Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
What helped your teen son's acne?
Previous  1  2

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 12:35 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Based on my own personal experience I truly didn’t find seeing a dermatologist helpful. I went many times.
My DH had to go a few times to take care of cyst like acne.
Otherwise the doctors were against treating with accutane (maybe things have changed over the years)
Honestly , I think the low self esteem comes from parents who make a huge deal about it , rushing to doctors like there is something “wrong” with their child. There is nothing wrong with them. There is nothing wrong with having acne. I think the attitude towards the acne is what may cause a child to feel like something is “wrong” with them and that causes low self esteem. This is my opinion . Take it or leave it.
If my child requests that we see a derm. I will definitely take him but so far all they’ve asked for were different types of cleansers . And eventually their acne cleared up as they entered their 20s.

If they didn’t end up with scars then you’re right. But sometimes girls & boys are left with really bad scars.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 2:42 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I don’t think I’m neglectful. But you know what , I’ll take my DS to a dermatologist and will see what he says .
The only time I’ve ever seen scarring is when people or derms popped pimples .
But I’m open to hearing other peoples opinions and will see if there is any change for the better.

I’m impressed by how you can pivot so fast. I hope your son’s acne clears up fast.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 2:43 pm
Highstrung wrote:
The only reason why I say to leave it is because I followed your exact protocol listed (aside for trying Accutane which my doc advised against at the time)
My skin did not do well with Clyndamycin. I have photos of my face with raw patches of skin and peeling all over . The medication and creams literally ate away at my face. It was the most painful thing and made me look 100 times worse . After that I just gave up on trying anymore topical things because it was doing more harm than good. This is why I have a hard time with going this route with my own kids and I’ve seen two of my kids outgrow it fairly quickly . All the dermatologist appointments and medications and creams were a failure for me. (My husband had a similar experience too) Now I’m not saying it doesn’t work for others . But it’s not a definite answer for all skin types. Just wanted you to be aware of that.
The only thing I’ve heard people be happy with is Accutane and it has been controversial because of possible side effects etc.
It’s not like I just don’t care that my kid has acne and ignore him if he asks me to get him help for it.

I’m sorry for your experience. That’s sounds very tough.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 1:41 pm
Low glycemic diet can really help as will a low dose of antiobiotics
Rinse helps.
I'm on of those who used to wash my face with hot water and squeeze pus pimples and have no scars and B"H have gorgeous skin, probably helps that I don't wear makeup and don't sit in the sun both which can be damaging especially the sun.
With my kids I use a dermatologist but I want to avoid Accutane.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 1:48 am
Accutane is your answer. He will go from this terrible look to beautiful skin in a few months. So sad for teens to suffer when this amazing option is available. It will make his skin and hair very dry- invest in Chapstick and moisturizer. It will make him photosensitive- invest in sunscreen. Doctor will probably monitor via monthly or bi-monthly routine blood work. Go for it!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries