Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shabbos meals for 5 young adult men

QUEENY

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:27 pm
Can someone please post ideas of a menu for Friday night and Shabbos. I am not a cook. My kids don't really eat much on shabbos. My 20 year old ds is inviting 4-5 guys over for Shabbos. What do boys eat these days for both meals? I know to have a lot of challah and dips, deli roll, gefilte fish..what else? Shabbos day fish, cholent, kishka and potato kugel and...?

amf

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:38 pm
Friday nite: kugel, a roast if you want. The guys might appreciate a "Friday night cholent", if you really want to patchke. This works best if you have mini crockpot you can put up aside for the regular shabbos day cholent.
I also like to have some popcorn, nuts, candy and chocolate for dessert/oneg. I can go clean up (read: sneak off to my room with a magazine) while the guys hang out. (This is also when you'd serve the fri nite cholent)

Shabbos day: I make Hasselback salami which is always a favorite with the guys
Grilled chicken
Deli roll
Cholent with lots of meat and barley

naomi2

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:41 pm
I'll give you a menu that I would make if I were having those guests

Challah
Dips
Gefilte
(You can add salmon)
Salad (hearts of palm, or corn salad, or lettuce salad)
Soup
Chicken
Potatoes or kugel or rice
Roasted vegetables
Cole slaw

Dessert-anything

Challah
Dips
Fish ( or eggs and liver)
Salad
Choulent
Deli roll
Chicken fingers
String beans
Cranberry apple crumble

Dessert-anything

healthymom1

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:43 pm
Friday nights
Fish. Dips. Challah. Salads
Soup
Meat and or chicken
Vegetable
Dessert

Shabbos day
Fish. Challah. Dips. Salad
Chulent
Kugel
Kishka
Deli roll
schnitzel (good all temps)
Dessert

Have candy platter. Fruit platter. Popcorn. Munch stuff

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:44 pm
QUEENY wrote:
Can someone please post ideas of a menu for Friday night and Shabbos. I am not a cook. My kids don't really eat much on shabbos. My 20 year old ds is inviting 4-5 guys over for Shabbos. What do boys eat these days for both meals? I know to have a lot of challah and dips, deli roll, gefilte fish..what else? Shabbos day fish, cholent, kishka and potato kugel and...?

Friday night options that are a hit with guys: fried chicken cutlets, or some kind of chicken nuggets like General Tzo’s, corned beef roast, brisket, kugels (salt and pepper, yerushalmi, potato), Mazza platter

Shabbos day: Chopped liver/egg salad, cold cuts platter or deli roll, shnitzel

Dessert: cake, ice cream

pajamamama

Post Sun, Feb 05 2023, 8:47 pm
For friday night- poppers are always a hit with guys
For shabbos day- chulent with a lot of meat and either just a platter of deli or deli roll along with other meat or chicken variety

DREAMING

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:18 pm
QUEENY wrote:

The menu sounds great. Maybe a salad too. For riday night some warm chicken or meat. For shabbos day chicken nuggets served room temp.

rachelli66

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 12:26 pm
You can start with Challah and dips, fish and Vegetable salads. For 5 bochurim I would have at least 2 Challah just for them for a meal. Soup is great and filling. Meat, kugel, slaw, maybe a vegie like green beans. Nice dessert, pie, ice cream. Nice drinks, nice wine on the table for the fish. Nosh for after the meal. nuts, chips. drinks. Nice cake for Kiddush in morning. Dips, Challah, liver or fish. Meaty Chulent or Deli roll. Nice potato kugel. Slaw. Nice dessert. Nosh for afternoon. Nice fruits in your fridge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics