Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
How do you cover Israeli seminary
Previous  1  2

How do you cover seminary
I have the money BH and I pay the full price  
 20%  [ 9 ]
The seminary gave a significantly reduction and I paid what they asked  
 11%  [ 5 ]
I went into debt (credit card, loan)  
 6%  [ 3 ]
Family paid for seminary  
 6%  [ 3 ]
My daughter covered it herself  
 0%  [ 0 ]
We scrounged for grants and scholarships  
 31%  [ 14 ]
Other (please elaborate)  
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 44

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:35 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
You do it through Touro or TTI, fill out FAFSA and get government grants. Girls can save a few summers worth of working and also work during the year (on Sundays, vacations, etc). Ask for a scholarship (not much). MASA used to give around $3K, I believe, not sure about now.

Don't you have to go to Touro or TTI after?

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:01 pm
With great difficulty.
We declare every dot of income down to a stick of bubblegum and we realized that you have to be either very poor or very rich those of us in the middle are far-hakt. We got next to nothing from MASA, pell or Tap. We took a gemach loan and paid it off slowly (bh we finished just before she became a kalla)

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Don't you have to go to Touro or TTI after?

Yes, but most girls get a degree nowadays, I think.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:32 pm
We sent to a newer seminary and got a discount but even that was beyond what we could afford. That's why I said absolutely not to seminary in Israel but was told by her school that I could get help with FAFSA, etc. Meanwhile, we didn't qualify for a single thing, could be because it's a newer seminary and not really college affiliated? Looking back, I'd never have sent her if I knew we wouldn't qualify for a single scholarship and now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my other DD who feels I sent older DD so of course I'll send her too. A previous poster said it perfectly, it's basically extended sleepaway camp. It's a wonderful experience but not worth the cost.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 9:46 am
amother Catmint wrote:
Yes, but most girls get a degree nowadays, I think.

Yes, but do they have to commit to getting the degree either through Touro or TTI?

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 9:55 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
With great difficulty.
We declare every dot of income down to a stick of bubblegum and we realized that you have to be either very poor or very rich those of us in the middle are far-hakt. We got next to nothing from MASA, pell or Tap. We took a gemach loan and paid it off slowly (bh we finished just before she became a kalla)

Masa gives certain countries set amounts which aren't income based, South America, South Africa like over 8000 so it helps a lot.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:14 am
The problem is, the middle class usually arent eligible for the grants! And middle class like me scrounge to pay tuition, shop for the cheapest sales and best deals, dont buy brand name clothes, dont lease the latest model car, go on very economical family vacations and chol hamoed trips, teach our children from a young age about being fiscally responsible.....and after all that im scratching my head why I all of a sudden should make myself crazy to pay for a year of seminary in Israel.

Very very strongly leaning to just not sending. I'd rather use my limited money for other things

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:17 am
Can anyone quote real prices for American seminaries and what grants are available for them.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:19 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes, but do they have to commit to getting the degree either through Touro or TTI?

Yes, but only for the undergraduate. For their graduate degree they are free to choose.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:21 am
amother Denim wrote:
Yes, but only for the undergraduate. For their graduate degree they are free to choose.

It's important for people to know.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:21 am
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone quote real prices for American seminaries and what grants are available for them.

I would add, and at what income cap are you inelligible for grants?

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:28 am
PinkFridge wrote:
It's important for people to know.

Actually, I just read on another thread someone said she was able to continue with a different school after going through Touro. Obviously they don't want you to do it so they'll tell you up front it's not possible.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 5:33 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I would add, and at what income cap are you inelligible for grants?

There are grants like MASA and oot Federations that don't use the same algorithms as Pell, etc. But these grants are only for EY.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info