Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Recruiters not answering back

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 6:18 am
Not for me, but my dh. He emailed and whatsapped so many recruiters and the only ones that responded were the non jewish ones. Why is that??? He is already so cynical with jews and yiddishkeit Sad

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 7:36 am
I dont know but had the same experience

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 8:27 am
same experience

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 9:04 am
Job searching is very frustrating indeed but because I have been a recruiter for a couple of years I know that recruiting is a rather very misunderstood industry.

Speaking for myself I always tried to be nice upfront and honest about what I could or couldn't deliver to candidates when interviewing them.

I know that there are spam recriturers that have no idea what recruiting is and they are not honest and they make the industry look shady and cruel.

They overpsomise and tell people about jobs that don't exist and then let them hang.

I hope you weren't a victim of one of them and if yes I just want to validate that. I am sorry.

Having said all that-

First of all we have to differentiate between recruiters and job agencies.

Recruiters are not agencies.
They are not chesed organizations.
They do not work for the candidates.

They don't get paid by the candidate.
They don't get paid for the time they spend with you.

They get paid for placements and they get paid by the company.

They have to spend their time wisely otherwise they'll waste their time for things that don't bring them a dime.

Once you understand that you'll understand their mindset. Serious recruiters aren't playing games with you or with their own time.

Candidates that feel entitled to the recruiter's time simply do not understand this industry.

So the recruiter took your resume and then interviewed you? That doesn't mean that they can keep working for you all day.

They need to put bread on their table, just like you!

They need to please the company that they are hiring for and therefore they will only get back to you when they have something for you that also brings them money.

I know you think it's just one phone call or message to get back to you but you're not the only candidate waiting for that.

If they do 25 interviews a week they'll have to communicate with 100 people by the end of the month.

Do the math.

Can you see how if they lose focus this can suddenly become a nice volunteer job?

Ok. So how come the non Jewish recruiter did get back to you?

It doesn't mean they're necessarily nicer.

It can mean that they're completely incompetent and have no idea how to prioritize and how to use their time wisely.

Get back to me when you got a signed offer letter for a JOB from a non Jewish recruiter in a Jewish friendly company in the Tristate area.

And if you think non Jewish experienced recruiters get back to anyone then check out LinkedIn.

You'll find plenty of sob stories from non jews that didn't get a single call back from non Jewish recruiters.

I hope you all find a parnassah soon!

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:23 am
Never had success with recruiting agencies either.. only once I had a job did they call me sand say hey we may have something for you…

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:30 am
This is why I hate it how everything is done through recruiters these days. I wish we could be in touch with the actual company when applying to a job, but no, you have to email a recruiter…

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:40 am
If he isn't getting responses from recruiters, it is because there are no good fits in terms of the jobs. it is not different than sending in a resume to a company directly and not hearing from them.

You should of course make sure that the resume is absolutely as good as it can be. Resumes which are used in today's "digital" environment are quite a bit different than ones used as often they aren't even read by a human by scanned for certain keywords.

And even if read, there are certain more modern ways that resumes are now structured so make sure that the resume is as good as possible. There are books on this as well as people you can pay to actually help do this or courses on effective job searches are often free by organizations.

In today's digital world many people have different resumes depending on the job being applied for. Not that they are faking their experience or background but just that they highlight different areas of competence and experience.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:48 am
amother Peach wrote:
If he isn't getting responses from recruiters, it is because there are no good fits in terms of the jobs. it is not different than sending in a resume to a company directly and not hearing from them.

It is different. When speaking directly to someone at the job you have someone to talk to. Recruiters have a million different things on their heads, there’s less personal connection and what they care about is getting a company an employee, but it doesn’t matter who or what, so they are looking for different keywords and years of experience etc.

When speaking directly to someone at a job they actually care about that specific role being filled so they’re more motivated to hear you, specifically, out. They can also decide on the spot if they want to be flexible about certain requirements once they’re speaking with a candidate and see other things he/she has to offer.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:00 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
It is different. When speaking directly to someone at the job you have someone to talk to. Recruiters have a million different things on their heads, there’s less personal connection and what they care about is getting a company an employee, but it doesn’t matter who or what, so they are looking for different keywords and years of experience etc.

When speaking directly to someone at a job they actually care about that specific role being filled so they’re more motivated to hear you, specifically, out. They can also decide on the spot if they want to be flexible about certain requirements once they’re speaking with a candidate and see other things he/she has to offer.

I am not sure why this matters as it is a distinction without a difference.

I have applied for many jobs directly to corporations and not received a response. And sometimes I have received a response when my experience and qualifications match their needs.

In my experience, I haven't found either recruiters or companies more or less responsive since even people working for a company have limited time they want to spend. At most one might receive a form email acknowledging receipt - and then silence.

My point is only that in my experience when people want to contact you, they contact you. If they don't there really isn't a mystery - either there is no current position that matches with your OR there is something lacking in your resume if you are not getting responses

The only time I expect any kind of a response is if I actually had some type of interview for an actual position and then simple courtesy would be at least a form email. Or if a recruiter reached out to me (which is something genuine recruiters do as they attempt to find people through their networks) I would expect some kind of follow up as a simple courtesy.

But I would have no expectations if I sent a resume in to either a recruiter or a company in response to some kind of "posting".

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:02 am
If you have what a recruiter is interested in and can place, go with that. It doesn't matter if they are Jewish or not. Go where your skills will be paid for and are valued. It's business.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 11:12 am
that is frustrating but not surprising. job searching is really hard. I'm sorry. recruiters generally have very specific jobs they are filling and it's unusual to have someone reach out on their own who is the right person
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics