Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Has inattentive adhd, maybe also anxiety?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:03 pm
We had a meeting a month ago with the school that prompted my husband to allow me to medicate him. We got the ball rolling and started the medicine 2 weeks later. Dose wasn't enough so we upped it this week. The teacher says it's doing something but she suggests we look into treating his anxiety. I don't disagree but I am not sure what the next step should be. Has anyone treated both? He is a well behaved kid. Some rigidity but I think it's from being overwhelmed. I do plan to call the doctor to discuss it. He is a smart kid, which helps. I would like to keep in a regular program with support.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Feb 06 2023, 10:37 pm
Can you tell us what you're seeing and what you/she are concerned about?

Note that some stimulant medications can worsen anxiety or trigger it. I wonder if that's what the teacher is seeing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 07 2023, 7:19 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Can you tell us what you're seeing and what you/she are concerned about?

Note that some stimulant medications can worsen anxiety or trigger it. I wonder if that's what the teacher is seeing.

He definitely had anxiety before we started the medication. I think it's more noticeable now that he is more focused.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:24 am
One can have anxiety and adhd

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 4:03 am
Anxiety is a side affect of many adhd medications.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 6:42 am
I have a child with autism/adhd/anxiety. The adhd cannot be medicated, because it makes the anxiety worse. She’s little- early elementary. I’m not sure that we’re up to giving her SSRIs for anxiety. Right now we’re working with therapy.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 6:54 am
DH has social anxiety and ADHD. When he started Ritalin the psychiatrist was extra busy getting the right dose of meds and they had weekly meetings to see if the anxiety got worst.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)