Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Optometrist - complt Eval - prism/vision/processing, NY area
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 9:15 pm
Hi!
I'm looking for an ophthalmologist who does prism or something like that for a child with general difficulties.
2 years ago we had seen Dr. Rubin and were not helped by him. He recommended prism for another child of ours. But it has not helped at all. for this particular child he said she does not need prism.
But I'd like to give it another try with someone else.
My child is due for and eye exam and I'd like to do a general comprehensive eye and vision workup.

if it's not to far from Monroe it's a plus but not a must.
Dr. Alexander is at the moment not an option.

Thank you so much!

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:24 pm
Dr. Montenare in Wyckoff, NJ was just recommended to me for a second opinion, but I didn't go to him yet. I took my son to Dr, Rubin last year but my son is having a hard time wearing the prism glasses prescribed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:27 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
Dr. Montenare in Wyckoff, NJ was just recommended to me for a second opinion, but I didn't go to him yet. I took my son to Dr, Rubin last year but my son is having a hard time wearing the prism glasses prescribed.

What is his specialty?

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is his specialty?

From what I understand, similar to Dr. Rubin. Dr. Nolan from Refuah, who trained under Dr. Alexander recommends him. (Dr. Nolan only sees Refuah patients)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 8:23 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
From what I understand, similar to Dr. Rubin. Dr. Nolan from Refuah, who trained under Dr. Alexander recommends him. (Dr. Nolan only sees Refuah patients)

Dr. Montenare trained under Dr. Alexander too?
Does he do prism or vision therapy or both?

Could you please come back and lmk when you have been there? Thank you.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dr. Montenare trained under Dr. Alexander too?
Does he do prism or vision therapy or both?

Could you please come back and lmk when you have been there? Thank you.

1. I don't think so
2. Both

I'll try to have in mind to update.

This is his website https://www.montenare.com/

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Mar 11 2023, 9:14 pm
If you need more names, here's a suggestion. Change Ophthalmologist to Ophthal and you should have enough letters to put in location. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
If you need more names, here's a suggestion. Change Ophthalmologist to Ophthal and you should have enough letters to put in location. Hatzlacha!

brilliant! thanks.
I'm not too savy when it comes to these things. Smile

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:07 am
Dr. Gelfond in Staten Island. You can also see her through insurance at Ezra medical. Not 100% sure she does prisms but she trained in developmental optometry, does thorough educational and developmental exams as well as vision therapy.

BTW optometrists are a better option for developmental vision issues than ophthalmologists. Opthalmologists are trained surgeons more familiar with eye muscle issues. You want a developmental optometrist with fcovd certification.

Dr. Leonard Press in Lakewood

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:20 am
I like Dr. Charlop at ODA in Williamsburg (optometrist, not ophthalmologist, but she dealt with processing/therapy/prism)
But if you want specifically ophthalmologist, Dr. Brian Campolattaro was recommended to me for similar by someone I respect. Located in midtown Manhattan.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:46 am
SUNY College of Optometry
They take insurance

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:54 am
Dr. Nayor in Westchester helped my son. He was seeing double when he read and prisms helped that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:25 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Dr. Gelfond in Staten Island. You can also see her through insurance at Ezra medical. Not 100% sure she does prisms but she trained in developmental optometry, does thorough educational and developmental exams as well as vision therapy.

BTW optometrists are a better option for developmental vision issues than ophthalmologists. Opthalmologists are trained surgeons more familiar with eye muscle issues. You want a developmental optometrist with fcovd certification.

You are absolutely right. I changed the title. I wrote this post in a rush after being frustrated with my kid not seeing/noticing something she was looking for and looking straight at it! I sneaked away for a min in that busy time becuase there is no better time to do something then now. Eh?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:29 am
amother OP wrote:
brilliant! thanks.
I'm not too savy when it comes to these things. Smile

Fortunately for you, imas will assume you're in NY and answer.
Sometimes annoying for the rest of us but I'll remember this post and think kindly going forward. Smile

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:30 am
amother OP wrote:
You are absolutely right. I changed the title. I wrote this post in a rush after being frustrated with my kid not seeing/noticing something she was looking for and looking straight at it! I sneaked away for a min in that busy time becuase there is no better time to do something then now. Eh?

You did it! Hooray
And interesting about the optom vs. ophthal. I learned something.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:35 am
amother OP wrote:
We really like Dr gelfond. Good luck!

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 8:37 am
amother Raspberry wrote:

Small update: My husband took my son recently and got a new prescription-not prism, but supposed to help for focusing.

My husband found Dr. Montenare to be skilled, thorough and patient in explaining everything. We have a follow up in 6 weeks to see if the new prescription is accomplishing what it's suppose to. I'll try to update following that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 11:31 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Small update: My husband took my son recently and got a new prescription-not prism, but supposed to help for focusing.

My husband found Dr. Montenare to be skilled, thorough and patient in explaining everything. We have a follow up in 6 weeks to see if the new prescription is accomplishing what it's suppose to. I'll try to update following that.

Thanks. I made an appointment for all of my age eligible kids. They each have their different struggles and are due for a checkup. So I figured I might as well....
The staff seemed really sweet.
Going iyh after pesach. We shall see how it goes. GL with your son.

relaxation

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 1:02 pm
Dr Furlan is amazing !

He has a few offices one in boro park one in downtown brooklyn and one in manhattan

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Apr 03 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Glitter wrote:

Between drs Leonard press and monetare? Are they both focused on the same specialties?
I need to take my baby to check for a stigmatism
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics