Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can't afford gas for dh to get to work to make money
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:30 am
Dh travels over a hour each way to get to work. We have a negative balance in the bank right now, and our credit card already has $1,000 over the limit on it. Dh needs gas to go to work. He says he just won't go, but then we will be even poorer. But how can he get there? Confused

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:31 am
I will give you some money for gas

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Dh travels over a hour each way to get to work. We have a negative balance in the bank right now, and our credit card already has $1,000 over the limit on it. Dh needs gas to go to work. He says he just won't go, but then we will be even poorer. But how can he get there? Confused

I am so sorry OP that is rough! I think you have to compare how much it costs to get to work vs. how much he is getting paid.
Alternatively, maybe he can start looking for a job closer to home?
Does the company allow remote work?
Does anyone live nearby he can carpool with?
Sending hugs 😢

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:46 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I will give you some money for gas
That's very nice of you. I have no way to get the money though.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:48 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
I am so sorry OP that is rough! I think you have to compare how much it costs to get to work vs. how much he is getting paid.
Alternatively, maybe he can start looking for a job closer to home?
Does the company allow remote work?
Does anyone live nearby he can carpool with?
Sending hugs 😢
Of course it's worth it. But the car won't go without gas, even if we tell it it's worth it. And they won't give us gas for free.

He is looking for a closer job. Had an interview and is waiting to hear back from them.

It's impossible to do his job remotely. No one else lives here and works with him.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:07 am
Will his company pay for gas? My husband’s company paid for gas until my husband bought a Tesla. His company paid the amount they would pay for gas per year towards the Tesla
This is something that should be brought up to his managers id think

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:13 am
They did raise his salary a bit because of the traveling. I should ask them to buy us a tesla lol.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:14 am
I am sorry you are in this situation as well. I like to give advice so I am sorry if it is unwarranted. Please continue to look for a closer job even with a pay cut. It seems with expenses that you are losing money with such a far commute. Also he will free up 2 hours a day where he can pick up odd jobs.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:46 am
I will zelle u money for gas

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 10:23 am
Is there anyone you can borrow from?

amother
Stone

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 10:27 am
Is there an option for public transportation? Many people opt for that.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:53 am
My husband drives over an hr, usually hr and 15 min. each way to work.
Lakewood- brooklyn.
And his company gave him a gas credit card, and they take it off as a business expense.
Tolls too..

Maybe your husband can ask them..

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:56 am
Can you ask them to pay for it? Can they give a business credit card?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 1:17 pm
Thank you to those who offered us money. We are trying to set up a zelle account. But even if someone would zelle us enough money for gas, it would just go to pay back what we owe the bank. Dh plans to stop by a rich friend and maybe he will give us money for gas. Otherwise, once zelle is set up, he can ask his father for money.

We are not in NY and there is no reliable public transportation. It would take him hours to get each way, and it would cost about as much as the gas anyway.

If he would tell his boss he can only come to work if they give him money to get gas- he has enough to get him there, but not back- the boss would probably pay for the gas this time.

The $1000 over the credit card limit is mostly the ez pass. Tolls cost us a lot.

It seems like the job dh was hoping to get locally is not working out. I hope he can get another one, but it's harder to find local jobs when you live OOT.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:42 pm
In today's day and age so many jobs are remote.

He should try to find a remote job that he can do from home. No traveling needed

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:02 pm
Trying to do his job remotely would be like a dentist or a cleaning lady trying to work remotely.

advocate

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:09 pm
A PayPal account doesn't need to be attached to a bank account.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 9:09 pm
Maybe he can stay near his work for a couple days to save on gas. If he can get free accommodations.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 10:58 pm
Cashapp, you can get a card and take out money. It doesn't go through a bank. You can link your account to your bank to put money in

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 11:10 pm
OP is correct, if any money comes it through Zelle the bank will take it until her balance is paid up.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics