Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Storing fruits and vegetables

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:35 pm
I’m looking for ideas of how to store fruits and vegetables that don’t belong in the fridge. I currently have them on the side in a basket and hate how messy it looks. I want to store them all out of sight ( not in a fruit bowl) and wanted to know what others do .

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:45 pm
What fruit besides a banana isn’t refrigerated? They have banana trees if you always have lots of bananas.

Tomatoes shouldn’t be refrigerated nor should potatoes or onions but potatoes and onions need to be stored in a dark place so shouldn’t be on the counter? Tomatoes just do in a bowl

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 2:57 pm
I have 3 basket drawers in my kitchen island for fruit, onions, potatoes etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 3:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
What fruit besides a banana isn’t refrigerated? They have banana trees if you always have lots of bananas.

Tomatoes shouldn’t be refrigerated nor should potatoes or onions but potatoes and onions need to be stored in a dark place so shouldn’t be on the counter? Tomatoes just do in a bowl

I didn’t know that onions are supposed to be kept in the dark! Thanks
Other produce I have is avocados and tangerines which I thought were supposed to be left out the refrigerator.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 3:39 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I have 3 basket drawers in my kitchen island for fruit, onions, potatoes etc.

Are the baskets inside cabinets?

SG18

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 3:53 pm
I use this. I put potatoes on the bottom rack. I use the top two for shopping bags, but you can use for other fruits/vegetables.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/n.....ntent

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 3:57 pm
I have two plastic bins that I keep in cabinet under kitchen sink, one for onions and garlic, one for potatoes.

I keep avocadoes in a tall glass jar on the counter until they are soft, at which point I transfer them to the shelf in the fridge. Other fruit and veggies get refrigerated, otherwise they will go soft and bad faster.

Bananas go in a basket on the counter. If they don't get eaten before overripe (which is not often, we have banana eaters here) I freeze them for acai bowls or banana bread.

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn’t know that onions are supposed to be kept in the dark! Thanks
Other produce I have is avocados and tangerines which I thought were supposed to be left out the refrigerator.

Yes onions and garlic and the equivalent are best stored in a cool dark place. So not close to the dishwasher or stove but any drawer would do.

Tangerines and other citrus fruits should be stored in the refrigerator because they last longer and are more refreshing cold.

If your avocado is ripe you can store it in the refrigerator to help it last longer until you use it. However many people buy avocados which need to be left out to ripen.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 5:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are the baskets inside cabinets?

Sort of. We had the baskets made. Dh mounted them on drawer slides and built the cabinet.

We are about to redo our kitchen — this time we had the baskets made and the (custom) cabinet company is building the cabinet.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 5:54 pm
You can stack these in a cabinet under the sink. Easy to keep the small part opened, so the vegetables have air to breathe.
https://www.amazon.com/LocknLo.....r=8-3

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 10 2023, 4:02 am
Thanks everyone! Im going to get some storage baskets and empty out a cabinet to put them in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics