Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Weird replies from a new contact at work
1  2  Next



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:24 am
My husband mentioned to me that he started dealing with a (he decided chassidish-sounding) female though his work. Whenever he sends her a document she asked for she'll reply with "much obliged" or "many thanks".

Is this normal word usage for the local girls to use?
Back to top

amother
Mayflower


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:34 am
Many thanks is totally appropriate. What’s the judgement for exactly??
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:37 am
She probably was told to say that professionally. It's a bit formal
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:46 am
No judgement. Just asking. I work in an office where we request documents all day. No one uses those words.
Back to top

amother
Blonde


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 10:50 am
normal
Back to top

s1




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:01 am
amother OP wrote:
No judgement. Just asking. I work in an office where we request documents all day. No one uses those words.


Which words do you normally use?
I think many thanks is perfectly normal, much obliged is quite posh
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:06 am
He obviously thought these words were out of the ordinary, because no one else he deals with in that office uses them. (Never mind that even a basic thank you email 10x a day is annoying.)
Back to top

amother
Oleander


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:09 am
Sounds normal to me- Brit here
Back to top

amother
Red


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:12 am
amother OP wrote:
He obviously thought these words were out of the ordinary, because no one else he deals with in that office uses them. (Never mind that even a basic thank you email 10x a day is annoying.)


I applaud her personality.

If your DH doesn't want her to acknowledge his emails - he should politely tell her.
Back to top

SuperWify




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:29 am
Yes for the English.
Back to top

amother
Saddlebrown


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:53 am
Is she british?

Whilst I am a brit, I'd never write or say much obliged unless I was being silly, but very often say and would email many thanks!
Back to top

exhausted




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 11:54 am
Very normal
Back to top

daffys




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 12:49 pm
Very normal for a Chassidish girl . They’re usually extra formal when dealing with men.
Back to top

Kiwi13




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:31 pm
When I worked with a British publisher for a while, I picked up some of the lingo… “Many thanks,” “In due course,” etc.

And then it got interesting at the next place I worked. 😂

She could have picked it up anywhere. You never know. It’s formal and polite.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
He obviously thought these words were out of the ordinary, because no one else he deals with in that office uses them. (Never mind that even a basic thank you email 10x a day is annoying.)


While they are not typical closings in the emails at my employer in my location, they seem rather professional and appropriate.

Even if I got a thank you reply email, I don't find it annoying. It's normal and professional to say thanks/thank you/many thanks, etc. in a quick reply email. If I got manifestos of gratitude constantly, that would be weird and somewhat annoying.

I usually close my work emails with "Thanks" or "Thank you" if that's and appropriate closing as do most of my peers.
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:55 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
While they are not typical closings in the emails at my employer in my location, they seem rather professional and appropriate.

Even if I got a thank you reply email, I don't find it annoying. It's normal and professional to say thanks/thank you/many thanks, etc. in a quick reply email. If I got manifestos of gratitude constantly, that would be weird and somewhat annoying.

I usually close my work emails with "Thanks" or "Thank you" if that's and appropriate closing as do most of my peers.


Sure. I get that. That's normal. But to request 10 documents a day and respond to each email with a reply of many thanks or much obliged is just odd. I agree with him. Sorry!
Back to top

amother
Banana


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 1:58 pm
I don't understand the question. It's well within the realm if appropriate no matter how many times a day you email. It's formal and professional. Definitely not "weird" or "annoying"
Back to top

amother
Lightpink


 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:42 pm
She also may have this set as her signature. I use outlook at work and have a formal signature set up, and a response signature. It could be she just has one signature for regardless where she is in the email thread.
Back to top

Rubber Ducky




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:54 pm
The responses let your husband know that she received the emails — it's polite and responsible. The "much obliged" formal language may be because she is Chassidish.
Back to top

NotInNJMommy




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Mar 07 2023, 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sure. I get that. That's normal. But to request 10 documents a day and respond to each email with a reply of many thanks or much obliged is just odd. I agree with him. Sorry!


I just don't know who has that much time to get that bothered by a quick email that says thanks and indicates the item was received.

Also, why does it bother you that much? I don't have time to get annoyed for my husband over smaller matters. I have enough on my own plate.


Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Tue, Mar 07 2023, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
How do women with children work full time?
by amother
48 Yesterday at 5:24 pm View last post
Luach Ad - no contact #?
by amother
2 Yesterday at 9:25 am View last post
Extreme behavior, arm flapping, weird eye movements
by amother
80 Sun, Jul 14 2024, 6:25 pm View last post
Dental work under sedation
by amother
42 Fri, Jul 12 2024, 11:18 am View last post
It's 10:20 pm - work or household??
by amother
6 Fri, Jul 12 2024, 12:02 am View last post