Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Cutco Knives - do you have? worth the hype? worth the $$$?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 2:28 pm
The title says it all. Do you have and is it worth it? How are they different from other knives (aside from the free lifetime sharpening services). I know these knifes can run $100+ each and I don't have a lot of extra money but do want to treat myself to something. I can easier come up with $200 and get some enjoyment now versus say a new sheital which will take me 3 years to save up for.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 2:33 pm
It’s an mlm don’t fall for it.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 2:45 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
It’s an mlm don’t fall for it.

The product is good. Its not a scam.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 2:57 pm
You can get equally good knives for a better price especially if you wait for a sale. They are not bad knives but extremely overpriced.

Better to build up your knives by buying the best of the specific type you want and go with a high quality less expensive brand

The problem with many people is that they don’t keep their knives sharpened. A sharp knife is safer and of course makes prep easier

There are even some relatively inexpensive brands if you don’t want to invest. Also a very expensive bread knife isn’t as important as a very high quality Chefs knife or Santoko knife because they are the backbone of one’s knives and critical for prepping.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:03 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
The product is good. Its not a scam.

There are many great knives, this isn't more special than cheaper knives that are excellent. It is an mlm and once you buy it you will be hounded by the rep to buy more and more.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:05 pm
The knives are overpriced but it is NOT a MLM as there aren’t levels if distributors in which you recruit Wolpe. Cutco deals directly with each distributor of their knives.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:07 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
There are many great knives, this isn't more special than cheaper knives that are excellent. It is an mlm and once you buy it you will be hounded by the rep to buy more and more.

You are paying for the lifetime of sharpening - if you aren't going to use it - then agree don't pay for it.

(I just object to the idea that an MLM is a scam, because its an MLM. Would I got out of my way to buy a cutco knife, no. would I buy one from a friend - sure).

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:08 pm
Everyone can read about it. https://www.scamrisk.com/cutco/

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Everyone can read about it. https://www.scamrisk.com/cutco/

I don't think OP is looking for information on whether she should be a Cutco knife dealer.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:15 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
I don't think OP is looking for information on whether she should be a Cutco knife dealer.

This is for those claiming it isn't an mlm.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:16 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
This is for those claiming it isn't an mlm.

No one made that claim. Its a well known MLM company.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:37 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
No one made that claim. Its a well known MLM company.

It is NOT an MLM company as such term is widely understood. It employs direct sales people but doesn't rely on multiple layers in which people make their money by recruiting people under them rather than by selling products.

Often a MLM also requires a prospective "mark" to purchase a lot of products in order to qualify

Cutco is a Direct Selling company. Their knives have a long standing reputation for quality and value. The financial opportunity to sell the knives is focused on your own direct sales of the products. Team building opportunities are available but I believe they are limited to 1 level of compensation….not multilevels of compensations. There is no clear definition of a pyramid scheme when it comes to direct selling opportunities. It is more a slang term applied to opportunities that traffic in fraud, hype and worthless products.

https://gighustlers.com/is-cut.....scam/

However OP is not seeking information on SELLING. As posted the knives are overpriced for what they are. They are good quality but you can get as good or better quality for less money.

Sharpening can be done at home with only very occasional visits to a professional knife sharpener if you have neglected. Most butchers will do it as a free courtesy for their customers.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:41 pm
Amarante wrote:
It is NOT an MLM company as such term is widely understood. It employs direct sales people but doesn't rely on multiple layers in which people make their money by recruiting people under them rather than by selling products.

Often a MLM also requires a prospective "mark" to purchase a lot of products in order to qualify

Cutco is a Direct Selling company. Their knives have a long standing reputation for quality and value. The financial opportunity to sell the knives is focused on your own direct sales of the products. Team building opportunities are available but I believe they are limited to 1 level of compensation….not multilevels of compensations. There is no clear definition of a pyramid scheme when it comes to direct selling opportunities. It is more a slang term applied to opportunities that traffic in fraud, hype and worthless products.

https://gighustlers.com/is-cut.....scam/

However OP is not seeking information on SELLING. As posted the knives are overpriced for what they are. They are good quality but you can get as good or better quality for less money.

Sharpening can be done at home with only very occasional visits to a professional knife sharpener if you have neglected. Most butchers will do it as a free courtesy for their customers.

Did you read the article I posted? I am very well versed in all the types of mlm.

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:46 pm
I hate mine. I have several sets. They are too sharp, and they break away from the handles. The Japanese knives from Costco are much better.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:49 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Did you read the article I posted? I am very well versed in all the types of mlm.

Well anonymous imamother - I ask whether you actually read it.

Because the article states that it is NOT an MLM - just a horrible way to attempt to earn a living through direct sales because you are unlikely to make very many sales.

An MLM means that you make commission chiefly by getting payments on those you have recruited and those who have been recruited by those who have been recruited.

The whole discussion is irrelevant because OP is asking about buying the knives.

They aren't a good value

If she were asking about it as a potential income stream, I would also advise against because it is a hard way to make a living.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:54 pm
I grew up on Cutco knives being THE best so I was super excited to get a full set as a wedding present.

But then we also got 2 Wusthof knives and they're AMAZING.

So, yes, Cutco knives are great. But Wusthof knives are out of this world.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:56 pm
Amarante wrote:
Well anonymous imamother - I ask whether you actually read it.

Because the article states that it is NOT an MLM - just a horrible way to attempt to earn a living through direct sales because you are unlikely to make very many sales.

An MLM means that you make commission chiefly by getting payments on those you have recruited and those who have been recruited by those who have been recruited.

The whole discussion is irrelevant because OP is asking about buying the knives.

They aren't a good value

If she were asking about it as a potential income stream, I would also advise against because it is a hard way to make a living.

"Because Cutco Cutlery is – plain and simple – an MLM. Throw whatever fancy name you want on it…multi-level marketing (MLM), network marketing (NWM), direct sales, or anything else, it’s the same concept:" Direct quote from the article

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:57 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:

The "article" you posted was a sales pitch.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 4:12 pm
I've had cutco for over 20 years. I love them. They're worth the money in my opinion. I can't say anything about other knives because I've never used other knives.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 4:27 pm
I LOVE my CUTCO knives. First of all they’re pretty, I have the white Pearl handles. And secondly they are so so comfortable to hold. I use them every time I reach for a knife. My favorite is the Cheese knife. I use it for cutting all my vegetables. We have the bread knife for challah, also Pearl handle, it’s great. The table knives are sharp enough to be used as steak knives, and are so comfortable to use.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics