Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Do some brokers get better deals than others, and know about

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 1:24 am
Do some Toms River/Jackson brokers get better deals than others, or know about more houses than others, or are they really all the same?

Which is the best website for finding newly listed properties? Redfin? Zillow? Weichert? Others?

tia

tryinghard

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 4:56 am
Realtor here, but from a totally different area:
I’m not sure how things are different in Lakewood, but generally there are benefits to using different agents. Some are more connected than others, and that may mean knowing about houses coming up in the future, or houses that aren’t listed, or they have a good relationship with the listing agent so they have an advantage in trying to work out a mutually beneficial deal for buyer and seller, where the other agent is motivated to help make things work out (Please note, this doesn’t mean the seller is getting less than perfect service, a positive relationship between the two agents usually results in smoother transactions and happier clients all around).

As far as the websites go, again I cannot speak to Lakewood but in my area, they are all the same, and all have the same drawbacks. They are notoriously unreliable for value estimates, but are great for pictures and objective facts like numbers of beds and baths. I tell my clients, I’m glad for you to see the houses as they come up on Zillow but please don’t believe a word Zillow says about value. They can be really off base.
Don’t contact agents listed there on Zillow next to a particular listing. Those are either the listing agent or agents who paid to have their info shoved in your face. And while theoretically you may be able to save some money by working with the listing agent, in practice it’s not worthwhile because the agent’s first loyalty is to the seller, and you don’t have anyone prioritizing your interests.

Then there are the websites of individual brokers, like Weichert. They all have access to the same listings, they are just trying to steer you towards using their agents.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 9:30 am
In general agents will have access to all listings that everyone else has. Very occasionally someone will have what is known as a pocket listing in which someone doesn't want to list for some reason but would be willing to sell if the right offer came along.

However there is a HUGE difference in terms of the competence of agents. A good agent will be able to advise on whether a property is a good value; what a neighborhood is like - even what an individual street is like.

A good agent will also have some idea of whether remodeling or adding makes sense. How much it would cost. How things could be configured to work better. They would also have a bit of an idea of how good condition there is in terms of spotting potential issues. Obviously this doesn't replace a good inspector or mean the agent is a builder - only that they are savvy.

And of course a good agent is generally a better negotiator. They can advise on what price they think a property should "land" at. What to offer - not too high and not too low and how to successfully negotiate with the other agent.

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:10 am
tryinghard wrote:
Realtor here, but from a totally different area:
I’m not sure how things are different in Lakewood, but generally there are benefits to using different agents. Some are more connected than others, and that may mean knowing about houses coming up in the future, or houses that aren’t listed, or they have a good relationship with the listing agent so they have an advantage in trying to work out a mutually beneficial deal for buyer and seller, where the other agent is motivated to help make things work out (Please note, this doesn’t mean the seller is getting less than perfect service, a positive relationship between the two agents usually results in smoother transactions and happier clients all around).

As far as the websites go, again I cannot speak to Lakewood but in my area, they are all the same, and all have the same drawbacks. They are notoriously unreliable for value estimates, but are great for pictures and objective facts like numbers of beds and baths. I tell my clients, I’m glad for you to see the houses as they come up on Zillow but please don’t believe a word Zillow says about value. They can be really off base.
Don’t contact agents listed there on Zillow next to a particular listing. Those are either the listing agent or agents who paid to have their info shoved in your face. And while theoretically you may be able to save some money by working with the listing agent, in practice it’s not worthwhile because the agent’s first loyalty is to the seller, and you don’t have anyone prioritizing your interests.

Then there are the websites of individual brokers, like Weichert. They all have access to the same listings, they are just trying to steer you towards using their agents.

I’m a local Lakewood realtor.
Sorry to say this- but This is not a clear or accurate answer at all!
I do not know where you practice real estate or how many years you are in the business as a reference.
I will tell you that the first most important thing is to find ONE realtor that you can trust - and stick with them.
Most homes get listed here and if they’re off market, most local realtors are happy to share.
It’s in every home owner/ home buyer’s interest to find someone they can rely on to guide and negotiate on their behalf.
There’s also so many areas to choose from.
The whole process can be extremely overwhelming. Hand holding and guiding is the key in getting you home efficiently.
Good luck on your journey!

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 12:12 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
In general agents will have access to all listings that everyone else has. Very occasionally someone will have what is known as a pocket listing in which someone doesn't want to list for some reason but would be willing to sell if the right offer came along.

However there is a HUGE difference in terms of the competence of agents. A good agent will be able to advise on whether a property is a good value; what a neighborhood is like - even what an individual street is like.

A good agent will also have some idea of whether remodeling or adding makes sense. How much it would cost. How things could be configured to work better. They would also have a bit of an idea of how good condition there is in terms of spotting potential issues. Obviously this doesn't replace a good inspector or mean the agent is a builder - only that they are savvy.

And of course a good agent is generally a better negotiator. They can advise on what price they think a property should "land" at. What to offer - not too high and not too low and how to successfully negotiate with the other agent.

Well said
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries