Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Dd rejected from all seminaries she applied to?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:12 pm
Help please! My dd has good grades, good middos, and is well liked. We’re a regular Lakewood yeshivish family, and she’s a regular Bais Yaakov girl. She applied to 3 seminaries that are her type, but her principal just called and said none of them are planning to accept her because they have so many applicants this year. Where should my dd apply now, behind the scenes, before letters go out, that will be a good regular seminary with good girls that actually has room for her?

Her principal was shocked they aren’t taking her and had several suggestions, but I wanted to hear what imamothers had to say. We’re happy to apply to several places if it might help.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:27 pm
Can she stay local?
It's interesting the the seminaries are already giving feedback, I know some girls who are still having interviews this week.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:28 pm
I also have a daughter applying to sem and im surprised you got such feedback already.
I thought no one gets any info on acceptance till the end of February?
Which school in lkwd does your daughter go to?
I dont know anyone that got any feedback yet.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:39 pm
Im surprised u got feedback already.
My daughter also applied and she was told that they’ll be finding out end of February. I thought everyone gets answers same time..?
What school is ur daughter in?

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:40 pm
I imagine that you’ll need to go with the suggestions that the school is making as they are the ones with the ability to talk directly to thr sems. And make sure to assure her that it’s a numbers thing and nothing to do with her!

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:40 pm
I don't understand how the seminaries are allowed to play around with girls like this.
All the seminaries need to be in touch and make sure that all applicants are placed somewhere.
I know this is the norm at this point. But it's so beyond sad and awful.
I hope your daughter and everyone else gets placed. Rejection is so painful and it hurts thinking how the system is allowed to do this to these young sweet nice girls.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:41 pm
In many schools I was told the principal helps girls who dont get in, to get in somewhere else.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:49 pm
I have lived a very happy life and did not go to seminary in Israel.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:52 pm
Why do people post unhelpful responses? She wants to go to seminary and doesn’t care that people didn’t go, it’s not relevant.

I would apply to the places the principal suggested because she likely has pull there.

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:54 pm
Curious if you don’t mind sharing- which sems did she apply to?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:57 pm
Letters go out in a couple of weeks, the principals are working hard with the parents in our situation to scramble to apply elsewhere so everyone gets in somewhere when letters go out.

The principal doesn’t have pull in the places she suggested, that’s why I’m a little nervous.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:58 pm
This happened to my daughter.
The principals do find out in advance because they are in communication with the seminaries.
I don't know exactly what the timeline is, and maybe this is very early in the game.
But consider yourself lucky that you got this info.
If u tell us the three she applied to, maybe we can tell you where else she can apply.

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:59 pm
At this point you need to rely on the principal to secure her a spot- if she doesn’t have pull she still is able to contact them directly which you unfortunately will not be able to do. Want to post the names of the ones that she suggested and get reviews on them?

MindOverMatter

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 1:49 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
This happened to my daughter.
The principals do find out in advance because they are in communication with the seminaries.
I don't know exactly what the timeline is, and maybe this is very early in the game.
But consider yourself lucky that you got this info.
If u tell us the three she applied to, maybe we can tell you where else she can apply.

agreed. It's too hard to make suggestions without knowing which 3 she applied to (To get a feel for what she likes, type, hashkafa, etc) But I'm also in the same parshah as other other moms on here, and would love to help with suggestions.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 8:10 pm
OP, are you the same mother who started the other thread?
Can you try Ateres? They decided literally last second to reopen and it's not a small place, so maybe they have room. Bnos Shoshana and Havineini are newish seminaries.
All of them are solid BY seminaries, from what I heard.
There's also this new place whose name escapes me. The principal is Rebbetzin Twersky. It sounded pretty yeshivishe from my limited research.

Optione

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Orange wrote:
I don't understand how the seminaries are allowed to play around with girls like this.
All the seminaries need to be in touch and make sure that all applicants are placed somewhere.

I think they're doing exactly what you're saying- no games involved. It's BECAUSE the girl didn't get into anywhere that the principal called BEFORE letters go out so that this girl can come up with a plan B and get an acceptance there the same time as everyone else.
What am I missing?

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 8:42 pm
Op, This happened to my dd last year. It was so stressful but bh she ended up in a great place and is having a very good year. We didnt apply to that place at the first round, because we didnt even know it was an option.
The problem was most of my dds grade had applied to the same 3 places although the mechaneches already knew that only 3 or 4 girls would get in! There are just too many girls vying for a limited amount of spots in a select few "top" seminaries.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 8:45 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
OP, are you the same mother who started the other thread?
Can you try Ateres? They decided literally last second to reopen and it's not a small place, so maybe they have room. Bnos Shoshana and Havineini are newish seminaries.
All of them are solid BY seminaries, from what I heard.
There's also this new place whose name escapes me. The principal is Rebbetzin Twersky. It sounded pretty yeshivishe from my limited research.

Bnos Shoshana is very competitive this year. Don't know anything about Havineini. Nobody I know seems to know what is happening withe Ateres, but it's definitely worth a look.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:19 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
Bnos Shoshana is very competitive this year. Don't know anything about Havineini. Nobody I know seems to know what is happening withe Ateres, but it's definitely worth a look.

Oh my. What's going on with Kesser Chaya?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Feb 12 2023, 9:49 pm
9 years ago I was that girl. Rejected from all seminaries because there was simply too many applicants. I ended up somewhere but honestly felt out of place and didn't have the best year.
BH now my life is amazing and I'm super happy so just know seminary is not end all be all Smile
Hatzlacha! I hope it all works out in the end!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info