Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation with husband near NY

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 11:54 am
I want to go away for 3-4 days with my husband. I don't want to go by plane; I am looking for something by car. A longer drive is ok. I need a nice place to stay, near shuls and kosher food. I would like someplace where I can enjoy nice scenery or interesting places to go. I was thinking of Vermont, but I'm not sure if winter is the time for that.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 12:26 pm
There's no shuls or kosher food in Vermont.
There aren't many options that fit your criteria. Maybe the Catskills, Deal, Philly.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 12:38 pm
your limiting factors are the shuls/restaurants. meaning, you have to choose a jewish community to go to if you want those amenities. if beach/ocean fits your criteria of views, then definitely consider long branch/deal where you'll have plethora of restaurants and shuls

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:22 pm
I was considering Arizona/ Florida at first but thinking of cutting down and going local. Shul is a must, food I can take along if that limits me. I was just wondering if there is even anything exciting I can do around NY or if I should go back to my original plan. Or are there more options once the weather gets nicer? Maybe I can do it right after Pesach.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was considering Arizona/ Florida at first but thinking of cutting down and going local. Shul is a must, food I can take along if that limits me. I was just wondering if there is even anything exciting I can do around NY or if I should go back to my original plan. Or are there more options once the weather gets nicer? Maybe I can do it right after Pesach.

Depends what you like to do! Lots of people go skiing/tubing in the Poconos or Vermont or hunter mountain. You can find things like malls, bowling alleys, movie theaters, museums even near any large city center. But as you k low flying usually takes a trip to an entirely different price point

doctorima

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:27 pm
If you want something drivable, check out Melour in Tannersville, NY - a kosher hotel that will take care of the food. Weekday minyan there isn't always reliable, though I would think that during President's Week the odds would be better.

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:29 pm
I would love to do a Hunter winter trip! I've been there twice in the summer. I would get a hotel room or Airbnb with a fireplace and hot tub. Go snowmobiling, skiing if you're good at it, if not just go up and down the chairlift. Find nearby snowtubing and ice skating. But it's a trip of 2 at most 3 days, not 4.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:45 pm
Thanks for your replies. Hunter might be good. I would like to hear more ideas.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Feb 03 2023, 1:52 pm
Consider Albany if you have a car. There are two hotels in the eruv, various airbnb listings, two shuls, no restaurants but plenty of kosher food. Many places to go to within 90 min drive. (Although some are outdoors, but many aren't.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics