Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What's your favorite book for y"t reading?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:35 am
Best two non Jewish books I’ve read: midnight In Chernobyl by Adam higgisbotham (or something like that)
Hitters children (idk remember author)
Best two Jewish books
Biography of Reb Shlomo Freifeld and biography of Reb Mendel Kaplan

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:39 am
Sholom M Rubashkin’s book is really worth reading!

DVOM

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:01 am
I just finished reading The Two State Delusion by P. O'Malley. Very interesting (and depressing) analysis of the peace process.

Sun in the Morning by MM Kaye. What a book! This is the first in a 3 series autobiography of a woman born in India to British parents at the end of the British Raj. I read all three. Absolutely fascinating. (I've also read her historical fiction set in India during the sepoy mutiny- some of the best books I've ever read. The Far Pavilions and Shadow of the Moon.)

I'm saving the last of Gorge Martin's Game of Thrones books for Pesach. I've really enjoyed the series.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:19 am
Not officially Jewish but my goodness is it Jewish!

"The Matchmaker's Gift" by Lynda Cohen Loigman.

You can thank me later x

(Also "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus)

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:58 am
amother Gray wrote:
Rolling Rabbi.

Inspiring biography of Rabbi Yehuda Simes, became a quadriplegic, father of 9,maintained Emuna, Bitachon, Simchas Hachaim.

Yes! I was going to suggest biographies and that was top of the list.

hodeez

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:06 am
amother Quince wrote:
Favorite frum novels :
Anything by Ruti Kepler
full harvest
This is America

want to get new Yechiel Spero book. I’m reading Rabbi Fishel Schacter book and it’s hilarious and very on point.

I didn't know rav shechter had a book! What's the title I'm totally gonna get it

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:08 am
hodeez wrote:
I didn't know rav shechter had a book! What's the title I'm totally gonna get it

https://inside.artscroll.com/r.....hter/

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:14 am
amother Puce wrote:
Not officially Jewish but my goodness is it Jewish!

"The Matchmaker's Gift" by Lynda Cohen Loigman.

You can thank me later x

(Also "Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus)

This book was SO CUTE and I smiled the whole way through. It does not paint old time shaddchanim in a positive light, but omg it was cute. I sent it to my MIL who is not frum and loves to read holocaust books, like that's the only thing she reads. And she loved it too.

I'm in the middle of a book that I can not stop thinking about, but major trigger warning because it deals with abortions. Looking for Jane.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:17 am
hodeez wrote:

Same, and I am going to run tonight for it! I'd love something uplifting for YT.

If anyone is looking for a VERY uplifting Jewish book, I HIGHLY recommend Ten Steps to Eternity. https://www.artscroll.com/Book......html

behappy2

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:22 am
Song of redemption by Hoffman
Historical fiction about the churban
Very good book

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:30 am
Mountain Climbers (Malky Feig) trues stories (disclaimer - they do make my cry)

hodeez

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:39 am
PinkFridge wrote:
https://inside.artscroll.com/rabbi-fishel-schachter/

Yay I'm so excited! Thank you imamother people 💜

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:58 am
hodeez wrote:

Just came out a few weeks ago ! I think it’s called “did this ever happen to you ?” Something like that. It should be at the front of any Judaica store since it’s a new release Smile

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:44 am
watergirl wrote:
This book was SO CUTE and I smiled the whole way through. It does not paint old time shaddchanim in a positive light, but omg it was cute. I sent it to my MIL who is not frum and loves to read holocaust books, like that's the only thing she reads. And she loved it too.

Watergirl, this makes me so happy!!! You're the only other person I "know" who's read it and I love that you agree how great it is!!!!

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:01 am
Someone I know just said that she usually can't read gedolim biographies, but the rav Chaim book was fascinating and she couldn't put it down

amother
Quince

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:15 am
watergirl wrote:
Same, and I am going to run tonight for it! I'd love something uplifting for YT.

If anyone is looking for a VERY uplifting Jewish book, I HIGHLY recommend Ten Steps to Eternity. https://www.artscroll.com/Book......html

I read ten steps to eternity recently and loved it too!
I learned so much as well as was inspired

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:43 am
Last Pesach we had an amazing book here, the last slave by y. kormornick. Even those of us who do not usually enjoy novels were fighting over it. Great perspective on golus mitzrayim.

ProudMommy3

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:10 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Last Pesach we had an amazing book here, the last slave by y. kormornick. Even those of us who do not usually enjoy novels were fighting over it. Great perspective on golus mitzrayim.

Thank you! I just ordered & can't wait!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:32 pm
hodeez wrote:
Also reb dovid feinsteins biography is incredible,in the middle of it now

I enjoyed this so much. When I was done, I pulled out the biography I have about R' Moshe, and read that too (almost finished). I so enjoyed reading both within a short frame of time. Like father, like son. Such great people (and I was privileged to see R' Dovid many times.)

Librarian

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:29 pm
[quote="amother OP"]Thank you everyone. How about autobiographies? Any suggestions?

Or historical?

Winston Churchill by Andrew Roberts. The definitive Churchill biography, written to portray how his life experiences prepared him to be the right man at the right time during WW2. Amazing!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room