Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School enforced a filter on devices- Update, need help...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

miracle

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:30 pm
DrMom wrote:
To me, this sounds controlling in the extreme. But I am not from this community.

Can you just get a laptop or tablet separate from your phone and install web chaver on it?

I agree
there must be a way around it within the filter guidelines

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:38 pm
I had to get gentech on my phone due to the school rule. I have amazon, disney plus, daily wire, apple podcast, amazon music, safari, target . .. . on my phone without a problem

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:55 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I really feel you Op. Where I live they also control and force you to have a filter, they block absolutely everything. The problem I have is we end up lying about the devices we have and end up with no filter, but I want my devices filtered my children are getting older but I don't want to do it the way they want or for them to have access to my devices it's such a dilemma I don't know what to do

I dont understand the dilemma. Why don't you yourself get a filter that you're comfortable with and place them onto your devices?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
what am I supposed to do. theres no where else to send by me. my DC is happy with his morah and friends.
they require this of the playgroup parents too. the babies there are 2!

Unfortunately you do what many others are doing - lie. We aren't doing it by choice, we are being forced into situations where we have no other choice.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:58 pm
Once these kids become old enough to know and realize that their parents are lying, what does that teach these children?

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Once these kids become old enough to know and realize that their parents are lying, what does that teach these children?

That you can't always trust authority to be the arbiter of boundaries.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:02 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
That you can't always trust authority to be the arbiter of boundaries.
I dont get that. But the parents are sending to a school who are asking the parents and students to do xyz. If you dont agree with those boundaries, send elsewhere.
I think teaching your children that it is ok to lie if you dont agree with x rule, is nnot a good way to raise children. But ok.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:09 pm
amother Sage wrote:

I strongly dislike this argument while I agree kids shouldn’t see parents lying these rules dont make sense, you can’t expect parents to follow strict guidelines they don’t agree with in order to send their kids to a great yeshivah. I see all the rich parents doing whatever they feel like doing while the rest have to follow every word. Schools are dishonest and not always fair whether we like it or not so why should we play by their rules … I really hate schools that control parents like this

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:15 pm
I didn't know people are still so quick to run and do what the school wants. Your child is only 4 for heavens sake. How are they already breathing down your back??
If this would happen to me I'd take the phone back to the filtering place, tell them you need all filters removed because you're giving it up and need to sell it.
Then go to your own filter company where YOU are in control of what gets filtered.
You can all throw tomatoes at me but if this is how the school is behaving you just gotta work your way around it.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:16 pm
OP ask for Amazon back. There's nothing to be ashamed of. The fact is that many times things are available on Amazon that you can't get in stores. Example, last year I struggled with body odor and needed to buy a specialty soap that was only available on Amazon. That soap cured my issues.
Also it's really weird to me that someone would want to monitor the usage of the school's parents. Blocking out filth websites should be enough.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:25 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
I strongly dislike this argument while I agree kids shouldn’t see parents lying these rules dont make sense, you can’t expect parents to follow strict guidelines they don’t agree with in order to send their kids to a great yeshivah. I see all the rich parents doing whatever they feel like doing while the rest have to follow every word. Schools are dishonest and not always fair whether we like it or not so why should we play by their rules … I really hate schools that control parents like this

Im sorry but if you send to a school you by default agree with their rules. Even ones that dont make sense.
And if you dont agree with their rules then its not the school for you and not such a great school.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Im sorry but if you send to a school you by default agree with their rules. Even ones that dont make sense.
And if you dont agree with their rules then its not the school for you and not such a great school.

And when the schools add or change rules midyear like what happened to op?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:38 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I dont get that. But the parents are sending to a school who are asking the parents and students to do xyz. If you dont agree with those boundaries, send elsewhere.
I think teaching your children that it is ok to lie if you dont agree with x rule, is nnot a good way to raise children. But ok.

This has been explained countless of times here. Sometimes all schools in the neighborhood have similar rules. Sometimes the schools change up rules mid-year. Sometimes they out in rules when your child has been there a number of years and is doing very well there. Etc.

In all cases the school is overreaching. Schools set rules for their students and what happens on school grounds. Parents set standards for themselves and their homes. Schools are not a governing body nor a rabbinical board. I have had conversations with my kids, and they have a full understanding of what's right, what's wrong and how to appropriately go about doing your own thing.

If anything, this gives them life skills. They learn how to appropriately handle situations where people overstep boundaries. There is an appropriate Torahdig way to handle all situations - and an actual hands-on experience is quite educational.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:41 pm
amother Sage wrote:

This change was mid school year and even if it were between school years, if a family is already established in the school, it is not the same as a parent who has never enrolled students there before choosing to do so with this rule in place.

That said, some things are just overstepping and they just can't make you do it. The rich people/donors there who don't want to do it aren't doing it either very likely.

Enough is enough already with the takanas, etc.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:41 pm
amother Sage wrote:

I accept all the rules that applies to the kids - even if I disagree with them. That's their domain. What I do in my home, my domain, is my responsibility. They do not get to make rules for the home. We have a Torah and our personal Rav for that. When I send my kids to a school, I have no obligation to accept another Rav upon myself.

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 4:54 pm
Vote
with
your
feet

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 5:01 pm
sequoia wrote:
Vote
with
your
feet

Gotta find an acceptable place to move those feet to. Often it means uprooting your well settled children, or to a school with a very different hashkafah overall. Just because we take issues with a few rules, doesn't mean we want a totally different hashkafah.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:19 am
amother Quince wrote:
I had to get gentech on my phone due to the school rule. I have amazon, disney plus, daily wire, apple podcast, amazon music, safari, target . .. . on my phone without a problem

they put gentech on my computer. I really dont like that it blocks out faces its stupid. sorry. my husband never touches my computer.

on my phone they didnt put gentech, the person put a code in and took off apps and I need to go to him or the tag office for them to put the code in to put back apps I want. its embarassing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:22 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
OP ask for Amazon back. There's nothing to be ashamed of. The fact is that many times things are available on Amazon that you can't get in stores. Example, last year I struggled with body odor and needed to buy a specialty soap that was only available on Amazon. That soap cured my issues.
Also it's really weird to me that someone would want to monitor the usage of the school's parents. Blocking out filth websites should be enough.

he said that amazon has the worst type of znus and pritzus out there and the hanhala specifically asked for it to be removed.

its more of an inconvenience now... I ran out of cleaning supplies so I was gonna order from the amazon app... but I dont have it anymore. so I made a note on my phone to order it from my laptop tomorrow at work when im connected to wifi.... just a bit annoying

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:23 am
Op, its your choice. Why do you want to keep your son in that school? At 4 he hasnt made long term friends yet.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics