Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School enforced a filter on devices- Update, need help...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 7:29 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
What are the downsides to an Amazon tablet? Why are they so cheap?

Because they have all kinds of offers for your amazon account, like e-reading (kindle unlimited), music, etc. They figure they'll make plenty of money from kindle owners signing up for those sorts of programs, as well as the ease of shopping on their device. Their apps come already installed on the kindle.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 5:27 am
Just my opinion, it’s great to not get in the habit of watching shows to relax, even documentaries. It’s easy to get addicted and when you run out of “clean” stuff people tend to rationalize less clean stuff. Speaking from experience.

Also, my dh refuses to get a good filter and was michshol our teenage son. I wish we had been forced by our school to get a really good filter long ago.

Please ignore everyone telling you to get a secret device. Please build other habits like reading or talking with friends as a way to unwind. Don’t make mistakes like I did.

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:07 am
amother Diamond wrote:
Just my opinion, it’s great to not get in the habit of watching shows to relax, even documentaries. It’s easy to get addicted and when you run out of “clean” stuff people tend to rationalize less clean stuff. Speaking from experience.

Also, my dh refuses to get a good filter and was michshol our teenage son. I wish we had been forced by our school to get a really good filter long ago.

Please ignore everyone telling you to get a secret device. Please build other habits like reading or talking with friends as a way to unwind. Don’t make mistakes like I did.

I'm not sure how your experience is relevant to OP's situation.

OP had a filter that she was happy with and her kids/DH didn't use her devices.

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 7:26 am
The fact that your school and your Rav has control over what you see on your phone sounds a little 1984 to me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:41 am
amother Diamond wrote:

I read every night its fun. But some nights @11 pm when I dont want to sleep yet Im not going to call my friend to schmooze after a long day of teaching :/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:41 am
this new computer filter blocks EVERYTHING I cant get into any news websites and I wanted to read some articles with my students... im a p3...

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:30 am
I really feel you Op. Where I live they also control and force you to have a filter, they block absolutely everything. The problem I have is we end up lying about the devices we have and end up with no filter, but I want my devices filtered my children are getting older but I don't want to do it the way they want or for them to have access to my devices it's such a dilemma I don't know what to do

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:37 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I really feel you Op. Where I live they also control and force you to have a filter, they block absolutely everything. The problem I have is we end up lying about the devices we have and end up with no filter, but I want my devices filtered my children are getting older but I don't want to do it the way they want or for them to have access to my devices it's such a dilemma I don't know what to do

I want to go back to web chaver I paid for the filtering service on top of it
it just rubs me the wrong way to block out skin and my husband doesnt even touch my laptop. some days I leave it in my school office and it doesnt work at home

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:38 am
Time to send your kid to a different school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:04 am
amother Daphne wrote:
Time to send your kid to a different school.

its march. they sprung this on us in the middle of the year.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:17 am
amother OP wrote:
its march. they sprung this on us in the middle of the year.

I'm sorry OP. This is totally violating civil rights. And modifying a contract mid-term. You cut the checks, you are the customer, and you can say no. They are beholden on your checks, despite feeling like you're beholden to them.

There are some serious boundary issues going on. I hope you can re-establish healthy boundaries with the school.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:25 am
I am so sorry you have to deal with this nonsense. This sounds insane to me. I can't imagine having to deal with this at all. It's awful and over the top controlling. Just wanted to empathize with you OP.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:37 am
amother Crocus wrote:
I'm sorry OP. This is totally violating civil rights. And modifying a contract mid-term. You cut the checks, you are the customer, and you can say no. They are beholden on your checks, despite feeling like you're beholden to them.

There are some serious boundary issues going on. I hope you can re-establish healthy boundaries with the school.

what am I supposed to do. theres no where else to send by me. my DC is happy with his morah and friends.
they require this of the playgroup parents too. the babies there are 2!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:44 am
amother Crocus wrote:

They send your kid home then. Now what?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:46 am
I dont know why I couldnt hve amazon on my phone why did that have to be removed?
I order shampoo and toothpaste

I called the filtering place and theyre like oh do u want the rabbi to call u back? I said im too embarassed and im willing to go somewhere else to have them put amazon back on my phone.

they also disabled the app store. what happens if I need it in the future?

now I feel like im sneaking around. I hate feeling pressured to do stuff.

I sound like such a baby! and not frum! I look like a regular bais yaakov mommy my husband just left yeshiva and is working now we very strongly value daas torah and shemiras einayim but why is amazon such a big deal? my husband doesnt even touch my laptop

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:48 am
amother Aqua wrote:
They send your kid home then. Now what?

As long as we allow bullying and disrespecting boundaries, it will continue.

I don't believe they would just kick kids out if there's really no option but public school, and if they do it will be for a day and you tell them you're cancelling your checks.

If someone came in and told you that for your child to go to school, you need to eat avocados, would you? even if you don't like them? Even if you get plenty of other good fats and very limited bad fats?

This is as silly as them demanding you eat avocados. Dai!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:52 am
amother Crocus wrote:
As long as we allow bullying and disrespecting boundaries, it will continue.

I don't believe they would just kick kids out if there's really no option but public school, and if they do it will be for a day and you tell them you're cancelling your checks.

If someone came in and told you that for your child to go to school, you need to eat avocados, would you? even if you don't like them? Even if you get plenty of other good fats and very limited bad fats?

This is as silly as them demanding you eat avocados. Dai!

Schools have the power now. As long as the majority of the school body goes along with this or believes it's the right way then the individuals are stuck.

Not like avocados because they twist erlichkeit into the argument.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Schools have the power now. As long as the majority of the school body goes along with this or believes it's the right way then the individuals are stuck.

Not like avocados because they twist erlichkeit into the argument.

guess what, the rich people are always doing what they want anyways. Same with the gezhe families.

They just pretend.

It's galus. Up is down and down is up. The schools don't actually have the power, even though it very much feels that way.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:51 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
guess what, the rich people are always doing what they want anyways. Same with the gezhe families.

They just pretend.

It's galus. Up is down and down is up. The schools don't actually have the power, even though it very much feels that way.

What does gezhe mean?
As long as they pretend the poor ones need to toe the line.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Aqua wrote:

What does gezhe mean?
As long as they pretend the poor ones need to toe the line.

The ones with pedigree/uber yichus.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics