Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
I need a new novel idea! WWY like to read about?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:44 pm
I've published two Jewish novels, one almost 7 years ago, one three years. The first one I wrote in high school, was semi historical fiction (think 80s, so life not that diff than today) and the other was a fictionalized version of major event in my life.

Since then BH been pregnant/nursing back to back, no energy or interest in writing really. I've been feeling the itch again but no ideas... I'm not brave enough to write about something totally unrealistic (IE lady from flatbush has run ins with the FBI) nor patient enough for a therapy type story where someone gets over their emotional problems with therapy.

Is there a topic you'd like to see that is appropriate for Jewish readers/publishers? Any ideas? I can easily expound on something. I had an idea to make a Jewish version of pride and prejudice but the Barbara Bensoussan beat me to it lol.

amother
Oak

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:46 pm
Historical fiction!

shaqued_almond

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I've published two Jewish novels, one almost 7 years ago, one three years. The first one I wrote in high school, was semi historical fiction (think 80s, so life not that diff than today) and the other was a fictionalized version of major event in my life.

Since then BH been pregnant/nursing back to back, no energy or interest in writing really. I've been feeling the itch again but no ideas... I'm not brave enough to write about something totally unrealistic (IE lady from flatbush has run ins with the FBI) nor patient enough for a therapy type story where someone gets over their emotional problems with therapy.

Is there a topic you'd like to see that is appropriate for Jewish readers/publishers? Any ideas? I can easily expound on something. I had an idea to make a Jewish version of pride and prejudice but the Barbara Bensoussan beat me to it lol.

Maybe another Austen novel as a drum story. Emma?

amother
Eggplant

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 10:54 pm
something showing every day problem and going for therapy being okay. maybe for teens.
good luck!!

mommy9

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:11 am
Another vote for historical fiction

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:17 am
What historical time period and place? Ive done cold war Hungary and 1600s in ny.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:21 am
A period not widely written about would be great! I love when it's something obscure.

amf

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:24 am
amother Oak wrote:
A period not widely written about would be great! I love when it's something obscure.

Read that as obscene Banging head Rolling Laughter

Time for bed, methinks

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:33 am
Spanish Inquisition

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:35 am
Spanish Inquisition

I love medical anything. Think Libby Klein books in English (do not know Hebrew)

LisaS

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 1:18 am
I would be more likely to purchase a book that is based on a true story than fiction. I love stories of people that overcame hardships. I never get tired of real people's life stories.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:10 pm
LisaS wrote:
I would be more likely to purchase a book that is based on a true story than fiction. I love stories of people that overcame hardships. I never get tired of real people's life stories.

You should try my last book then...
https://www.feldheim.com/for-my-child-1

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:19 pm
My life can pass as a novel! Interview me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:22 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
My life can pass as a novel! Interview me.

Most of what happens nowadays is too close to home/sad/scary to be something I want to revisit... Therapy, medical stuff, divorce, childlessness...

If your life is totally unrealistic I'd be interested...

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:29 pm
I liked your book a lot. I used to see the old Spanish Portegese cemetery in Lower Manhattan sometimes so I found your book fascinating. And the historical info at the end was great.

If you could please do some “kosher romance”.

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:30 pm
I was going to say historical fiction when I saw your title!

Personally I enjoy late 1800s-1900's when immigrants were coming to America and what Jewish life was like

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

What is the title of Barbara's book?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:32 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I liked your book a lot. I used to see the old Spanish Portegese cemetery in Lower Manhattan sometimes so I found your book fascinating. And the historical info at the end was great.

Thanks so much! So nice to get feedback! I've had a few people who only read the modern day part so nice to hear you read the diary part too.

Thinking about doing something with a piece of family history... My great grandmother was an immigrant from Poland who went back home to find a chosson. Wonder what I could do with that and if my family would be ok with it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:33 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
What is the title of Barbara's book?

https://www.amazon.com/Pride-P.....58331

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Jun 29 2023, 11:39 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:

Those two words don't fit so well together for a book LOL

How in the world do you have a book geared to the Yeshivish population that involves romance but is %100 kosher?

How can a book intertwine romance while still adhering to the strict values of frum literature?

Also, why is this kind of book even necessary?!
Why do we need a frum novel involving romance? Should I even ask? LOL
(What type of people would even read it?)

Furthermore, what is the purpose or significance of a frum novel centered around romance? Is there a genuine need or demand for such literature within the observant Jewish community?

What is the rationale?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club