Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
How do you cover Israeli seminary
1  2  Next

How do you cover seminary
I have the money BH and I pay the full price  
 20%  [ 9 ]
The seminary gave a significantly reduction and I paid what they asked  
 11%  [ 5 ]
I went into debt (credit card, loan)  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Family paid for seminary  
 6%  [ 3 ]
My daughter covered it herself  
 0%  [ 0 ]
We scrounged for grants and scholarships  
 31%  [ 14 ]
Other (please elaborate)  
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 44

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:24 pm
I'm curious. I have daughters coming up and there's no way we can afford seminary. Yet all her friends who are supposedly much "lower income" and on all these programs seem to have no problem sending multiple girls.

If you know of any resources or grants, please post links and information.

Im not bitter of anyone who can afford it. Kol hakovod.

I just see so many people who can't afford it and send anyways so I'd like to know if I'm missing something.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:27 pm
You do it through Touro or TTI, fill out FAFSA and get government grants. Girls can save a few summers worth of working and also work during the year (on Sundays, vacations, etc). Ask for a scholarship (not much). MASA used to give around $3K, I believe, not sure about now.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:30 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
You do it through Touro or TTI, fill out FAFSA and get government grants. Girls can save a few summers worth of working and also work during the year (on Sundays, vacations, etc). Ask for a scholarship (not much). MASA used to give around $3K, I believe, not sure about now.

Can I have numbers for NJ.

Because 20 years ago, when I was doing grants, FAFSA covered 3-5k. That still leaves more than 20k.

happy7

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:36 pm
Be very clear with yourself. After grants and scholarships, you will still need $12/15 K MINIMUM. If you don’t think you will manage it, be really clear with yourself and your daughters from a VERY young age (like 8th grade).
This way there won’t be an expectation that you cannot fill.
Also, be aware that rules for study abroad (through TTI and other places) require a lot of work for the summer BEFORE seminary and the year AFTER seminary.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:37 pm
I voted other

I didn't send my daughters even though everyone else in their grades went
It's 100% financially irresponsible for lower income families to spend that on a year of what is basically camp.

Fafsa barely would cover 1/4 of it, though between Fafsa and scholarships they both were able to go to college with us paying under 3k a year. My oldest graduated and is getting married soon (yes, even without goint to seminary LOL )

Simple1

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:38 pm
I sent to newer less popular seminaries and got a significant discount.

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 6:44 pm
I have been paying MO HS tuition and will pay for college at an in person/on campus university. She is getting college credits and will be able to do college in 3 not 4 years. It is my most economical year.

Thinking about wedding costs make me want to vomit.
I can wrap my head around tuition, but not around spending 40 or 50K for one evening. (Or the cost of a new shaital or dresses or a MUA)

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 7:08 pm
After tap and pel, fasfa and school scholarship we went through touro only had to pay around $12,000 now my daughter only has 6 months left to college and she is done so it's a win win. I looked at it like paying for a year of college . ..

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 7:09 pm
The whole thing is a scam

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Freesia wrote:
I have been paying MO HS tuition and will pay for college at an in person/on campus university. She is getting college credits and will be able to do college in 3 not 4 years. It is my most economical year.

Thinking about wedding costs make me want to vomit.
I can wrap my head around tuition, but not around spending 40 or 50K for one evening. (Or the cost of a new shaital or dresses or a MUA)

My daughters went/go to in person college as well. My oldest finished in under 3 years without seminary (she attended during summers as well)

Wedding is going to be very simple, It is costing us 17k not 40-50k
I would NEVER even think of spending that much on one night!

Her vort/sheva brochos dresses all cost under $100 each
She will be doing her own makeup. Hair we are paying for but going to the person not paying $$$$ for someone to come to the hall.

Sheitels are a big expense, but again we aren't in the bracket to be spending the big bucks on anything, including Sheitels

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
After tap and pel, fasfa and school scholarship we went through touro only had to pay around $12,000 now my daughter only has 6 months left to college and she is done so it's a win win. I looked at it like paying for a year of college . ..

How does she only have 6 months left to college after seminary? What degree is she getting?

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:48 pm

Same here but did it with TTI. Actually 6 month extremely part time.(she got a lot of credit from seminary, summer before and after seminary gets you an associate degree)
Note that she made her own day camp for 3 years before seminary and we only paid seminary and flight. She used her own money for extras.

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 8:51 pm
They got jobs. No need to spend 25k. If 15 years of school couldn't educate then, a other year not helping. A year of working and responsibility will accomplish alot more and not put you into debt.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:56 am
Bump.
Especially with specific grants, scholarships, seminaries that are more or less prone to give deductions, etc.

I know my daughter can work. I'm not sure I and she want to do that, as opposed to saving for the future, a down payment, etc.

I know she doesn't have to go.

We're not sending her if the money isn't there. I'm trying to find out all the information before the teachers start talking.

How much is full tuition in the Lakewood or Brooklyn seminaries? Do they offer scholarships for low-middle class families? Are their grants or federal funding for those?

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:02 am
amother DarkRed wrote:
Same here but did it with TTI. Actually 6 month extremely part time.(she got a lot of credit from seminary, summer before and after seminary gets you an associate degree)
Note that she made her own day camp for 3 years before seminary and we only paid seminary and flight. She used her own money for extras.

With seminary, summer before and after she got an associate's? Then in 6 more months - Bachelor's?

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:57 pm
Following

CPenzias

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:59 pm
I only have 2 kids. My husband is very financially anxious which is why we "only" have 2. It's not fair that this is our thinking but it's reality

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:13 pm
CPenzias wrote:
I only have 2 kids. My husband is very financially anxious which is why we "only" have 2. It's not fair that this is our thinking but it's reality

I have this challenge and am actively working on my emunah

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:22 pm

What are tap and pell? By FAFSA are you referring to student loans? Are tap and pell income dependent? If we make 300k (6 kids) will my daughter be eligible for tap and pell?

CPenzias

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:27 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
I have this challenge and am actively working on my emunah

I have Emunah bh
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info