Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Areivim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:32 am
What is the deal with this organization?

They are advertising very heavily and tried to get my husband to sign up yesterday

Is it worth it?

Is it better to get life insurance? Both?

We are a young couple with a baby

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:34 am
amother OP wrote:

They are advertising very heavily and tried to get my husband to sign up yesterday

Is it worth it?

Worth yes. We have both

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:35 am
We have Areivim they give $150,000 per single child under 30something and for the surviving spouse too if there is I think 3 kids or more at home

They collect about $28 every time a member passes away otherwise theres no membership charges. I thought it wouldnt be so often but unfortunately its almost every month

Im also wondering if we should get life insurance besides

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:38 am
Anyone have a number?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:40 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Anyone have a number?

For any questions or for further assistance feel free to contact us at:
1-877-827-3484 / 1-866-727-3484 / 718-977-5089
By email office@areivimusa.org or by replying to this email.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:50 am
amother Linen wrote:
We have Areivim they give $150,000 per single child under 30something and for the surviving spouse too if there is I think 3 kids or more at home

They collect about $28 every time a member passes away otherwise theres no membership charges. I thought it wouldnt be so often but unfortunately its almost every month

Im also wondering if we should get life insurance besides

read carefully
"Areivim USA will determine the amount of funds raised and distributed per orphan, based on an evaluation of need, as determined through predetermined criteria."
unlike life insurance that I get to decide how much money I'm signing up for, I am allowing someone else to do decide how much money my children should be getting if I die chas v'shalom.
so if they decide that I have enough other savings my child might get less even if want my child to get this money so that they can pay for trauma therapy lets say... you are handing discretion over to someone else. That's not life insurance to me.

"he bereaved family’s funds will be overseen and distributed by trustees comprised of all or some of an Areivim USA representative, a representative of the family, a financially-proficient individual selected by the family, and a rabbinical advisor."

I'm not saying this is necessarily bad. this is the way a tzedakah should run, which is really what it is. but just realize that. it's tzedakah which is why they say you can use maaser money. it's not life insurance.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:53 am
How can it be better than life insurance? Definitely get life insurance besides.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:55 am
better? it's cheaper, you can technically use maaser money supposedly and you know that the payments you are doing are going to poor people and not to line the pockets of the life insurance company. I still do life insurance instead. I just understand the logic

eta: added the not before the "to line"
hope that makes more sense!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 11:57 am
amother Oak wrote:
better? it's cheaper, you can technically use maaser money supposedly and you know that the payments you are doing are going to poor people and to line the pockets of the life insurance company. I still do life insurance instead. I just understand the logic

Huh?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is it worth it?

Get both.

Areivim is really tzedakah. It's instead of a parlor meeting and embarrassing mailings with the orphans crying.

Anything you give is maaser.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:08 pm
IDK where to start. wheere/who gives life insurance and who would you recommend?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Huh?

edited my post, had forgotten the not !

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:14 pm
amother Linen wrote:
IDK where to start. wheere/who gives life insurance and who would you recommend?

You call a broker. Ask your friends who they used.

Term life is pretty cheap.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:20 pm
They recently raised the price so it’s more then $28 now check the new guidlines

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:25 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
They recently raised the price so it’s more then $28 now check the new guidlines

Does it go up once you've joined? Or it's a fixed price?

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:33 pm
How does areivim work when you are divorced?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 2:58 pm
Get both. We have both.

Areivim is a tzedakkah and can be maaser money and I think it's a really nice way to help the community. But like others said it doesn't work the same as life insurance. Depending on family size and situation it may also not be enough but it's a nice supplement to our life insurance policies and it's cheap for the amount they give. I think that there are restrictions on what it can be used for - they set up funds for the children unlike a regular insurance policy. We ended up getting a generous life insurance policy for my husband and not as much for me (It was too expensive for both of us to have expensive policies) so it's nice to also have Areivim.

It's also a really quick and easy sign up process unlike insurance that may need blood work and is a longer process.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:08 pm
We have both as well. Life insurance and Areivim.

happy7

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:31 pm
We also have both. The collection went up to about $45 per month. Unfortunately, the collection is nearly every month. We have chosen to do this, and we view it arose as tzedaka. I am not in a position to give to campaigns, so we view this as our part

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 3:31 pm
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics