Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sheva brochos ideas please!!

MommyEsty

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 7:18 am
I need some ideas for sheva brochos..
small budget
not alot of people..maybe 30 ish
and bbq is sort of out as they are having one two days before.

so please brainstorm
thanks!

lst

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:06 am
make a cute simple menu.
I was a sheva brachot that was hawaiian themed:

fruit soup
pineapple or apricot chicken (throw some duck sauce over all of it and bake)
rice with craisins side dish
carrots and pineapple side dish
a big salad with mandarin oranges, mango and strawberries
jello for dessert (they made little heart jellos from ice cube molds, and put them on top of little individual jello cups)

newatit

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:50 am
I've heard of an italian theme. it was garlic bread, meatballs, spaghetti, salad but also plain noodles with a toppings bar like pesto, tomato sauce, etc.

imamothertoo

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 11:27 am
Mazel tov. do you want to do something formal like a full meal or something more informal like buffet with sternos of food, example chinese, in the middle

MommyEsty

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 11:49 am
thanks ya'll
it definitly does not need to be formal.
the less formal the better I think

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 12:22 pm
"Picnic"style? Deli/sub sandwiches, grilled chicken breast on fresh garden salad, potato salad, pasta salad, cole slaw, fruit salad.

Chinese? Start with fried won-tons and 2 or 3 dipping sauces. Or hot and sour soup (I have an easy recipe). Main dish is stir fried chicken or beef with veggies, lo mein, fried rice and egg rolls. Dessert can be fried bananas and fried pineapple or sorbet.

Mexican? Start with refried beans, salsa and tortilla chips. Main dish can be beef enchiladas, chicken burritos and beef tacos. Side dishes are rice, beans and a fresh garden salad. Dessert is sopapadillas.

sho770

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 5:01 am
Well, I read somewhere that since the chosson and kallah are like king and queen, it´s not appropriate to serve sandwiches, because you can only eat them in a not very subtle or dignified way.

But you could make small bread rolls for all and:
- grated carrot salad (with orange juice or pineapple pieces and juice) - easy and cheap
- grated coleslaw salad
- potato salad
- pasta salad (preferably not spaghetti, as the long threads aren´t easy to eat properly without spilling the sauce) : with tomatoe sauce and green olives, maybe a little tuna too, it´s not bad.

and to make it look nice and special, some plates of:
- small mezonos crackers or rice crackers topped with egg slices/ tuna spread / white spread cheese / or salami if you do it fleishig
- each one topped with a little piece of cucumber or raddish to make it look colorful and pretty
- and fruit-salad (or simply pineapple chunks) and cake-slices for dessert.

There are nice plastic dishes now, and even plastic looking like metal "silverware", ask in any jewish shop. With a nice tablecloth (can be throw-away - it exists in soft material) and colorful paper tissues, you´re done!

Pizza

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 5:23 am
Someone posted about 'candy chicken' which I made for shabbos, and everyone said it was so fancy, we could serve it for sheva brochos. It wasnt hard at all - phyllo dough and chicken cutlets.

Also, challa napkin rings are terrific, really fer-pitz the table.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Jul 04 2008, 5:48 am
We used plain white paper tablecloths and scattered crayons down the center. The papergoods were all different bright, primary colors - bright red large plates, navy blue salad plates, bright orange bowls, hunter green cups, etc.

It was very festive and folks loved coloring on the tablecloth.

supermom

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 1:00 pm
Pizza wrote:
Also, challa napkin rings are terrific, really fer-pitz the table.

Can you explain how to make these? They sound cool.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 1:04 pm
I never tried to do them but I believe you use challah dough.
a long strip the bend it in half and twist it ( or make a braid) take a large peice of heavy duty silver paper and scrunch it up to a rod ( pole) drape your braid/twist around the rod like braclets ( flour the silver paper well so it should come off...)

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 2:23 pm
you can try a memories of summer theme -
fruit soup, or fresh fruit for appertizer
deli rolled around a veggie (cucmbers, asparagus) on tooth pics
little topped crackers
lots of fresh salads
crepes for dessert, or something summery like ambrosia

and to drink - lemonade, iced tea - a summery alc. drink if you want

Never did the claah ring,s but saw them once and it was so nice!

muss

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 8:24 pm
I've made challah napkin rings before. They look very nice and everyone has a challah for the meal. You braid a challah how you usually do it. Get a papertowel roll and cut it in half - size of a toilet paper roll. Cover it in foil and wrap the brade around it and bake. After it's baked the roll comes out easily and you put a napkin through it.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 10:30 pm
I went to a 7B that was a pyjama party! Seriously, since the wedding and all of the following 7Bs were quite formal, the host wanted to do something laid back so everyone was supposed to come in pjs (well wth a bathrobe over that) and in nightcaps or snoods or tichels or whatever. She served Sushi just to make it formal-ish, but after that the men went off to study and the women had a karaoke-ice cream evening. Very original, laid back, and lots of fun!

BennysMommy

Post Tue, Sep 02 2008, 10:51 pm
lst wrote:
make a cute simple menu.
I was a sheva brachot that was hawaiian themed:

fruit soup
pineapple or apricot chicken (throw some duck sauce over all of it and bake)
rice with craisins side dish
carrots and pineapple side dish
a big salad with mandarin oranges, mango and strawberries
jello for dessert (they made little heart jellos from ice cube molds, and put them on top of little individual jello cups)

That sounds cute but for someone like my DH who isn't crazy about sweet dishes, there's not one thing for them to eat!

supermom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2008, 2:24 am
muss wrote:
I've made challah napkin rings before. They look very nice and everyone has a challah for the meal. You braid a challah how you usually do it. Get a papertowel roll and cut it in half - size of a toilet paper roll. Cover it in foil and wrap the brade around it and bake. After it's baked the roll comes out easily and you put a napkin through it.

Wow!! I am going to try it for shabbos to see how it comes out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics