Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can I get by without an oven for pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:29 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I was never a fan of the convection oven but love my air fryer and actually use the air fryer setting the most (it has a few different settings like bake, roast, dehydrate, etc). I have a 5 quart one that has several preset cooking options and use it all the time. I got some disposable foil pans for it which works great (and you can buy silicone pans or use parchment paper as well) and keeps it nice and clean. I would totally invest in an air fryer for Pesach (although I wouldnt buy a smaller one) if I didnt have an oven since you can put it away and use it every Pesach. There are recipe blogs and video tutorials that you can look up if you want to learn more tricks on how to use it (like I have seen videos on omlettes and fritattas, eggplants, etc).
There are some cheaper ones on sale now which I will link some (although you would have to read the comments to see if they are good) but feel free to research it to see what else is available especially if you can afford to invest in better ones because there are tons of options:

https://www.taotronics.com/pro.....w_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Westing.....ss_tl

why dont you like convection oven?

is an air fryer just super convection? and you use it for kugel and chicken?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:46 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I was never a fan of the convection oven but love my air fryer and actually use the air fryer setting the most (it has a few different settings like bake, roast, dehydrate, etc). I have a 5 quart one that has several preset cooking options and use it all the time. I got some disposable foil pans for it which works great (and you can buy silicone pans or use parchment paper as well) and keeps it nice and clean. I would totally invest in an air fryer for Pesach (although I wouldnt buy a smaller one) if I didnt have an oven since you can put it away and use it every Pesach. There are recipe blogs and video tutorials that you can look up if you want to learn more tricks on how to use it (like I have seen videos on omlettes and fritattas, eggplants, etc).
There are some cheaper ones on sale now which I will link some (although you would have to read the comments to see if they are good) but feel free to research it to see what else is available especially if you can afford to invest in better ones because there are tons of options:

https://www.amazon.com/Westing.....ss_tl

ETA: Here is an article about the difference between the convection oven and air fryer-- https://www.seriouseats.com/ai.....imes.

seems like the only advantage of air fryer over a convection oven (a good one obviously) is it cooks faster.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
seems like the only advantage of air fryer over a convection oven (a good one obviously) is it cooks faster.

My air fryer has different features like roast, bake, reheat, dehydrate, etc which the convection oven doesnt have . I never found the convection oven to be useful and find that it doesnt cook well while the air fryer cooks works well and fast. You dont need an oven if you have an air fryer (but make sure you get the bigger version, the smaller ones defeat the purpose. and get disposable or silicone pans for easy use and cleanup) and would be my choice to buy if I didnt have access to an oven on Pesach. Seems like many imamothers are still stuck on the convection oven and dont realize that a good air fryer with several features is faster, better and easier to use. To each their own.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 3:05 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
My air fryer has different features like roast, bake, reheat, dehydrate, etc which the convection oven doesnt have . I never found the convection oven to be useful and find that it doesnt cook well while the air fryer cooks works well and fast. You dont need an oven if you have an air fryer (but make sure you get the bigger version, the smaller ones defeat the purpose. and get disposable or silicone pans for easy use and cleanup) and would be my choice to buy if I didnt have access to an oven on Pesach. Seems like many imamothers are still stuck on the convection oven and dont realize that a good air fryer with several features is faster, better and easier to use. To each their own.

I dont get you

below is a convection oven without air fryer. its also conventional, bake, roast, reheat,toast etc

and its bigger than a air fryer

https://www.breville.com/us/en.....SSUSC

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
I dont get you

below is a convection oven without air fryer. its also conventional, bake, roast etc

and its bigger than a air fryer

https://www.breville.com/us/en.....SSUSC

Fried food isnt the same as baked food. The air fryer is not the conventional oil fryer but texture is similar but a healthier version. Convection oven doesnt have that and food never came out good in convection oven. And you have the other features on the air fryer as well (as long as you dont buy a small one) so that is a bonus which is why it works well for Pesach if you dont have an oven. Anyway, you would have to try it to understand that its not the same thing but like I said, feel free to stick to the convection oven if that works for you. It doesnt work for me and I love my air fryer so I will stick with that. To each their own.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 3:15 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Fried food isnt the same as baked food. The air fryer is not the conventional oil fryer but texture is similar but a healthier version. Convection oven doesnt have that and food never came out good in convection oven. And you have the other features on the air fryer as well (as long as you dont buy a small one) so that is a bonus which is why it works well for Pesach if you dont have an oven. Anyway, you would have to try it to understand that its not the same thing but like I said, feel free to stick to the convection oven if that works for you. It doesnt work for me and I love my air fryer so I will stick with that. To each their own.

so the advantage is getting oven fried food? thats the only addition I will be getting if I buy a convection oven with all the features that you mentioned your air fryer has, mine also has?

just trying to be clear what the advantage is so I can decide. cos I dont need fried food and this oven is bigger with all the air fryer features....

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
so the advantage is getting oven fried food? thats the only addition I will be getting if I buy a convection oven with all the features that you mentioned your air fryer has, mine also has?

just trying to be clear what the advantage is so I can decide. cos I dont need fried food and this oven is bigger with all the air fryer features....

Like I said, I prefer the air fryer over the convection oven for several reasons that I already mentioned. It has multiple features, cooks well and fast which is the opposite of my experience with the convection oven. I prefer the air fryer but feel free to get the convection oven if you feel that works better for you. I hope you have a better experience with the convection oven than I did.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:39 pm
I remember coming across a cookie recipe for a hot plate (griddle).

You can try searching such recipes or try a regular thin cookie recipe on a griddle.
Or Betty crocker.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
Like I said, I prefer the air fryer over the convection oven for several reasons that I already mentioned. It has multiple features, cooks well and fast which is the opposite of my experience with the convection oven. I prefer the air fryer but feel free to get the convection oven if you feel that works better for you. I hope you have a better experience with the convection oven than I did.

sorry hope you dont mind be gaining clarity.

the reasons you mentioned about having multiple other functions - a convection oven has those too.
soagain it the air fryer function you seem to really enjoy.
what do you bake on air fryer mode?

happens to be that the breville comes with an air fryer version and its a nice size - bigger than what you posted - is such a breville air fryer convection oven what you would go for?

which convection oven were you not happy with?
so I can compare.

sorry driving you abit...

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
sorry hope you dont mind be gaining clarity.

the reasons you mentioned about having multiple other functions - a convection oven has those too.
soagain it the air fryer function you seem to really enjoy.
what do you bake on air fryer mode?

happens to be that the breville comes with an air fryer version and its a nice size - bigger than what you posted - is such a breville air fryer convection oven what you would go for?

which convection oven were you not happy with?
so I can compare.

sorry driving you abit...

Just chiming in that my parents had a convection. It did not really do a good job with cakes. Most cakes settled.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:26 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Just chiming in that my parents had a convection. It did not really do a good job with cakes. Most cakes settled.

yeah I heard that about convection but this one is a conventional with an additional function if you want to put it on convection.

I have a chametz convection that works well for cakes so am wondering if its the oven...

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:35 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
yeah I heard that about convection but this one is a conventional with an additional function if you want to put it on convection.

I have a chametz convection that works well for cakes so am wondering if its the oven...

Possibly. Chometz cakes are very different from pesach cakes.
In-laws also have a convection. DH claims it's the recipe and preparation method (beating, combining method) that matters. But when my parents got a regular oven the cakes stopped failing so much.

It's probably the whole combination. More delicate recipe requires careful preparation or a good oven.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:42 pm
Possibly. Chometz cakes are very different from pesach cakes.
In-laws also have a convection. DH claims it's the recipe and preparation method (beating, combining method) that matters. But when my parents got a regular oven the cakes stopped failing so much.

It's probably the whole combination. More delicate recipe requires careful preparation or a good oven.

is it better to bake kugel and chicken on convection or conventional?

I have chametz convection and it comes out very good but wonder if will be better conventional mode.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:51 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
is it better to bake kugel and chicken on convection or conventional?

I have chametz convection and it comes out very good but wonder if will be better conventional mode.

Hers was pareve. Kugel I don't remember.
As an aside my all year round oven has air fry feature which I like to use for a half hour on my kugel. Makes it more crispy.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:52 pm
https://www.kosher.com/shows/p.....ot-59
just came across this

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:16 pm
Hers was pareve. Kugel I don't remember.
As an aside my all year round oven has air fry feature which I like to use for a half hour on my kugel. Makes it more crispy.

is your all year round oven convection or conventional?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:13 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
is your all year round oven convection or conventional?

Conventional.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:17 pm
Conventional.

thats why probably the air fryer came to use to make it crispy.

with convection oven you dont need the air fryer for crispiness?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
thats why probably the air fryer came to use to make it crispy.

with convection oven you dont need the air fryer for crispiness?

Don't know. I never use convection for kugel.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:33 pm
I know people who made cheesecake in a bekelah in the Betty Crocker, as well as cookies.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen