Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is this ok (teacher’s language)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:00 pm
My son was imitating his teacher one day and he said “shut your mouth”. I was very disturbed. Is this ok or am I being super sensitive. sounds like bad language to me. I send to an ultra chassidish cheder. How should I approach this?

wifeandmore

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:13 pm
Not okay in Any school

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
My son was imitating his teacher one day and he said “shut your mouth”. I was very disturbed. Is this ok or am I being super sensitive. sounds like bad language to me. I send to an ultra chassidish cheder. How should I approach this?

Your first problem is your son imitating his teacher. That’s disrespectful.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:38 pm
This happened to me

My daughter is 10, and plays 'school'.
I overheard the same language and when I asked her, she agreedthat she really does talk like that.

I called the main teacher, and told her.
I asked her to keep it discreet and she took care of it.

App I was the only mother to call.
(Im also the youngest mother in the class)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 6:38 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Your first problem is your son imitating his teacher. That’s disrespectful.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. He was just imitating his teacher at home. To his siblings

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:18 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
This happened to me

My daughter is 10, and plays 'school'.
I overheard the same language and when I asked her, she agreedthat she really does talk like that.

I called the main teacher, and told her.
I asked her to keep it discreet and she took care of it.

App I was the only mother to call.
(Im also the youngest mother in the class)

Thanks. Appreciate your reply and direction.

NechaMom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

No, it’s really unacceptable.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 11:43 pm
I’d find out more before accusing the teacher. It’s a pretty bad way to speak to kids in school.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:00 am
Is the teacher a chassidish guy? Maybe because he's chassidish and perhaps doesn't have a good English vocabulary, he doesn't know that it's not an appropriate thing to say. I'd try to find out in which context it was said. Maybe he was just trying to translate "mach tzee dein moil".

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:12 am
We had a high school teacher a very yeshivish lady who would say “girls just shut your mouths” I thought it was very weird.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:31 am
Ask your son if he says other things that aren't so nice you might be surprised, it's good you picked it up.
My son had a teacher who was totally crazy, one day towards the end of the year he told me something he said to another boy. I didn't send him back to school once I heard what he said. Turns out he was out of line and inappropriate in many ways

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:14 am
No. Not ok.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:41 am
We had a high school teacher that used to scream at us "girls I'm going to make minced meat out of you if you don't behave."

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:55 pm
Thanks all for your responses

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:58 pm
Of course it's better if he'd say please be quiet but I don't think this is one of the top ten crimes of an English teacher in a chassidishe mosdos. I've heard wayyy worse. Sorry if this came across too flippant. (its not a nice way of speaking of course)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:47 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Of course it's better if he'd say please be quiet but I don't think this is one of the top ten crimes of an English teacher in a chassidishe mosdos. I've heard wayyy worse. Sorry if this came across too flippant. (its not a nice way of speaking of course)

Sorry but that is not ok. We shouldn’t tolerate this and absolutely anything worse.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sorry but that is not ok. We shouldn’t tolerate this and absolutely anything worse.
I'm assuming that this is one of your older children. I understand that you are upset about it.
Unfortunately no one is doing anything about bettering the english department in most chassidishe chedarim. I wish it wasn't so. There is the ideal and then there is the real.
It's not ok, but this is one of the lesser things that are not ok. That's just what I was trying to point out.

Last edited by ShishKabob on Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:55 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

It should be. If it isn't, that itself is a problem.

It's not ok in a public school. It would get one reprimanded if not fired in a public school.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:56 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
It should be. If it isn't, that itself is a problem.

It's not ok in a public school. It would get one reprimanded if not fired in a public school.
for saying shut your mouth?

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 1:58 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

I agree.

Teachers are human. I understand if they
Yell at your little angels once in awhile.

Unless your child is afraid to go to school,

I would let it go.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics