Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Stinky sandals

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 5:39 am
My son's sandals reek so badly at the end of the day and we have to keep them outside to air out overnight! I'd have him wear his sneakers with socks some days to alternate but it is so hot and he doesn't want to. I don't blame him. I don't even want to buy another pair of sandals to alternate those. I tried putting in baby powder in the morning but it didn't change much. We wash off his feet when he takes them off but sometimes his room stinks from them. He's only 7, I assume this is normal enough but what else can we try???

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 5:46 am
we soak in bleach, use medicated powder and retch

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 6:32 am
Won't bleach turn the sandal whiter or disintegrate them? They are the typical Israeli rubber-like bottom with fabric covered velcro straps.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 6:38 am
we soak the shoresh sandals, and I have not seen any major deterioration. It's this one son who reeks and I don't know why him as opposed to others. The Dr. gave him a medicated powder rx, but I think it's probably the same as xtra strength Gold Bond powder. He wears shoes on some days. It's a horrible horrible smell, and it's all over Israel. we also go this "Febreez" type stuff but I don't know if it helps or not. My dh is in charge of this son's sandals. I do the underwear for the whole family.
I was once at the house of a woman I am friendly with, she took of her sandals and put up her feet and I nearly passed out.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 6:45 am
I have fabric spray, maybe I'll try that. My DD and I wear sandals and while the odor might not be fresh after a long hot day, they don't reek like my son's.

In terms of my sandals, I'm pretty sensitive to smell so hopefully I'd pick up on it and not cause guests to pass out. I'm pretty much indoors all day anyway now and I go barefoot 99.99% of the time. The state of my badly-in-need-of-a-manicure feet might discourage visitors though. embarrassed

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 7:55 am
what are they made of?

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:01 am
Not sure what they're made of. Definitely synthethic, no leather but not much of anything to them, just 2 straps to keep them on the feet. Basically velcro straps with an embroidered thread covering to the straps, some rubber-like bottom. All the kids around here wear those kind, they're relatively cheap and the should last the summer or until he grows out of them. My DD couldn't find ones like that to fit her and I ended up spending more than double for pink leather ones for her and they smell a lot better...

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:03 am
I found that even w/ just sandals, leather or canvas is better for the smell.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:07 am
I am wondering if it's those rubber soles which are the culprit. I can't remember anyone's feet smelling so bad when I was growing up - we all had leather then, cause that was all that was available. The rubber is good because you can wear it in water and it is softer than the leather ones were but that smell - UGH.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 23 2008, 8:11 am
Well, my kids don't have crocs but I wonder if those make your feet smell as well because they are all that rubber/plastic material. Leather is more breathable but make your feet sweatier in my opinion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries