Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Suggestions for activities for kids in NYC b4 camp

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 10:31 pm
for those who stay in the city for the summer, any suggestions for (preferably inexpensive) activities for the upcoming week bt. school and camp?

yo'ma

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 10:56 pm
Zoo, aquarium, park, art's and craft projects.
What are the ages?

Tehilla

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 10:59 pm
I have a just under 4 year old and little over 2 year old at home. the 2 year old is always with me though. both girls too, if that makes a difference.

I bought extra stickers and arts projects, including blank notepads which they love to fill up. I purchased a new game, really easy and inexpensive. planning park trips, and get together with a few friends with kids (not all the friends at the same time!).

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 11:02 pm
the under ten crowd LOL

we have always loved the aquarium and last time they had a day off we went to botanical gardens which was so nice. I am taking a few days off and I was hpoing to wow them with something new and innovative... esp 9yo dd who seems to be getting pickier and pickier Rolling Eyes

Tehilla

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 11:05 pm
are they into anything like pictures? what if you bought a cheap disposable camera for your 9 year old, and went on a mission searching things out/taking pictures. then helped her make a photobook of them...

does that sound totally dorky? LOL it interests me

Dandelion1

Post Sat, Jun 21 2008, 11:10 pm
that does not sound dorky at all! she would absolutely love that idea-- and I could choose something sort of scenic (or boring as she would say LOL ) but I think the amateur photographer angle would really appeal to her. thank you tehilla! you know, I have always wanted to walk across the Brooklyn bridge. that might be a nice idea-- we could bring a stroller, scooters, camera....

bigmomma

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 12:33 am
I read in the Jewish Press that after 3 P.M on Fridays the Aquarium in Brooklyn is free!

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 12:48 am
Do you mind a bit of a drive? If not, what about going to a farm where you can pick your own fruits and vegetables? It's a great physical activity for kids, they can learn about how things grow, and then you can go home and cook/bake/eat the results! Look here for more info.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 1:30 am
Kids in action and then go to Amazing Savings?

Chuck e cheese

Train ride to a nice park

Cdlf

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 8:51 am
There is a new free water taxi ride from IKEA in Red Hook to South Street Seaport and back. You can take the train to the Seaport and hang out there and come back witht the water taxi and then visit IKEA. They have a little playroom where staff members watch your kids while you shop or put them in your wagon, it's very kid friendly. Or you can drive to Ikea, 3 minutes off the Hamilton Ave. Exit of Prospect Expressway, and do a 2 way water taxi trip, and IKEA bef. or after. There is alsa a beautiful FAirway Supermarket right near IKEA. There is an upstairs that's open and a downstairs that's closed. They did't let my 2 year old upstairs though, saying it wasn't safe. Let me know how it was.

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 10:30 am
these are all terrific ideas-- someone was also just recommending a circle line cruise, which sounded really nice too

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 10:36 am
aren't some zoos and childrens museums free on some days of the week in ny?

My kids love when we go to the beach, get some plastic buckets, spades, a beach ball. they paddle and build sandcastles, and bury each other. the beaches where I live are pretty quiet, if you have older boys and the beaaches are busy you may not want to do this.

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 10:41 am
yeah, there were a couple of summers that I took the little ones to the beach quite a bit, and they really enjoy the water, but maybe I'm getting to be an old fogey-- the sun and the sand and the soppy long skirt are starting to get to me.... Sad

RachelB

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 10:52 am
I went to Amazing Savings and got projects: 99-$1.99.
Aquarium is nice, Central Park Zoo and Prospect Park Zoo are great.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 12:35 pm
jellybean wrote:
yeah, there were a couple of summers that I took the little ones to the beach quite a bit, and they really enjoy the water, but maybe I'm getting to be an old fogey-- the sun and the sand and the soppy long skirt are starting to get to me.... Sad

wear a shorter skirt? If you wear the right clothes it is probably more fun.

Dandelion1

Post Sun, Jun 22 2008, 9:36 pm
yes, this summer I am determined to get one of those lycra swim skirts and tops-- or at least the skirt with a tee shirt.

morahaviva

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 12:03 am
I took the kids to see Kung Fu Panda today - not as bad as the Barney movie (about a decade ago) and very tame - but might be scary for timid kids (bad guy gets out of jail) but has a lesson .... believe in yourself!
Cute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries