Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Advice - did you start your own company/service?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:48 am
I would love to go to work now after being a sahm for 20 years. I do not want to work as a secretary or other what I perceive as blah jobs. I need creativity, I’m a hard worker, people person. However I have low self esteem so starting something has been extremely daunting and terrifying. I want to start a service using my creativity but Im not sure how to actually start it. I keep second guessing myself and I know I shouldn’t think about too much rather jump into it. I also know many many people fail until they don’t. So my question is have any of you gone thru this and how did you help yourself? How did you just jump into it? As a side note dh has his own issues and will not be able to give me the 100% support. Maybe that’s the reason I haven’t jumped in yet - I’m not sure.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:35 pm
for me it was a hobby first. once I realized I was making a lot more per hour than in my traditional job, I quit my traditional job at the end of that contract.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 9:59 pm
Make it real.
Come up with a name, and then buy the domain on GoDaddy. Create an LLC (I think this costs about $250 iirc). Snag your name on social media media before someone else does.
Boom, you’re in business.
Now if someone asks what you do, tell them. I’m an illustrator. I’m a writer. I design bookends, I create sticker packages for journals, I plan parties. Make it real. It is real.
Now you can believe in yourself.
I don’t know what kind of creative venture you have in mind, but the first couple of jobs may be hard. You might doubt yourself. You might not earn a lot because you are afraid to charge more. Push yourself. There’s a reason you want to go into this, because chances are you’re great at it.
Do your best to give your client the best experience. Chances are she’ll refer you further.
Have some patience.
Work hard.
Daven to Hashem.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:09 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
for me it was a hobby first. once I realized I was making a lot more per hour than in my traditional job, I quit my traditional job at the end of that contract.

Same. I did the hobby while also doing the traditional job.
When my side hustle grew big enough, I quit the other job.
I am now making much more money for much less time working.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 10:37 pm
You can set up shop on a freelance site if you have a specific creative talent. I use Fiverr.com but there are others. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics