Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
How many pairs of shoes for son?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 1:18 pm
I dont understand y someone would be outraged by other people spending more then they r....y in the world would u care?

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 1:25 pm
No one here is "outraged."

One person said she's astounded, and I can understand why. Because I myself see it a big waste to pay more than $25-30 for a pair of shoes that the baby will wear for 3 or 4 months. You might have a different opinion. Smile

Clarissa

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 1:26 pm
I pay between $45 and $55 for little kid shoes, because I buy brands like Stride Rite, which I think are best for walking. For my older kid it's no longer Stride Rite, and his run about $45 to $70. That's why we really only buy one or two pairs a season -- usually sneakers and sandals, or sneakers and boots.

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 1:27 pm
whooops....reading too many threads at onetime and im mixing up words in my head...lol

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 2:09 pm
chayitty wrote:
I dont understand y someone would be outraged by other people spending more then they r....y in the world would u care?

The OP didn't post pictures of her son's shoes and ask us to admire them. She asked for our opinion if that was what her son needed.

red sea

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 2:36 pm
Mommy007 wrote:
Hi...I would like some peoples advice on shoes please!!

My son is k"nh 18 months. I will be in the country for the summer and I was wondering how many pairs of shoes he needs. Heres what I calculated...

Sandals-nice enough to wear maybe shabbos...shabbos afternoon... and during the week with shorts (since shoes and socks look kinda nerdy) and it will be hot.

Crocs-for the pool, slippers...ect.

sneakers-for running around, park, walking...

I dont know what to do about shabbos...I dont think he needs "shabbos shoes" but what about when he wears socks with his outfit...what shoes do I put him in? I love loafers but I doubt he will keep them on and they are also like close to 100 bux a pair!!!

What does everyone do? thanks

Buy one good most versatile pair but then if you feel the need to have a variety, you can supplement his shoe wardrobe from inexpensive stores or sales or like amazing savings has the fake crocs which work fine for the pool. An 18 month old does not need a couple hundred dollars worth of footwear.

Mommy007

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:18 pm
shalhevet "The OP didn't post pictures of her son's shoes and ask us to admire them. She asked for our opinion if that was what her son needed."

Thank you. This is my first kid and I posted to hear what people do. I didnt expect people to think that I am a huge overspender and think that everyone spends 75 bux or more on a kids pair of shoes. If I wanted to spend all that money, I would not have posted and just bought a bunch of pairs of shoes. I wasn't sure what to do and what other people do...since like I said before, its my first kid b"h...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:53 pm
My 17 month old has one pair of shoes -- closed toe sandals. I got black, because that's what they had, and figured those are good for Shabbos, too, not that I really cared. They cost me a whopping $15.
I got him a pair of Shabbos shoes for $5 (bought them from someone who got wrong size, so I got a real bargain) for his uncle's chassuna, but he has no interest in trying to figure out how to wear them. So he wore his sandals, and I'm fine with that.
For the water, he goes barefoot.
He has an older pair of off-brand Robeez from before his "real" shoes that I sometimes use as slippers for him, but really his sandals are more than enough.

(Shabbos shoes I got for my older son this past sukkos when he was 2.5 and my sister was getting married. They cost me $12. And he's still wearing them.)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 10:02 pm
I like to buy good quality shoes because I do think they make a difference. I bought a pair of shoes($70) to wear from pesach until about lag baomer every day. Then I got good sneakers ($30) for weekday and dd wears the shoes for shabbos. Then I found a website that has the brand crocs in her size and I just had to order a pair.

Last edited by flowerpower on Mon, Jun 23 2008, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

chayitty

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 10:05 pm
it deosmake a dif....a good shoe is very imp!...ratherbuy one good shoe then a bunch of junk...if thats ur options

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:05 am
http://babycheapskate.blogspot......html

More important than quality of stitching is the flexibility of the sole. The shoes are going to be outgrown anyway, and you're not supposed to pass them down. Most shoes will last the few months you need them. Even if they are (gasp) from Target or Walmart.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:29 am
A child's foot will develop properly whether they have $70 shoes or $10 shoes.
It will also develop properly if the child wears his shoes on the wrong feet for a full day every so often.

In any case, there are some people who have their kids wear shoes inside the house What and even sleep with them shock
I don't... so I don't feel like their feet will be trapped in these shoes from now until the day they wear out. Maybe if I would do that, it would be important to get perfectly shaped and supportive shoes because the feet would actually be growing to fit the shoes' shape.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:37 am
Any podiatrist will tell you that the quality of the shoe does matter. They are also knocking the flat shoes for adults-they say it kills thier feet.

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:41 am
GAMZu wrote:
A child's foot will develop properly whether they have $70 shoes or $10 shoes.
It will also develop properly if the child wears his shoes on the wrong feet for a full day every so often.

In any case, there are some people who have their kids wear shoes inside the house What and even sleep with them shock
I don't... so I don't feel like their feet will be trapped in these shoes from now until the day they wear out. Maybe if I would do that, it would be important to get perfectly shaped and supportive shoes because the feet would actually be growing to fit the shoes' shape.

its extremely important for a child to have properly fitted shoes, doesn't matter the price but a good shoe is definitely important and an ill fitted shoe can not only cause blisters and cuts, but feet deformities as well!!

FIRST SHOES
Right from the beginning, it is important that shoes
fit properly. Choose them carefully because poor
fitting could lead to foot deformities later. Growing
feet need room to grow.
Shoes should be soft and pliable and fit securely
onto feet. Choose a pair with laces, strap or some
other fastening to hold the heel in position.
The inner edge of the shoe should be as straight as
possible, and the toe should be both wide and
deep enough. There should be no pressure on the
little toe, and the heel should fit snugly. Avoid
tapered shoes.
Sandals with a secure strap over the instep stop
the foot slipping forward and damaging toes. This
is where foot trouble can start.
Cotton or woollen socks are best, but whatever you
buy, check the fit. Don’t forget, tight socks can
also affect foot development adversely.
DESIRABLE FEATURES OF GOOD SHOES
● Length, breadth and depth need to be adequate.
This is assessed by measuring the child’s foot
before each shoe purchase.
● A firm heel cup is important in helping the heel
to sit squarely in the shoe. A soft heel cup will
deform rapidly and the shoe will become a
‘sloppy’ fit.
● The shoe should have a sole which will provide
protection and allow flexibility in the area of the
ball of the foot.
● A rounded or square toe-box will allow more
room for the toes to move than a pointed toe-box.
CHECKING THE SIZE
Allow a space of one to two centimetres between
the longest toe and the end of the shoe.
Check the length by getting your child to stand on
a piece of cardboard. Mark with a pencil the back
of the heel and tip of the longest toe of each foot.
Cut a two-centimetre wide strip of cardboard to the
marked length, and insert it into the shoe.c

GAMZu

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:52 am
So you get flexible, roomy shoes from Payless, Target, Walmart, whatever.

Again, like I said, my kids don't live in their shoes. It won't cause deformities to wear the shoes 4 or 5 hours a day.

shoy18

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 10:54 am
GAMZu wrote:
So you get flexible, roomy shoes from Payless, Target, Walmart, whatever.

Again, like I said, my kids don't live in their shoes. It won't cause deformities to wear the shoes 4 or 5 hours a day.

as I said before money isnt the issue, but when getting a first pair of shoes your best off going somewhere with a proper shoe fitter.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:15 am
flowerpower wrote:
Any podiatrist will tell you that the quality of the shoe does matter. They are also knocking the flat shoes for adults-they say it kills thier feet.

That's the type of shoe, not quality.
Whether it's hand sewn in Italy, or made in China doesn't matter.
It's the shoe flexibility and fit that matters for the foot, not the way it's stitched.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:18 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

It's the shoe flexibility and fit that matters for the foot, not the way it's stitched.

The shoes that are made well and are good quality are usually not cheap. The eccos are great for first walkers. They last much longer then the cheap shoes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:22 am
flowerpower wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
flowerpower wrote:

The shoes that are made well and are good quality are usually not cheap. The eccos are great for first walkers. They last much longer then the cheap shoes.

But again, they don't NEED to last long. First walkers last a few months, as the feet grow so quickly. You don't need a pair of shoes that will hold up for a year or two or three.
They just need to hold up for a few months, and the Walmart ones can many times go much longer than that.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jun 24 2008, 11:25 am
My kids are very very active. They run and climb a lot. If I would get them cheap brand shoes I am sure they would be a goner sooner or later. I get good sturdy shoes that don't fall apart too quickly.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries