Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yaakov Machon Ora in Passaic

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 08 2023, 3:01 pm
would like current information about the school. what kind of girls? hashkafos? which seminaries girls attend? what kind of crowd it attracts?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 6:48 pm
bump Smile

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:22 pm
I went there a few years ago so my information might be a little outdated.

When I went, the school was a bit more open minded than BYP but was definitely still a bais yaakov, and my high school friends are the most amazing people I know. The teacher are absolutely phenomenal.

We went to seminaries ranging from BJJ, Mesores Rochel, Bnos Sarah to Machon Raaya, Michlala.

Most of the girls (thought not all) are more academic, really looking to learn.

The crowd is probably more baalebatish, like parents are professionals, but about half of my grade married/is looking for boys learning in kollel for at least a few years if not longer.

I had the most amazing experience

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:28 pm
thank you so much that is really helpful!! can anyone with current info chime in? is what amother sage said still an accurate description? or if the school has evolved in a certain direction since then, can you please tell me about that? TIA!

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Jun 04 2023, 7:33 pm
I don’t know the school but my nieces went there and they are refined bais Yaakov girls they both went to Machon Raya for seminary. Their parents are JPF/black hat on Shabbos type working professionals

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 11:45 pm
thank you--when did the younger niece graduate? Are they both very academic types? My daughter heard it's a very academic school. She is a good student but is also very active and social and doesn't want to go to a school that is known for being "very academic".

imacoolmom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2023, 11:54 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
thank you--when did the younger niece graduate? Are they both very academic types? My daughter heard it's a very academic school. She is a good student but is also very active and social and doesn't want to go to a school that is known for being "very academic".

Yes they are the academic types

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 12:15 am
I have a dd currently in the school. We love it! I think the previous descriptions are accurate. It is definitely an academic school but the girls also have a lot of fun. It is a warm place with a lot of ruach, many activities etc. Also my dd isn’t the most academic but the school really found ways for her to shine in other arenas - and her skills etc are so good now too! We are very happy

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 1:02 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
I have a dd currently in the school. We love it! I think the previous descriptions are accurate. It is definitely an academic school but the girls also have a lot of fun. It is a warm place with a lot of ruach, many activities etc. Also my dd isn’t the most academic but the school really found ways for her to shine in other arenas - and her skills etc are so good now too! We are very happy

thank you so much for sharing this!!
can I ask you a different question--what about smartphones? what is the school's policy, around what percentage of students do you think have them, and what about the parents? Are there any parents who don't have smartphones or whatsapp?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 7:18 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
thank you so much for sharing this!!
can I ask you a different question--what about smartphones? what is the school's policy, around what percentage of students do you think have them, and what about the parents? Are there any parents who don't have smartphones or whatsapp?

Im pretty sure that the older grades some of the girls have kosher smart phones but in the younger grades they have flip phones. I’m not 100% sure if the policy because my dd only has a flip phone so it’s never been a nisayon for her. They definitely do a lot of programs about smart and appropriate technology use but it’s not just lip
Service etc. It’s thoughtful and intentional and I think helps the girls make meaningful choices around this issue.

I don’t know so much about parents - I think most have WhatsApp.

It’s a great school. The new Head of school also seems wonderful.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 11:56 am
thank you so much for your reply!! others here have described the families who send as primarily professional/baalabatish. are there also some involved in chinuch/kiruv/ klei kodesh? or is there somewhat of a split and do those families mainly send to bais yaakov of passaic? in general, how would you say BYMO differentiated itself from BYOP when it was started and what are the main differences now?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Jun 06 2023, 3:45 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
thank you so much for your reply!! others here have described the families who send as primarily professional/baalabatish. are there also some involved in chinuch/kiruv/ klei kodesh? or is there somewhat of a split and do those families mainly send to bais yaakov of passaic? in general, how would you say BYMO differentiated itself from BYOP when it was started and what are the main differences now?

There are definitely families involved in chinuch/rabbanus/klei kodesh etc, and there are also many who are professional/balabatish. It is a more open minded Bais yaakov than BYP and more academically rigorous. But both are great schools.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 11:41 am
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:53 pm
Just bumping this up as we are considering Machon Ora for our eighth grader but specifically want to know how they address tznius with the girls. Do they have a judgy vibe around tznius looking at them with a microscope/ruler to make sure they have the right look, or is it with a more positive vibe? Do they call out girls if they don’t like the way they are dressed ie: skirt too short or not the right socks/shoes, and send them home? My daughter is BH a rule follower and I don’t have concerns that they will have any issue with her, but I am concerned that she receive a positive message around tznius and how it elevates us.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 2:30 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Just bumping this up as we are considering Machon Ora for our eighth grader but specifically want to know how they address tznius with the girls. Do they have a judgy vibe around tznius looking at them with a microscope/ruler to make sure they have the right look, or is it with a more positive vibe? Do they call out girls if they don’t like the way they are dressed ie: skirt too short or not the right socks/shoes, and send them home? My daughter is BH a rule follower and I don’t have concerns that they will have any issue with her, but I am concerned that she receive a positive message around tznius and how it elevates us.

Definitely not judgy at all. Giving over positive messages about tznius is actually a huge focus. Of course, they do enforce the school rules. But it’s clear it’s because it’s the school rules not because of “tznius”. Like they will have to buy a skirt or sweater from the office if they’re wearing one not compliant.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 2:34 pm
I went and loved it, my next sister also went and loved it, and now I have a 10th grade sister there.
FANTASTIC school!
In general regarding tznius, it's not cool to not dress tznius, so it's not a constant issue.
The rules around tznius are very fair and the girls understand them.
BYMO is not into "enforcing rules" as much as they care about chinuch-- so if a girl DOES need to be spoken to about her collarbone/socks/sweater, it is done in such a sensitive way that she walks away feeling positive about herself

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 12:53 am
Be very careful with this place. They can cause more harm than good. They used to be a great school when [removed by mod]. Now [removed by mod]. You better hope your daughters never have any rough times emotionally because they will not know how to be there for her or how to handle it. I am only sharing this to possibly spare another family the pain of what my daughter and I went through with this school. [...] The community needed a little more open minded Bais Yaakov. They filled that niche. Not anymore. Now they’re just trying to be like every other BY in existence. There already is a great BY in Passaic. There’s no need for a school like BYMO anymore. They don’t consider themselves a community school and don’t listen to daas Torah within the Passaic community. Hashem should help them.

[Specific names removed, leaving enough info for anyone concerned to check out this anonymous post. -mod]

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 9:54 am
I’m not sure what happened with the post above but I am a parent who has had multiple daughters in BY Machon Ora. My daughters have thrived there. Excellent education, warm and caring teachers, concern for and attention to each individual girl. The girls have a true love of Yiddishkeit, an excitement about learning and growth, and incredible kesharim with teachers.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:04 am
I'm a current parent! It's is very academic but in a very warm and loving way! Also a lot of fun! They have absolutely excellent teachers and care about internalizing values- therefore encouraging discussions and questions instead of repressing them- I think that's what makes it a little more open. It's very not judgy at all but I don't think tzniyus is an issue- I don't see girls experimenting with things bc it isn't cool to do that there. I've seen only supportive administration and teachers. I'm sorry someone had a bad experience. I see it as amazing and actually caring a bout the students a lot!!!
But yes it is academic and is known for that.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Mar 10 2024, 10:16 am
Another Steel, I’m sorry you had a bad experience but bumping up an old thread just to post lashon hara/motzi shem ra when no one is currently asking about this school is really in poor taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics