Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
New Hampshire for shabbos

sky

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:14 pm
Did anyone ever stay in NH for shabbos near a minyan. I know there is a minyan in Loon Mountain but the rooms nearby are expensive. I would like something a bit cheaper.
The Arlington does not sound it is for us. There are cabins within walking distance but I don't know anything about it.
Does anybody have any ideas.
thanks

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 10:20 pm
Bethlehem? Chabad Shliach?

shluchamom

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:46 am
if you check chabad.org the shluchim are in manchester, nh and dartmouth nh so I don't think either are within walking distance to that place

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:56 am
I was there about 14 years ago, in Bethlehem, within walking distance to the Jewish hotel. We brought all our food up from NY. It was a loch but there was no problem with a minyan. At the time you could also buy food for Shabbat at the hotel. I think they have a mikva as well (I was pg at the time...). On Shabbat there were all sorts of Shomer Shabbat Jews up and about, even women in Shabbes robes!

sky

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 10:06 am
Thanks for the Replies. Tamiri, you were probably near the Arlington Hotel in Bethlehem which is a Satmar hotel in the summer. There are cabins within walking distance (those are all reserved the entire summer already) I wonder if there are any other hotels nearby. maybe I will call the hotel and they will know.
there didn't seem to be any hotels near the shluchim (which is a shame because we always have great experiences when it works out)

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 10:42 am
sherman inn is a block away from arlington...

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 10:43 am
Hmmm. That name sounds familiar. Maybe that's where we were. Long rows of bungalows, with a pool in the middle? A real dive? No a/c?

happyone

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:08 pm
I stayed at Sherman Inn, absolute disaster.... old, smelly etc...
Baker Brook was a bit better. There was also a nice bed and breakfast (we left out the breakfast part) which was clean and nice. Very Victorian, not sure of the name - we found it by driving in the area when we couldnt bear the Sherman Inn.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:28 pm
sherman is horrible. the bed and breakfast a block away from there is way better. then there is mr. koenigsburg's place 2 blocks yonder, beautiful and clean...

sky

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:30 pm
Hearthstone Village is the bungalows about a 1/2 mile away it doesn't look like a 4 start hotel Smile but I think it could've worked but it is full for July and August.
I really wanted a place with a kitchen (or at least a fridge) so that shabbos would be easier. I would think that a B&B would not work because of that.

sky

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 3:33 pm
Is the bed and breakfast nearby kosher?
Is koenigsburg any better? do you have any numbers or where I can find them?
TIA

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 11:28 pm
I'm bumping this up because it looks like we will be going to NH next week. We are not chassidish. Would we still be comfortable at the Arlington Hotel for Shabbos? Do you think they'll even have rooms available at this point? Where else could we stay for Shabbos?

Thanks for your help!

str

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 11:35 pm
There are all types of people in the Arlington (not only Chassidish)

ESB

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 3:08 am
well there is Hearthside cottages. They probably have nothing available now. Its only yiddish. non jewish ownership. There is a pool and minyan on shabbos.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 9:18 am
What about spending Shabbos in Manchester? There seems to be a Chabad there.

Also, we're traveling with a baby. I don't suppose there is an eruv anywhere in NH?

sky

Post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 9:35 am
We did not end up going to NH but we did look into it a lot. We thought it would have made more sense to stay near the ski lodge on Loon Mountain there is a hotel and town houses there - I think they almost all have kitchens. We were told that all summer there is a minyan in a deli in the hotel there. There is somebody who advertises in the Hamodia that she has summer homes for rent in NH. I think you will find a lot of minyanim there because it is bein hazmanim and I know a ton of people who go there for vacation. They say it looks like a jewish ton in some areas.

Good luck with your plans. It sounds like a beautiful place to go for vacation.

azoy

Post Tue, Aug 12 2008, 1:17 pm
Is the Arlington Hotel nice?

Anywhere else to stay for one night, (not shabbos), and any interesting/fun activities nearby?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics