Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Sem recommendations needed!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 7:49 pm
Was wondering if anyone here could recommend a sem (ideally in Israel) for a girl I know and am having trouble thinking of one for

She is a BT (went to goyische schools, reform family) so although she has high knowledge of halacha her hebrew and learning abilities are a low level. However, she’s 18 and is unsure that a BT sem where the ladies might be just starting their journeys and will be much older than her would be the right place. Hashkafically she’s fairly haredi/yeshivish and I wouldn’t say she’s on a journey anymore really, she has been frum at the level she is for a few years now.

Personality wise she’s very clever and academic, has offers from very top colleges, but a little shy and probably needs somewhere not too cliquey

Any ideas?

realtalk

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 8:01 pm
Shearim might be a good fit. Majority of girls there are a bit more solid, doesnt cater so much to people still needing to be inspired like neve does. We used to joke that Shearim is Neve’s chereidi cousin. The biggest hurdle would be that they typically don’t accept girls straight out of highschool but they’ve definitely made exceptions in the past.

Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions or want more info, I went there on and off for years basically up till covid. Still keep in touch with some of the Rebbetzins and admins

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sun, Mar 12 2023, 10:04 pm
A place like Darchei Binah might work for her. I believe it's a little less text-based and more hashkafa than some other seminaries, and with the broad background of the girls there she won't feel out of place.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Nasturtium wrote:
A place like Darchei Binah might work for her. I believe it's a little less text-based and more hashkafa than some other seminaries, and with the broad background of the girls there she won't feel out of place.

Do you know what kind of atmosphere it has? Is it warm? What are the girls typically like there? I have heard that a lot are not very serious and quite into partying, would you say that’s accurate?

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:05 pm
Yeah this was me. I went to Darchei Binah.
It was definitely text based enough that I felt challenged, but for the BY girls coming in, it wasnt considered too text based for them.
All the teachers were chareidi, husbands in kollel. That ideal was pushed.

Girls went into partying, some girls (maybe 10) had boyfriends in mercaz, centers, bais...

Rabbi kurland has a rule of no being in town past a certain time. I also had no interest in that. My parents were paying thousands for me to go to seminary, I wasnt going to waste my time there.

For the growing girls coming from modern orthodox homes, its a strong chevra of girls who want to be challenged and grow in their hashkafa. My chevra was quite serious. We all married learning boys.

Very warm staff. I keep in touch with several teachers through email- they're always happy to hear from me, pics of my kids and family. When I go to e"y I take my kids to visit the rebbeim for brachos.

happy to answer any of your questions.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:42 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
Yeah this was me. I went to Darchei Binah.
It was definitely text based enough that I felt challenged, but for the BY girls coming in, it wasnt considered too text based for them.
All the teachers were chareidi, husbands in kollel. That ideal was pushed.

Girls went into partying, some girls (maybe 10) had boyfriends in mercaz, centers, bais...

Rabbi kurland has a rule of no being in town past a certain time. I also had no interest in that. My parents were paying thousands for me to go to seminary, I wasnt going to waste my time there.

For the growing girls coming from modern orthodox homes, its a strong chevra of girls who want to be challenged and grow in their hashkafa. My chevra was quite serious. We all married learning boys.

Very warm staff. I keep in touch with several teachers through email- they're always happy to hear from me, pics of my kids and family. When I go to e"y I take my kids to visit the rebbeim for brachos.

happy to answer any of your questions.

Thanks so much for the details, it sounds great!

Do you know if they would by any chance allow her to go just for a few months in the summer? She is a bit stuck as she has offers from very top colleges that won’t let her defer for a whole year but are really too top to completely turn down

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you know if they would by any chance allow her to go just for a few months in the summer? She is a bit stuck as she has offers from very top colleges that won’t let her defer for a whole year but are really too top to completely turn down

No, theyre not open in the summer. Its a regular seminary

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:50 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
No, theyre not open in the summer. Its a regular seminary

Thought that would be the case, thanks for the details!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:52 pm
realtalk wrote:
Shearim might be a good fit. Majority of girls there are a bit more solid, doesnt cater so much to people still needing to be inspired like neve does. We used to joke that Shearim is Neve’s chereidi cousin. The biggest hurdle would be that they typically don’t accept girls straight out of highschool but they’ve definitely made exceptions in the past.

Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions or want more info, I went there on and off for years basically up till covid. Still keep in touch with some of the Rebbetzins and admins

What kind of atmosphere is it? Warm? Do you think it would work with her age or would she be totally the odd one out?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

If she can't commit to a full academic year, then it's a waste of time to look into mainstream seminaries for girls her age. Lahav is the only one that's a half year, so you could try that if the dates would work for her. Otherwise, the only places open in the summer are the BT programs - Shearim, Midreshet Rachel, Neve. She would be among the youngest, but if that's the only time she can go, it's definitely better than nothing.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:17 pm
Can she have a gap year through her college?
I think Shearim is older women. Neve is younger (as I remember), though I think they only accept from age 19.
I never heard of Darchei Bina being a party school. They don’t have as strict of rules as your standard BY seminary, but are every bit as serious.

realtalk

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 5:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
What kind of atmosphere is it? Warm? Do you think it would work with her age or would she be totally the odd one out?

They have a mix of ages. Typically skews younger in the summer but for the year the majority are 21-23 as in post college age even though there typically tons out of that range both younger and older. I’d say it’s warm. They’re very into each girl picking a mentor so you have a point person for questions and staff can make sure no one is falling through the cracks.

I saw someone recommend Neve. I’d highly NOT recommend neve for someone serious in the summer. A lot of not serious girls get dropped off there straight from kiruv trips and are not at all serious.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:27 pm
realtalk wrote:
They have a mix of ages. Typically skews younger in the summer but for the year the majority are 21-23 as in post college age even though there typically tons out of that range both younger and older. I’d say it’s warm. They’re very into each girl picking a mentor so you have a point person for questions and staff can make sure no one is falling through the cracks.

I saw someone recommend Neve. I’d highly NOT recommend neve for someone serious in the summer. A lot of not serious girls get dropped off there straight from kiruv trips and are not at all serious.

Thanks! Sounds like shearim will be the best choice for her. What is har nof like? Any idea how shearim compares to midreshet rachel?

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 6:47 pm
Ateres Naava!

Ateres Naava is not in Isreal but it has had a multiple 18 year old Baal Teshuvahs and the seminary was made for those whose Halacha and Hebrew is at a low level, which would make it a perfect fit!

realtalk

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 7:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Sounds like shearim will be the best choice for her. What is har nof like? Any idea how shearim compares to midreshet rachel?

Har Nof is an Anglo chereidi/hardal neighborhood. Tons of seminaries and yeshivas. Not so close to center of Jerusalem or Kosel but has decent bus routes.

Shearim is more right wing than midreshet rachel. Other than that, they have pretty similar curriculums in terms of amount of text and types of classes for the middle levels. Shearim’s highest level is higher (BY level text) and Midreshet Rachel’s lowest level is lower (very inspirational, beginner type classes.)

Both send have their apartment dorms in Har Nof but mrc is in Kiryas Moshe and the girls commute

realtalk

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 7:39 pm
Also not sure if finances are an issue but shearim only provides lunch with tuition. The girls are on their own for breakfast and dinner but there are full kitchens in the dorms. Not sure what the setup is at midreshet rachel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:17 pm
realtalk wrote:
Har Nof is an Anglo chereidi/hardal neighborhood. Tons of seminaries and yeshivas. Not so close to center of Jerusalem or Kosel but has decent bus routes.

Shearim is more right wing than midreshet rachel. Other than that, they have pretty similar curriculums in terms of amount of text and types of classes for the middle levels. Shearim’s highest level is higher (BY level text) and Midreshet Rachel’s lowest level is lower (very inspirational, beginner type classes.)

Both send have their apartment dorms in Har Nof but mrc is in Kiryas Moshe and the girls commute

Thanks, all great to know! I’ll pass all that on to her, sounds like shearim will be definitely best for her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info