Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Yeshivish community in Baltimore?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 2:34 pm
looking to move to a right wing yeshivish community that is close knit. does anyone know if this exists in baltimore with young couples/young kids?

cfriedman2

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:05 pm
Yeshiva lane

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:10 pm
cfriedman2 wrote:
Yeshiva lane

You have to be part of the yeshiva to live there, and there's a waiting list.

OP, Baltimore has VERY yeshivish people! Everywhere. We are not like other cities where different types live in specific areas (other than yeshiva lane). The Seven Mile area has a lot of yeshivish people, pickwick, cross country, and fallstaff apartments do too, and everywhere other than like, Beazer as well.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 3:41 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

OP, Baltimore has VERY yeshivish people! Everywhere. We are not like other cities where different types live in specific areas (other than yeshiva lane). The Seven Mile area has a lot of yeshivish people, pickwick, cross country, and fallstaff apartments do too, and everywhere other than like, Beazer as well.

Yes, Yeshiva Lane would not be an option for OP.

But OP, please only move here if you're okay moving to a mixed neighborhood. We're yeshivish, but part of the beauty of living in Baltimore is that we can be friendly with all of our neighbors, even those who are different from us. I grew up in Baltimore on the more modern side, and it was being exposed to my yeshivish friends and neighbors that helped guide me to where I am today (along with my wonderful family, of course).

You'll also need to be okay with your children going to school with girls from different types of families, btw. At least your girls. THere aren't any "completely yeshivish" schools in Baltimore. The kodesh staff may be yeshivish, but the girls are a mix. And I, for one, love that.

My kids learn that frum Jews come in all shapes and colors. They learn not to judge other people, and to see the good parts of people who aren't hashkafically in the same place as us. They learn why we do what we do, and understand why others don't. We have lots of conversations about this, and I think it's a very healthy way to grow up.

If you want to ask about a shul that you might fit into, that might be a more appropriate question for Baltimore. Maybe Rabbi Berger's shul (Kol Torah), maybe Agudah of Park Heights. There are others too, depending on on whether you're looking for smaller or bigger, a cheaper or more expensive neighborhood, things like that. And then you can find a house within walking distance to that shul.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 4:08 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

Beazer has a nice share of Yeshivish people.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 4:16 pm
There is no yeshivish area in Baltimore, but tons of yeshivish people. They live all over the city/county.

Baltimore is a unique community where yeshivish, just plain frum, modern, chabad, chasidish, and sefardi all live amongst each other. All get along, send to the same schools, etc.

For example Menlo Drive has many yeshivish (we tease that 1/2 the school rabbaim in town either lived or live on Menlo), chabad and modern all on the same block. Drive down any warm day and all the kids are playing outside together.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:48 pm
thank you everyone for your repsonses! I would love more info, if you have and I have a few questions...

what is yeshiva lane? why is it not an option? where are those other shuls that were mentioned? Rabbi Berger's shul (Kol Torah), Agudah of Park Heights, beazer, menlo? what are these like?

from what I understand from here, there are exclusively rightwing yeshivish shuls but not schools for girls? are there shuls that have chevras (follow a rebbe, close relationship with rebbetzin)? I'm happy to be among different types of yiddin and I think thats beautiful(!) but also want a community with likeminded people... some kind of group where all are tznius, separate kiddushes, have filters, no tv, etc.

sorry if this comes off as judgmental... just trying to find what's right for my family and don't know how to find this info out without coming off this way TMI

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
thank you everyone for your repsonses! I would love more info, if you have and I have a few questions...

what is yeshiva lane? why is it not an option? where are those other shuls that were mentioned? Rabbi Berger's shul (Kol Torah), Agudah of Park Heights, beazer, menlo? what are these like?

from what I understand from here, there are exclusively rightwing yeshivish shuls but not schools for girls? are there shuls that have chevras (follow a rebbe, close relationship with rebbetzin)? I'm happy to be among different types of yiddin and I think thats beautiful(!) but also want a community with likeminded people... some kind of group where all are tznius, separate kiddushes, have filters, no tv, etc.

sorry if this comes off as judgmental... just trying to find what's right for my family and don't know how to find this info out without coming off this way TMI

Bnos Yisrael is I guess more to the right than beis yaakov, my daughter graduated bnos last year. We’re beyond thrilled with them. BY parents and girls are thrilled there too. You can’t lose.

But if you’re going to be happy in Baltimore, please realize nothing here is exclusive. That’s not how we roll here. The yeshivahs here also are not exclusive (even if they claim to be, which they don’t).

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

what is yeshiva lane? why is it not an option?

It’s where the Ner Yisroel families live. You have to be in Ner to live there. And like I said before, the waiting list is years long.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:28 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
Bnos Yisrael is I guess more to the right than beis yaakov, my daughter graduated bnos last year. We’re beyond thrilled with them. BY parents and girls are thrilled there too. You can’t lose.

But if you’re going to be happy in Baltimore, please realize nothing here is exclusive. That’s not how we roll here. The yeshivahs here also are not exclusive (even if they claim to be, which they don’t).

I don’t think Bnos is more to the right than BY. Bnos is a much smaller school so BY has more girls who aren’t yeshivish, and more girls who are. I think hashkafically the schools are very similar.
OP, what area do you want to live in? Baltimore has many shuls. And you can move to the area of Ner and daven in the Yeshiva. (Is Ner yeshivish? Is Rabbi Shlanger’s more yeshivish? Or Kesser Torah?)
First say your definition of yeshivish and then we can figure out where’s a good place for you to move to.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 6:37 pm
I disagree that Bnos is more to the right than BY.
I think each school has the same type of mix in student body.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:47 pm
Scotts Hill is a community of mainly TA rabbeim but some others as well that might be more homogeneous. However, you may find that if you live there, you'll end up sending to TA due to convenience and social life. It's a great school but might not be your first pick otherwise.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

Baltimore is not for you then

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:49 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:

I have a daughter in bnos and one in by and emphatically disagree with this

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 7:49 pm
I don't think living near Ner Yisroel makes any sense. Kids on YL won't easily be available to play with your kids not on the street, housing is expensive, you'll feel like an outsider and there's no rav like you'd have in a real shul.

And getting on Yeshiva Lane is next to impossible if you have no shaychus with the Yeshiva.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
but also want a community with likeminded people... some kind of group where all are tznius, separate kiddushes, have filters, no tv, etc.

It doesn't come across as judgemental. But you won't find this in Baltimore.

I mean, you can find a shul like this. But not a "community." There will be people on your block, kids in your kids' schools, etc. who will not do these things.

You need to decide if you're okay with that.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:12 pm
OP, Baltimore just doesn't work that way, B"H!

Overall, the area near the Agudah of Park Heights has a higher proportion of RW Yeshivish families, but really all the frum neighborhoods in Baltimore have a mix. Also, the Baltimore brand of Yeshivish may be different than what you are accustomed to — for the most part it's a chilled, OOT vibe.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

The modern shuls have mixed kiddushes. All the shuls we go to have separate with mechitza.
The Rebbetzins have a relationship with those who want to have a relationship. If you want to be friends they’ll be friends.
I don’t know anyone who has a tv. Some people have movies in the car but I don’t know anyone with a tv.
Sounds to me you’re looking for chassidish lite. That’s fine and good but it isn’t Baltimore…
The schools for girls are all frum. In BY majority of girls wear knee socks before the rule starts.
Where are you coming from?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:40 pm
Look into Rabbi Berger's shul or Rabbi Gross. To daven at Rabbi Berger you would live in Pickwick, Meadowood, or Cheswolde. To daven at Rabbi Gross you would live in Pickwick, Cheswolde, Ranchleigh, or Beazer.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Look into Rabbi Berger's shul or Rabbi Gross. To daven at Rabbi Berger you would live in Pickwick, Meadowood, or Cheswolde. To daven at Rabbi Gross you would live in Pickwick, Cheswolde, Ranchleigh, or Beazer.

In these neighborhoods as well your neighbors can be modern. In addition, there are mothers who send to Bais Yaakov who don't cover there hair etc. My daughter has three girls in her class from yeshiva lane, few with screens, yeshivish, modern. A MIX. But in general from a Baltimore native I would say upper park heights is the "yeshivish" side of the town. Less of a mix.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating