Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Clear guidelines for Opwdd and hcbs brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:09 pm
Can someone clearly state the difference between the two?

Who specifically is eligible for opwdd?

Who specifically is eligible for hcbs?

What are the services legally provided by each?

Can people working for those agencies tell us the legal and technical requirements?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:16 pm
Opwdd is for those specifically with developmental or severe physical disabilities. A person needs to get tested to see if they qualify. And it's for life
Hcbs services is for those who have severe emotional difficulties. It's only until an individual turns 21. And it's for those people who have medicaid.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 12:27 pm
I believe it varies by state but in NY, a HCBS waiver is through OPWDD.

Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (OPWDD)
The OPWDD Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS) Waiver operated by the Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) is a program of supports and services that enables adults and children with developmental disabilities to live in the community as an alternative to Intermediate Care Facilities (ICFs).

What are the services and who provides them?
OPWDD administers this HCBS Waiver. It is OPWDD's primary funding mechanism for supporting individuals in the community by providing a variety of services and supports that are uniquely tailored and individualized to meet each person's needs. These services can include habilitation services, respite care, service coordination, and adaptive technologies. Services are provided either by OPWDD's Developmental Disabilities Services Office (DDSO) staff or through voluntary not-for-profit agencies who have been authorized to provide HCBS waiver services by OPWDD or the NYS Department of Health (DOH).

Who is eligible?
To be eligible for opportunities in the OPWDD HCBS Waiver, an individual must:

have a diagnosis of a developmental disability,
be eligible for the ICF/MR level of care,
be Medicaid eligible, and
have chosen HCBS waiver services over institutional care.
A person who is eligible and lives in NYS can request to be enrolled in the HCBS waiver by contacting the DDSO or a provider agency that serves the county in which the person lives.

https://www.health.ny.gov/heal.....d.htm

Here is more info on it-- https://opwdd.ny.gov/getting-s.....vices

Here is the opwdd program-- https://opwdd.ny.gov/types-services

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:54 pm
Which category would someone with a chronic medical condition be?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:55 pm
Also, in practical words, what services can legally be gotten that would fit the criteria?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:10 pm
I work in the field for many years. Opwdd is for developmental delays only. Hence the name. Office for ppl with development disabilities. It's for life. Hcbs children's waiver is for either medically fragile or seriously emotionally distirbed kids under 21. Ask me anything

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:05 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I work in the field for many years. Opwdd is for developmental delays only. Hence the name. Office for ppl with development disabilities. It's for life. Hcbs children's waiver is for either medically fragile or seriously emotionally distirbed kids under 21. Ask me anything

I got approved for OPWDD for a 4 yr old and was told it's only up to age 8

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:06 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I got approved for OPWDD for a 4 yr old and was told it's only up to age 8

Definitely not accurate.
Are you sure it was OPWDD?

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:12 pm
Opwdd grants provisional eligibility for everyone under 8. Once they turn 8 they need to redo evals to determine permanent eligibility for life.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:13 pm
cnc wrote:
Definitely not accurate.
Are you sure it was OPWDD?

Yes. He got approved because of global development delay. Which they retest once a child is 8

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:16 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Opwdd grants provisional eligibility for everyone under 8. Once they turn 8 they need to redo evals to determine permanent eligibility for life.

Thank you. So from what I understand, if the evals at 8 determines that they're no longer eligible, then they get removed from OPWDD, am I correct?

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:21 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Thank you. So from what I understand, if the evals at 8 determines that they're no longer eligible, then they get removed from OPWDD, am I correct?

Yes if they no longer have delays they get removed from OPWDD

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 6:34 pm
Correct as opwdd feels some kids outgrow their diagnosis at that age

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 7:18 pm
Thanks. Just wanted to know I understood it correctly.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:

I know many special ed programs are using self direction for funding. Is that legal?

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Feb 20 2023, 8:31 pm
OP, if youre in ny, try calling hamaspik. they provide both services. even if youre not in NY, call them, maybe they can help you work out what youre looking for.

my son gets hcbs services from them for emotional/behavior issues. I know someone who gets opwdd services through them for an asd child. call them and see if they can help you. good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)