Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Flip Phone v smartphone
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:22 am
I’m thinking about getting a flip phone. I waste so much time on my phone. What made you get a flip phone instead of a smartphone? What were the pros and cons? What did you do for pictures, music, Waze? Which flip phone did you get? How has it enhanced your life? How has it made it more difficult?

amother
Brass

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:26 am
There are flip phones with Waze.
I currently have the Qin F30- it's a koshered version of the F21 Pro.
It only has Waze, weather, Gmail, Smartlist and no browser

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:42 am
For music we have a tablet without any service or apps - only music. (Tag put on a filter that completely blocks everything for no charge)

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 11:07 am
We've never had smartphones, so it could be our perspective is different.

We have a digital camera. A GPS. CDs instead of digital music. (And a Naki that belongs to one of our kids.)

Yes, a smartphone takes the place of several other devices. For us, it's worth the investment.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 12:46 pm
What do you do if you listen to podcasts?

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 12:48 pm
I have an iphone I am not giving up but I have been really looking into getting an apple watch so I can put my phone in a drawer and not miss any thing important like my kids bus chat. But I wont have the browser in my face all the time.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
For music we have a tablet without any service or apps - only music. (Tag put on a filter that completely blocks everything for no charge)

How did you get tag to put a filter on without charging?

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 2:33 pm
I have a flip phone and a separate waze device. It costs $20 per month and totally worth it.
I feel am much calmer with a flip phone, don't feel like I need to check if I missed anything anymore.

$

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
How did you get tag to put a filter on without charging?

DH just walked in and said wants it completely blocked. They did that and it's a free service. (Did not even know beforehand)

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 2:50 pm
I have waze on my flip

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:03 pm
I have a flip phone and a separate waze device. It costs $20 per month and totally worth it.
I feel am much calmer with a flip phone, don't feel like I need to check if I missed anything anymore.

Where did u get your service from?

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 3:48 pm
For those posting they have waze on their flip phone-

Which type of phone do you have?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:40 pm
I have a flip phone, used to have I phone years ago. I switched when I stopped working. I just wanted to disconnect. It took me a few months to adjust.

Waze, I use the gps that comes with the car.
Pictures-I have a camera. I don’t take pictures as often, since I don’t always have my camera with me.
Music, I’m not so into it, never really used music on my phone. I have a music system in the house with a library of songs so jus ruse that at home. In the car I have cds or USB’s with music
I don’t listen to podcasts

Pros- I’m more focused on real life, not distracted by WhatsApp, constant email access, browser, Instagram, etc. once or twice a day I go to my computer to check emails.

Cons- some people only communicate with WhatsApp and they need to adjust for me. Or when people text me links and I can’t follow. Like a pharmacy I was dealing with today, I just asked them if I can work over the phone, and they accommodated me. Major con when traveling, especially internationally. The world expects people to have smart phones so check in for flights, and stuff are all with smartphone, with the scanning thing. I have to ask for them to scan papers instead. I need to make sure to print out all necessary paperwork before traveling.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:

A trac flip.
My bil is a tech genius and put it on

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:49 pm
My biggest issue with a flip phone is the keypad. I cannot go back to t9. I hardly use my phone for any other services other than call and text since my data is very low and slow. Someone told me about a fig flip phone that has a touchscreen so you can type on the screen, but it's very expensive for a flip phone at over 300 dollars. Does anyone have any better options?

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:51 pm
There are really shticky flip phones with touch screens that you can download apps and block the rest.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:22 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:

I have the typical LG flip, with a filter called kosher cellutions. They have a list of a few apps you can have on it one of them being waze. (I have jstream, weather and smartlist. ) I think they have a website.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:02 pm
I have a smartphone. I’m a medical provider and I have my mobile chart access/pager and all of my research apps (clinical calculators, drug lookups, treatment plans) on my phone. There’s no way to get around it. My kids listen to music on our Naki Radio. We love Radio Kol Chai Music.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:28 pm
I have the sunbeam orchid flip phone. it has a talk to text option (first 6 months free trial and then like $3.50/month) which is really great. it also has gps. it does glitch up sometimes though.

I still have my smartphone because I need to do "paper"work, etc, but I like that I can only use it when connected to wifi, so it can't distract me in the car. or at my 2nd job, where there is no available wifi.

post script: my flip did break after almost 12 months... I sent for repair and waiting for it to return so now my sim card is back in my smart phone... and I don't like that it distracts me!!

Trademark

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Jean wrote:
There are really shticky flip phones with touch screens that you can download apps and block the rest.

You can do the same with your current phone. Downloads the apps you need and block the rest.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics