Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Airline bag

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 10:26 am
will be flying and have not done so in years!
the airline does allow a bag (we checked-it was in the price)

What do ppl travel with these days - overnight bags? backpack? sling back?
I want something that will hold my book, papers, and something to eat, and maybe a neck pillow....

please advise, ty!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:01 pm
Bump because need to shop today

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:03 pm
Search Amazon for a travel bag. I use a large tote bag. There isn't something particular that most people use. Everyone uses what they like.

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:07 pm
I just flew today. People had carry-ons, backpacks, shopping bags, small duffle bags, and whatever else they found that would fit in the dimensions allowed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:38 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Search Amazon for a travel bag. I use a large tote bag. There isn't something particular that most people use. Everyone uses what they like.

thank you

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
I just flew today. People had carry-ons, backpacks, shopping bags, small duffle bags, and whatever else they found that would fit in the dimensions allowed.

thank you for the specifics.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:41 pm
Are you checking a bag or are you looking for a bag to bring on the flight with you?

Many people bring the small rolling suitcases that fit in the overhead compartments, however I find those convenient for getting around the airport but not so convenient once you're on the plane. There's limited room and if you don't get a spot for yours then the airline forces you to gate check it. Plus it's annoying to access during the flight. We travel with backpacks or tote bags that fit under the seats. I like one with lots of pockets so I can keep everything organized and be able to find what I'm looking for easily. Check with your airline, but most allow a bag plus a personal item so you can bring a purse as well.

If you're traveling with kids, make sure they don't overpack so that their bags will be too heavy.

By the way, neck pillows meant for traveling usually come with a way to attach them to a strap so they can clip on to the outside of your bag rather than taking up room inside. I bought one recently at the last minute before flying and ended up finding it uncomfortable, so take my advice and try some out before purchasing and schlepping one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:52 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Are you checking a bag or are you looking for a bag to bring on the flight with you?

Many people bring the small rolling suitcases that fit in the overhead compartments, however I find those convenient for getting around the airport but not so convenient once you're on the plane. There's limited room and if you don't get a spot for yours then the airline forces you to gate check it. Plus it's annoying to access during the flight. We travel with backpacks or tote bags that fit under the seats. I like one with lots of pockets so I can keep everything organized and be able to find what I'm looking for easily. Check with your airline, but most allow a bag plus a personal item so you can bring a purse as well.

If you're traveling with kids, make sure they don't overpack so that their bags will be too heavy.

By the way, neck pillows meant for traveling usually come with a way to attach them to a strap so they can clip on to the outside of your bag rather than taking up room inside. I bought one recently at the last minute before flying and ended up finding it uncomfortable, so take my advice and try some out before purchasing and schlepping one.

finding this quite helpful!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 12:55 pm
I agree with the above poster that it's so much easier to use a carry-on suitcase with wheels to get around the airport. It's true that it's not so easy to access during the fight, so I put my packed knapsack inside my carry-on suitcase, and then take out the knapsack on the airplane and keep it under the seat for easy access.

Have a safe flight and a good time! Hatzlacha.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:00 pm
If it’s a short flight I take a backpack. It fits by my feet and I have access to my things during the flight. If it’s a long flight I use a carryon size rolling suitcase so I can pack more food, change of clothes etc but I put a bag in it so I can take out what I need on the plane and keep that by my feet.
This is all assuming I’m checking a suitcase with whatever I don’t need on the plane.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:04 pm
I pack and backpacks. We each take a back back with our stuff. Sometimes I put a piece underneath but you can fit a lot in the backpack. You'd be surprised.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 1:11 pm
I just traveled with this shoulder bag brought onto the plane https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L.....ss_tl
Are you asking about checked in larger luggage or something you can bring on the plane with you?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 02 2023, 3:06 pm
Most airlines allow a 20"-21" rolling suitcase, as well as a personal item (another bag/backpack).
I find this helpful when I need to pack up clothes the way I would in a suitcase, but need to carry it like a backpack. Just check the size requirements, as this one is on the large size.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J.....ss_tl
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics