Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School enforced a filter on devices- Update, need help...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:36 am
amother Sage wrote:
I dont get that. But the parents are sending to a school who are asking the parents and students to do xyz. If you dont agree with those boundaries, send elsewhere.
I think teaching your children that it is ok to lie if you dont agree with x rule, is nnot a good way to raise children. But ok.

I think you shouldn’t speak of things you know nothing about

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:38 am
amother Tulip wrote:
Op, its your choice. Why do you want to keep your son in that school? At 4 he hasnt made long term friends yet.

Its the only school in my area that I would send to. The other schools have non jewish morahs and more modern families. I have no other options
Were moving in september

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:42 am
amother OP wrote:
he said that amazon has the worst type of znus and pritzus out there and the hanhala specifically asked for it to be removed.

its more of an inconvenience now... I ran out of cleaning supplies so I was gonna order from the amazon app... but I dont have it anymore. so I made a note on my phone to order it from my laptop tomorrow at work when im connected to wifi.... just a bit annoying

It's like they don't even know what it is... Sorry

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:42 am
amother OP wrote:
Its the only school in my area that I would send to. The other schools have non jewish morahs and more modern families. I have no other options
Were moving in september

So then this is temporary.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:45 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
It's like they don't even know what it is... Sorry

What makes you say that Amazon doesnt have Un-Tzniusdik pics and items?

I guess the school wants the same policy for all aged students homes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:45 am
amother Tulip wrote:
So then this is temporary.

Its another 5months bc of summer too
Its not fair to spring this on mid year

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:48 am
amother Tulip wrote:
What makes you say that Amazon doesnt have Un-Tzniusdik pics and items?

I guess the school wants the same policy for all aged students homes.

I'm sure it exists but is it really "the worst kind?" For most frum families it's a more convenient Walmart.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:51 am
This is beyond extreme, I am a fan of a school requiring a filter for any device that kids have access to but what filter or what apps is not their business, especially when it’s something pareve like amazon. For a school to say you can’t shop on Amazon is just beyond controlling. Your choices are as others said, quietly get another device and put on your own filter, tell them you can’t do it and risk the consequences, or find another school. If you are moving next year I wouldn’t make waves and would just do my own thing quietly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:28 am
Im really angry. My laptop has been terrible this week so many websites are blocked. I wanted to show a video on youtube to a student of something. Its blocked. I write to the chat if they can unblock a news website.

they tell me "Based on your association rules I cannot make that change on your account over the email or chat because it unblocks inappropriate content. Please call us so that we can request authorization from your association."

Now what??

GLUE

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:33 am
See if you can find an independent contractor to get rid of the whole filter, then put your own filter back on.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Im really angry. My laptop has been terrible this week so many websites are blocked. I wanted to show a video on youtube to a student of something. Its blocked. I write to the chat if they can unblock a news website.

they tell me "Based on your association rules I cannot make that change on your account over the email or chat because it unblocks inappropriate content. Please call us so that we can request authorization from your association."

Now what??

Get a new device. Don't think you'd want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to explain to your school why you need stuff. Nor do you want to be on their list as a possible troublemaker. Just leave this as is for them to assume you're abiding and just go do your own thing on the side.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:41 am
GLUE wrote:
See if you can find an independent contractor to get rid of the whole filter, then put your own filter back on.

they said I have to call them up to get permission for my "association" to take it off
and my "association" is listed as "flatbush" -(I dont live in flatbush so idk if flatbush=TAG?)

This is pathetic. I didnt know id have to get permission to delete my account. Its my computer!

Any advice??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:42 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Get a new device. Don't think you'd want to go down the rabbit hole of trying to explain to your school why you need stuff. Nor do you want to be on their list as a possible troublemaker. Just leave this as is for them to assume you're abiding and just go do your own thing on the side.

I am not spending over 1k on a new mac laptop. I need it for work and documentation.
Im leaving this school in june

GLUE

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:47 am
amother OP wrote:
they said I have to call them up to get permission for my "association" to take it off
and my "association" is listed as "flatbush" -(I dont live in flatbush so idk if flatbush=TAG?)

This is pathetic. I didnt know id have to get permission to delete my account. Its my computer!

Any advice??

Can you find anyone not with the chat\filter place that can take it off.

If it is Flatbush Tag call them up and tell the Tag office you need to change your filter and see what they say.

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:49 am
If the filter is interfering with your ability to use your laptop for work, demand that they remove the filter.

Tell them that the filter is interfering with your parnassa, and if they expect you to pay tuition, they will remove it immediately.

Edited for typos

Last edited by DrMom on Thu, Mar 16 2023, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:49 am
Call the school and tell them that the filter is making it difficult/impossible to work. It is a work device.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 11:58 am
Maybe try calling a tag office in another location. My school also has a list they give tag that they don't allow. I called a tag office in another country to where I live and told them I want everything open aside from actual p-rn. The woman sounded a bit taken aback but she did it and I had my old phone back and noone had to know anything.
We also did the same mistake with our laptop the first time the school asked but I called up the actual company, not tag, the next day and told them I need it off, and they took it off.
Another time I mistakely paid with a debit card that had no funds on it. It was an honest mistake, they kept sending me emails to update the payment card which I never did and the filter never got installed.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 12:08 pm
Can you go back to the school and tell them the filter they put on is blocking things and research you need for work or family research or medical etc. and then have one device you have control over.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 1:00 pm
GLUE wrote:
Can you find anyone not with the chat\filter place that can take it off.

If it is Flatbush Tag call them up and tell the Tag office you need to change your filter and see what they say.

I spoke to tag flatbush the woman seemed upset I wanted to get it off. She said I have to wait until next week to speak to the liaison from TAG that came to my DC school. The liaison is going to be pushy and ask me why I dont want it anymore! im 26 years old. Why do I have to ask a grown man and organazation to take it off? is this what my yeshivish yiddishkeit is going to look like from now on? such controlling behavior

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 16 2023, 1:01 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Maybe try calling a tag office in another location. My school also has a list they give tag that they don't allow. I called a tag office in another country to where I live and told them I want everything open aside from actual p-rn. The woman sounded a bit taken aback but she did it and I had my old phone back and noone had to know anything.
We also did the same mistake with our laptop the first time the school asked but I called up the actual company, not tag, the next day and told them I need it off, and they took it off.
Another time I mistakely paid with a debit card that had no funds on it. It was an honest mistake, they kept sending me emails to update the payment card which I never did and the filter never got installed.

I have two issues.... my phone and laptop. My phone TAG has the pin and they wont give it to my husband the code to put amazon back on. Im going to my parents for shabbos I was going to call TAG from their town to see if they can do the pin for me on my phone. The main issue is my laptop tho

My other issue is my laptop with the filter. I spoke to TAG she told me in order to delete the laptop filter, I have to get permission from the liaison to do it.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics