Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is the Subway Safe for Me To Go?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 3:53 pm
I’m coming from Monsey to visit my father at Methodist Hospital. I’ll be staying near the 18th Ave train station tonight and figured it’s pretty quick to go via subway from 18th Ave to 7th Ave. However , I have not been on the subway in over a decade. Is it dangerous for me to go now? Would you go? If not, how do I get from BP to Methodist Hospital?

amother
Peony

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 3:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m coming from Monsey to visit my father at Methodist Hospital. I’ll be staying near the 18th Ave train station tonight and figured it’s pretty quick to go via subway from 18th Ave to 7th Ave. However , I have not been on the subway in over a decade. Is it dangerous for me to go now? Would you go? If not, how do I get from BP to Methodist Hospital?

Wouldn’t recommend… def not at night. Bus would be a better option or chesed ride organization may be able to help

ra_mom

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 4:06 pm
Not at night. Not on your own. Take a cab for the 11 Avenue blocks.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 4:43 pm
I was at a manhattan hotel. As I left the lobby the receptionist told me stay safe & don’t take the subway. This was last spring.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 5:51 pm
People keep saying not to take the train on this website, but in real life everyone I know who needs to take the train takes it, though not at night. Most men and women I know that work in Manhattan take the train there. Single girls in college are also likely to use it. It’s not the most pleasant experience but it’s considered a normal thing to do in my circles (JPF Flatbush). Nothing in life is perfectly safe and it’s part of living in a city with crime like NYC. I understand people that don’t feel comfortable taking the train though, this is just my experience.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 5:53 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
People keep saying not to take the train on this website, but in real life everyone I know who needs to take the train takes it, though not at night. Most men and women I know that work in Manhattan take the train there. Single girls in college are also likely to use it. It’s not the most pleasant experience but it’s considered a normal thing to do in my circles (JPF Flatbush). Nothing in life is perfectly safe and it’s part of living in a city with crime like NYC. I understand people that don’t feel comfortable taking the train though, this is just my experience.

OP isn't asking about taking the subway to Manhattan though. She's asking about Brooklyn.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:03 pm
Right, I mentioned that because that’s the most common reason people I know use the train. Methodist is in Park Slope which is a safe neighborhood I wouldn’t worry.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:14 pm
I take that route often. I feel safe enough. I wouldn’t go after dark though. Ubers should be less than $30 I think for this specific way, if you can afford that. Plug in both addresses and check.

momomany

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:15 pm
uber

professor

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

I use the subway all the time... at all hours. I think it's safe, but each person feels different

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:21 pm
I would take the subway during the day but not at night. Be cautious, don't wear airpods, and take note of your surroundings.

scintilla

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 6:32 pm
Perfectly fine IMO, at night too just not past 9 or so.

amother
Topaz

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 8:48 pm
Perfectly safe. I wouldn’t ride too late tho

Alwaysmiling

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 8:52 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
Perfectly safe. I wouldn’t ride too late tho

Same.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 3:58 pm
none of us know the future. having said that, I ride the train every day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:03 pm
I ended up taking an Uber. I realize when I asked it sounded like I was asking about last night. I wasn’t clear with my question. I went today. But I decided to be safe and stick with Uber. It was $16.95. It was also a pretty quick ride and door to door .

My mother thought it was funny that I was not taking the subway. She takes it all the time.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 4:04 pm
I ride the train daily. I feel safe. Life has no guarantees, but we continue to live life. I take the train at night too. Trains are quite full of working people at night. People coming home from events, work . almost fuller than daytime sometimes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries