Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary registration first come first serve
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:51 pm
Does it make sense that after dd was accepted the slots are filling up and you need to pay right away before the deadline because first time first serve?

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 6:59 pm
No.
If they send acceptance letter and you respond by telling them you are taking the slot, you should have until the deadline to send in the money.
(Why should your daughter be penalized because it takes you a couple of days to find the money? Not fair!)

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:03 pm
Apparently in the (recent) past this was the case. This year it is different- to get away from this problem, you have a shorter time to answer but as long as you're in it, you're ok. But confirm with your principal.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:03 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
No.
If they send acceptance letter and you respond by telling them you are taking the slot, you should have until the deadline to send in the money.
(Why should your daughter be penalized because it takes you a couple of days to find the money? Not fair!)

There was no option to respond that I’m taking the spot. Don’t delay your registration your acceptance is while there are slots

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:39 pm
My daughters school sent out a letter stating if you get accepted please respond right away because spots fill up fast. I think most seminaries in order to take the slot you need to send in the money. I don’t think you can say you are coming without giving in the money.

If you want to go there answer right away there are still people trying to push in to seminaries that might take your spot.

rae

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:45 pm
I think a non refundable deposit has to be sent along with your response. Otherwise, they’re not obligated to keep your spot open. At this point the seminaries want a commitment.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 7:53 pm
rae wrote:
I think a non refundable deposit has to be sent along with your response. Otherwise, they’re not obligated to keep your spot open. At this point the seminaries want a commitment.
This. It’s not first come first serve but if you don’t confirm your slot by sending in your deposit then they will give the slot to someone else.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
This. It’s not first come first serve but if you don’t confirm your slot by sending in your deposit then they will give the slot to someone else.

Because if you don’t send in the money every person who is trying to get into another seminary will say yes my daughter is coming and then when she gets into a different seminary you will say sorry she isn’t coming.

Without a deposit then your slot is not confirmed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:00 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Because if you don’t send in the money every person who is trying to get into another seminary will say yes my daughter is coming and then when she gets into a different seminary you will say sorry she isn’t coming.

Without a deposit then your slot is not confirmed.

They gave about a week for a deadline for the registration but they also said while slots are available

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:10 pm
Apparently, some (all?) Seminaries overbook. And if everyone who gets in takes a spot, the later ones may not get a spot. So says my friend whose kid got into BJJ but she was told not to wait and send money asap.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:12 pm
Anyone ever send a check and was told sorry you took too long?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:53 pm
I think it’s unheard of in any school in the world. I think schools overbook but they never reject anyone who got accepted and they don’t say while slots are available. They just rely on statistics that some will not go through with the registration and they take everyone that got accepted

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 9:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does it make sense that after dd the as accepted the slots are filling up and you need to pay right away before the deadline because first time first serve?

My daughter was accepted to a seminary that sent an acceptance letter which seemed to say this. I was also wondering. She isn't going there though.

pgk

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 12:40 am
Only seminary that works this way is masores rochel as far as I know

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 12:42 am
Wow, I didn't even think of this. Our letter also says the completed forms must be received by February 28, and then it says please understand that space is limited and on the first come, first serve basis.
Huh? So if I overnight it on Monday to get there on Tuesday, it might be too late?? There's no way I can mail it tomorrow

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 1:13 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Wow, I didn't even think of this. Our letter also says the completed forms must be received by February 28, and then it says please understand that space is limited and on the first come, first serve basis.
Huh? So if I overnight it on Monday to get there on Tuesday, it might be too late?? There's no way I can mail it tomorrow

We did a check payment on paper. Or you can zelle or give in a credit card. But there were stories of girls who gave in the answer the day of and all slots were full. It’s not something to play around with if you know
You want to go let them know and if you don’t want to go let someone else get your slot.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 1:36 am
It’s so much pressure. They want the best girls but this is too much hishtadlus and it is on the backs of terrified parents and girls.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 5:49 am
I don’t get what’s too much. We got an acceptance and an hour later sent all the forms and payment back via email. Why in 2023 is that so hard? Today everything can be done electronically.

amother
Lightblue

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 8:14 am
amother Coffee wrote:
Apparently, some (all?) Seminaries overbook. And if everyone who gets in takes a spot, the later ones may not get a spot. So says my friend whose kid got into BJJ but she was told not to wait and send money asap.

My daughter was in BJJ last year. Her acceptance letter just said that she was admitted and that we needed to send a deposit by a certain date (about a week later) or her slot would be given to someone on their waiting list. They also asked that if she was not going there, that she let them know, so they could give her slot to someone else. There was nothing about “first-come-first served,” and we actually dropped off our deposit on the last day.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 8:27 am
amother Midnight wrote:
I don’t get what’s too much. We got an acceptance and an hour later sent all the forms and payment back via email. Why in 2023 is that so hard? Today everything can be done electronically.

Some people work, have simchas, have broken printers, papers need to be notarized, not to mention if someone has to choose between two places, etc.
Just that wording of "first come, first served" on the acceptance letter is strange. You are accepted, there's a deadline, shouldn't that acceptance stand as long as you submitted everything by the deadline? Why does even this have to turn into pressure?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info