Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
Uk imas
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 11:51 am
What is your wage?
I began working in an office and I would like to know what is considered a "good" wage.
£15 an hour? £18?

polished

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:18 pm
Following

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:23 pm
I recently started for £25 per hour, I think that’s considered pretty high.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:58 pm
Where are you both based? Amother lilac £25 does sound high but if you're in London, the wages are generally slightly higher than other places.
Also what sort of office is it? A school office will likely pay less than working for other types of professions.
I think different places vary and to me it's also about what progression there is. Like if you start at £18, are you stuck there for the next 10 years, or will they give you a payrise?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I recently started for £25 per hour, I think that’s considered pretty high.

Where do you work?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:00 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Where are you both based? Amother lilac £25 does sound high but if you're in London, the wages are generally slightly higher than other places.
Also what sort of office is it? A school office will likely pay less than working for other types of professions.
I think different places vary and to me it's also about what progression there is. Like if you start at £18, are you stuck there for the next 10 years, or will they give you a payrise?

school

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:18 pm
Wow you must be from London.

I get a lot less then that.

Teacher in Mcr.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:24 pm
£12 an hour in a school office Manchester

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where do you work?

I work for a Jewish non profit in London, finance department but I’m unqualified just have 2 years experience.
Tbh when I started working in an office 4 years ago I was getting just over £10, that was at a school office.
I then had a 2 year break from working and just started again, I was pretty lucky in finding this job, basically fell into it, the rate is really £20 and then £5 towards childcare. I think £12-£18 is more typical starting rate for a regular office job. I know that at this organisation the secretary who is straight out of sem gets about £12.
I’ve just learned to be assertive and ask for slightly higher than I would expect to get paid, the employer might agree or they will suggest a compromise, whereas if you ask for a lower rate, the employer will never offer more than that and will happily pay you less than your worth.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:54 pm
What is a good teacher's wage?

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 1:56 pm
I recently got pay rise £35 but it's not standard office and I'm highly qualified. Not giving any more details

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 2:31 pm
Wow and this is why I don’t work out of the house Sad

I am self employed so I charge £35/hour

caza

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:22 pm
DH employs some women in his office they generally start at £12-£15 per hour. He gives them a rise and pays towards childcare.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:40 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Wow and this is why I don’t work out of the house Sad

I am self employed so I charge £35/hour

Care to elaborate? What field?

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 4:46 pm
Anyone can advise me what to ask for in Manchester?.I work in one of the very frum schools.
Not a government school.

Nursery teacher with 10 years experience.
Apparently they count as half of that, because Iv never worked full time, only half day.. ??
I Have NVQ .
Im Over 30.

Im getting at least 12 ph but I feel I deserve at least 15?
Is that unreasonable for such a place?
I personally feel it is a reasonable wage, but I dont know if that is what is given out and If Im beingcompletely off the range to even ask.
Its also my first year working in this school, have previously bwen 5 years somewhere else , and before that another 2 years elsewhere.

I would love to know what others are getting, but I dont feel I can ask.

Thanks.

Ruchi

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 9:08 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Anyone can advise me what to ask for in Manchester?.I work in one of the very frum schools.
Not a government school.

Apparently they count as half of that, because Iv never worked full time, only half day.. ??
I Have NVQ .
Im Over 30.

I personally feel it is a reasonable wage, but I dont know if that is what is given out and If Im beingcompletely off the range to even ask.
Its also my first year working in this school, have previously bwen 5 years somewhere else , and before that another 2 years elsewhere.

Thanks.

My niece works as a secretary at s schol. She's in her 6th year and gets paid £9 an hour.. exploitation to the highest level.
Newbie cleaners who don't speak English are paid nore than that and are working off the books, whereas my niece is working legally.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 9:18 pm
Wow. I got £8 an hour at my first job when I left seminary 20 years ago. It’s shocking that people are getting not much more 20 years on. I live in NY now, I pay my cleaning help way more then that an hour..

Ruchi

Post Thu, Feb 16 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
Wow. I got £8 an hour at my first job when I left seminary 20 years ago. It’s shocking that people are getting not much more 20 years on. I live in NY now, I pay my cleaning help way more then that an hour..

This is what's happening at schools. Unfortunately. At offices you get paid way better than that.
There are fantastic benefits to working at a school.
You get winter and summer holiday's off and paid for.
You don't need to work Erev Yom Yov, Chol Hamoed, Isru Chag and still get paid Also it's s very kosher and frum work environment.
So the schools take advantage of this, knowing that its a great job that is sought-after. This exploitation is so wrong on so many levels.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 2:33 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Not a government school.

I Have NVQ .
Im Over 30.

Thanks.

Most nurseries are paying around that amount £10-£12. Early years doesn't pay that well. Are you a main teacher? But most places offer childcare at very very low prices, so that does really factor in. If your only paying £1 an hour for your childcare, that's a massive saving.
Teachers get paid a lot more, but then many of them are doing a lot of prep at home, which is technically unpaid.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Feb 17 2023, 4:17 am
Ruchi wrote:
This is what's happening at schools. Unfortunately. At offices you get paid way better than that.
There are fantastic benefits to working at a school.
You get winter and summer holiday's off and paid for.
You don't need to work Erev Yom Yov, Chol Hamoed, Isru Chag and still get paid Also it's s very kosher and frum work environment.
So the schools take advantage of this, knowing that its a great job that is sought-after. This exploitation is so wrong on so many levels.

I was working at a school office for £10 / hour a few years ago and the office staff had to work on an annual leave basis, we still had to come in when school was closed for holidays, erev yom tov…
Btw the school staff don’t get paid for holidays when school is closed, when I worked at the school, teachers were paid an annual salary that only accounted for the days that they actually worked plus 28 days of annual leave, but were paid salary was divided into 12 and they would get an equal amount every month, but they weren’t actually getting paid for school holidays.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries