Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Stroller vs Carrier

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 5:28 pm
Is a stroller or a carrier better for avoiding container baby syndrome? Or a mix of using both equally? Looking online the information seems conflicting and we don't yet have a pediatrician to ask (early in pregnancy, but if we want an expensive stroller we should budget for it sooner).

We are deciding whether to splurge on a stroller or get a more budget stroller if instead we'll be using a carrier more often. We live in a city and love going for walks so this baby will b'eh be out and about a lot.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:16 am
How much of the time are you thinking of having the child in the stroller? The issue with container baby syndrome is a lot of time spent in 'containers' so moving the child from stroller to baby chair or car seat, to high chair or swing, where they're not getting any time to just explore and move around on the floor. And by a lot of time that refers to many hours of the day.
I personally don't like wearing my baby as I find it uncomfortable. Different people have different preferences. I also think a baby can move around more in a stroller than they can strapped to a parent.
But from your specific question, I would say unless you're planning to keep your baby in the stroller for most of the day, then I wouldn't be concerned from that point of view.
From a more practical point of view, I would say it's a very personal preference.

imaima

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 3:19 am
It doesn’t matter as long as you carry or put him on the floor enough.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:51 am
Also using a bassinet stroller in the beginning few months can also help because it's allows the baby to move more and you can put them supervised on their stomachs in there

SG18

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:59 pm
I find it easier to go out with baby in the carrier, especially in the city. Easier to navigate busses/trains, baby can often sleep for multiple hours at a time, and it's hands free.

Raindance

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 2:25 pm
The first two months I don't think you need to worry too much about either. they aren't so awake and mobile yet.

Things to have in mind with carriers: Get one with a good lower back support.
You will be carrying the baby's weight, so it can get heavy.
Different carriers are for different weight, use accordingly.

Things to have in mind with strollers: you will use a bassinet the first months (recommended until the baby can sit on their own which is about 6-7 months, though I know babies who are too curious to stay lying down past two months when they are a wake.) get one that's spacious.
When you switch to regular seat, there are two types; bucket or flat. Meaning that either the baby's knees will be forced to be bent by the shape of the seat, or straight.

Either way, I think your main fear is that baby will be confined for too long, and so I don't think it matters so much how they are transported as long as you

1. do tummy time throughout the day when baby is awake. If baby (or you) doesn't like tummy time, you can have baby on your chest so that (s)he looks at your face and tries to lift head and neck up.

2. put baby down on the floor even on it's back so that baby can move around. Some four month olds can roll over.

3. Even when out on a walk, if you're in a park or a shop or mall, you can take baby out and let it crawl on grass, sit on a bench with you etc. you might nurse? so that means once in three hours the baby needs to be held anyway.

My personal conclusion is that a carrier might be good for the beginning, but a spacious bassinet and later a nice seat in a stroller will facilitate more movement. 9 month old babies can hold on to the bar and lean forwards, lift hands , reach out, point etc. but of course, don't plop down your baby from one seat to the next throughout the day when (s)he can already or should already lift head, turn over, crawl, and so on.

B'shaa tova, you should only have nachas from this and all of your kids!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:01 pm
Sommerfugl wrote:
The first two months I don't think you need to worry too much about either. they aren't so awake and mobile yet.

Things to have in mind with carriers: Get one with a good lower back support.
You will be carrying the baby's weight, so it can get heavy.
Different carriers are for different weight, use accordingly.

Things to have in mind with strollers: you will use a bassinet the first months (recommended until the baby can sit on their own which is about 6-7 months, though I know babies who are too curious to stay lying down past two months when they are a wake.) get one that's spacious.
When you switch to regular seat, there are two types; bucket or flat. Meaning that either the baby's knees will be forced to be bent by the shape of the seat, or straight.

Either way, I think your main fear is that baby will be confined for too long, and so I don't think it matters so much how they are transported as long as you

1. do tummy time throughout the day when baby is awake. If baby (or you) doesn't like tummy time, you can have baby on your chest so that (s)he looks at your face and tries to lift head and neck up.

2. put baby down on the floor even on it's back so that baby can move around. Some four month olds can roll over.

3. Even when out on a walk, if you're in a park or a shop or mall, you can take baby out and let it crawl on grass, sit on a bench with you etc. you might nurse? so that means once in three hours the baby needs to be held anyway.

My personal conclusion is that a carrier might be good for the beginning, but a spacious bassinet and later a nice seat in a stroller will facilitate more movement. 9 month old babies can hold on to the bar and lean forwards, lift hands , reach out, point etc. but of course, don't plop down your baby from one seat to the next throughout the day when (s)he can already or should already lift head, turn over, crawl, and so on.

B'shaa tova, you should only have nachas from this and all of your kids!

This is super helpful, thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics