Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Phone calls?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 5:31 pm
My daughter said her friend just told her that she got calls from two seminaries she was accepted to — both calling to tell her how badly they want her to come to their school. Is this for real?? Do schools really call like this? Now my daughter is feeling hurt nobody called her…

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 5:43 pm
Of course it's for real. Don't college recruiters follow up with candidates they really want?
My friends daughter got a call from a seminary last year offering a significant scholarship BEFORE THE FAMILY EVEN GOT AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER.
But considering how many good girls don't have a seminary yet, tell your daughter that she is clearly very wanted.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
Of course it's for real. Don't college recruiters follow up with candidates they really want?
My friends daughter got a call from a seminary last year offering a significant scholarship BEFORE THE FAMILY EVEN GOT AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER.
But considering how many good girls don't have a seminary yet, tell your daughter that she is clearly very wanted.

It’s real as in you know such calls are being made, or real as in you assume it makes sense?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 1:20 am
I received a call like that as a 12th grader. Although they didn’t directly call me but called my high school principal.

SweetMouse

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 1:27 am
It is usually the newer or less established seminaries that do this. Did DD apply to more established places? I've yet to hear of an established place doing this.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:15 am
SweetMouse wrote:
It is usually the newer or less established seminaries that do this. Did DD apply to more established places? I've yet to hear of an established place doing this.

Exactly. It's done by seminaries that are building up their crowd.
Or whose crowd is threatened.
Many seminaries in these categories this year.

Much of the reason is to be able to immediately say when acceptances go out that so and sos are attending. If they didn't reach in advance out the girl may take time to accepted or never accept.

Also, some high schools try to get as many people a slot on acceptance day as possible so ask girls to choose in advance. If the family not sure, I would guess they would speak to the seminaries. Though that is family calling sem.

Not so classy for girl to mention, but please please You and dd need to calm down and you are the grownup here. Of course it hurts a little, but this is a small things. please take a deep breath, reframe, and with a whole heart encourage your daughter. This should be a fleeting twinge. Posting on ima about your daughter being hurt by this seems like you both are spiraling. I assure you she is picking up on your feelings.

gottago

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:21 am
Great opportunity to teach your daughter that there will always be someone who has more than her. Relax. Your daughter has a sem to go to. So what if someone else was higher on the list than she?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:01 am
A few years ago, my sister received such a call, with an offer for a very substantial discount if my niece attends Seminary X. The call actually felt strange to my sister, so she looked into the seminary more (including a conversation with their Rav), and found out some things she didn't know. They did not send my niece there (and without that call, they might have).

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:16 am
Wow, never heard of this

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:19 am
Seminaries know that getting certain girls to come will convince others who are on the fence. That's why they may reach out to a girl who they see as possibly bringing along a desirable group of friends.

I can't tell you how foolproof or ethical this practice is, but I know it exists.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:24 am
Op is your daughter going to a more established place if that is the case then don’t be insulted established places don’t do this.

Also your daughters friend could be lying she probably got one phone call and is exaggerating she got two.

And getting phone calls means the girl
Is going to not good places who even wants to go to such places.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:25 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Seminaries know that getting certain girls to come will convince others who are on the fence. That's why they may reach out to a girl who they see as possibly bringing along a desirable group of friends.

I can't tell you how foolproof or ethical this practice is, but I know it exists.

In fact, when my sister went to a certain popular seminary that was new"ish, two of her close friends there told her they were there for practically free. The seminary had communicated thru the school, got these two very nice girls to come. It was done to build up their seminary (and that kind of strategy works very well).

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:56 am
When my daughters were accepted to multiple seminaries, they received calls the day after the acceptance urging them to make their decision quickly because they had very long waiting lists. Maybe that's what she's talking about?

MindOverMatter

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 5:57 pm
Yes! My daughter also got a phone call but please tell your DD NOT to take it personally. I think it's because of the wait-list situation. So many girls were wait-listed places, I have a feeling that they want to get a move on and start accepting the second round. Truly, it's most likely the situation.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 6:17 pm
gottago wrote:
Great opportunity to teach your daughter that there will always be someone who has more than her. Relax. Your daughter has a sem to go to. So what if someone else was higher on the list than she?

I think it's a great opportunity to teach dd that certain things shouldn't be shared even with very close friends. The call was confidential and the seminary definitely wouldn't want her to share.

We actually had it with one of my daughters a few years ago with offers from 2 seminaries. Wasn't something we shared with others.

bsy

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 6:20 pm
Chayalle wrote:
In fact, when my sister went to a certain popular seminary that was new"ish, two of her close friends there told her they were there for practically free. The seminary had communicated thru the school, got these two very nice girls to come. It was done to build up their seminary (and that kind of strategy works very well).

This. Both my sisters went with significant scholarships because the seminaries were building up their names (2 different seminaries, 4 years apart).

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 7:22 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
When my daughters were accepted to multiple seminaries, they received calls the day after the acceptance urging them to make their decision quickly because they had very long waiting lists. Maybe that's what she's talking about?

This is most likely the reason they called if those girls were accepted to a few places.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info