Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Boro Park - how do people do it?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 6:24 am
imaima wrote:
I do the same with babies. Who needs an outfit at home if it’s just family?

You put tights on your male babies in the house instead of pants?

You put tights over your babies' clothes to protect them from getting dirty?

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:25 am
Reality wrote:
The poor should walk around in holey rags? That will make you feel better?

The people who can't afford, buy 2 outfits for their kids and constantly wash. They are super meticulous about their laundry and work really hard to get out every stain.

There are certain things in chassidish culture I have never seen anywhere else. I don't think they realize it is any different than anyone else.

First of all, many mothers feed their children until a very old age. Many will also feed all siblings from the same bowl and spoon. This keeps their clothes clean and cuts down on housework. I don't agree with it personally but I have witnessed first hand, countless times, mothers feeding six year old children, kids even older, who knows.

When their babies swim/crawl, regardless if they are boys or girls, they put tights over their clothes to keep them from getting stained. I've also seen mothers put only tights and a onesie on their babies, again regardless if boys or girls, in the house and only dress in real clothes in public, to keep their outfits pristine.

In general, they value keeping their children looking perfect and matching. So they spend a lot of effort maintaining it. There is no magic secret!

In our family we buy special bubble wrap to protect our kids' clothing. It's worn at all times, except when they're out and about prancing on 13th Ave.

We also have a special plate with 3 spoons attached to it, so I can feed all the younger kids at once.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:21 am
amother Poppy wrote:
In our family we buy special bubble wrap to protect our kids' clothing. It's worn at all times, except when they're out and about prancing on 13th Ave.

We also have a special plate with 3 spoons attached to it, so I can feed all the younger kids at once.

People won’t realize you’re being sarcastic! Can't Believe It

I mean, what’s up with that? Feeding kids out of one plate??
Cuz some people do it doesn’t mean it’s a bp thing.
I actually try to prevent my kids sharing germs with each other...

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 9:34 am
amother Midnight wrote:

When my kids were younger and the weather was nice I would prepare supper in a big plate and sit out with the kids and they ate so nicely and I had zero mess and getting kids to eat. Lots of my neighbors did the same it’s convenient

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 10:23 am
amother Midnight wrote:

If they won't, that's fine. You can't spend your time worrying about what random people think of you/BP.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 10:25 am
amother Midnight wrote:

I actually know someone who feeds her kids till like 6 cuz she doesn't want them to get dirty. I don't think it's typical. But I do hear reality's points, you'd probably find it more here then in places where looks aren't that important. So no, I don't think most people feed till 6 but higher age then most places.

Personally, I've done baby led weaning so my kids are self feeding really early - but yeah boy the mess!

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 12:16 pm
I don’t think you have to spend money to look good. You just have to be clean and neat.
Wig done, makeup, good fitting coat and stylish shoes.
Clean stroller, clean kids, neat hair and well fitting clothes. Also it makes a difference if the clothes were ironed or not, You can see the difference in the boys pants and girls skirts. Ad a matching hair accessory and your good to go.

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Poppy wrote:

I loved my chassidish neighbors. They were some of the nicest people I have ever met. I am the first one to defend BP and chassidim from mockery and hate.

But the examples I gave are what a lot of chassidish women do to keep their children pristine looking.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:42 pm
I live and grew up in bp and the first time I saw a woman feed children above 3 was in Eretz Yisrael.
I honestly thought it was something ashkenazim picked up from the surrounding Middle Eastern culture.
as for looking put together, as soon as you dont dress sporty or very casual, you look put together....
in fact, at 5 pm when hordes of working staff leave any major hospital, it almost looks like people are prancing home in pajamas.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:45 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
I actually know someone who feeds her kids till like 6 cuz she doesn't want them to get dirty. I don't think it's typical. But I do hear reality's points, you'd probably find it more here then in places where looks aren't that important. So no, I don't think most people feed till 6 but higher age then most places.

Personally, I've done baby led weaning so my kids are self feeding really early - but yeah boy the mess!

I’m chasidish and my kids eat alone from aged 12 months- cereal and milk, finger foods, you name it!! I never fed a kid past a year old.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:48 pm
I guess different strokes but I don't think the women of BP look particularly stylish. They look very matronly and dowdy to me.

I also don't think children in matching clothing is high class - just seems weird to me as well.

It is a completely different culture with different aesthetic values but I don't think of it as better or more refined.

Also I am not understanding what is different about not wearing your good clothing in the house when relaxing - adults or children. I am not of this culture and everyone in the family changed into casual clothing that could be easily washed and also generally more comfortable to hang out in.

As for feeding children up to the age of 6 so they don't get dirty - how do they learn to eat nicely when their mother isn't there feeding them. Why not just teach them to use a napkin or even a bib when younger.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:50 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
I guess different strokes but I don't think the women of BP look particularly stylish. They look very matronly and dowdy to me.

I also don't think children in matching clothing is high class - just seems weird to me as well.

It is a completely different culture with different aesthetic values but I don't think of it as better or more refined.

Also I am not understanding what is different about not wearing your good clothing in the house when relaxing - adults or children. I am not of this culture and everyone in the family changed into casual clothing that could be easily washed and also generally more comfortable to hang out in.

As for feeding children up to the age of 6 so they don't get dirty - how do they learn to eat nicely when their mother isn't there feeding them. Why not just teach them to use a napkin or even a bib when younger.

To each their own… matching clothes for kids is definitely neater looking. Many women in BP do look pretty trendy.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Daylily wrote:

Why?!? Why do people start these rumors based off one controlling person they met? So she has issues, she would have the same issues regardless of where she lived or what religion she practices.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:03 pm
amother cornflower wrote:

gullibility at its best.

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Why?!? Why do people start these rumors based off one controlling person they met? So she has issues, she would have the same issues regardless of where she lived or what religion she practices.

It's not rumors. I lived in a building with women with many kids in small apartments. This is what they did. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:15 pm
Reality wrote:
It's not rumors. I lived in a building with women with many kids in small apartments. This is what they did. I'm sure they aren't the only ones.

Why do you think they did it because they wanted the kids to stay clean?
If the kids were playing outside and they came to feed the kids it’s way easier to come with one big plate and feed everyone.
The kids eat better outside and she feeds all the kids while they are playing even the 6 year old.
I’m sure when they eat at home they all sit at their place with their own plates and eat by themselves.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:22 pm
Reality wrote:

When people live across the ocean, their sense of reality about USA sometimes gets distorted.

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:25 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Why do you think they did it because they wanted the kids to stay clean?
If the kids were playing outside and they came to feed the kids it’s way easier to come with one big plate and feed everyone.
The kids eat better outside and she feeds all the kids while they are playing even the 6 year old.
I’m sure when they eat at home they all sit at their place with their own plates and eat by themselves.

Because they also put bibs on their kids way past the age most American kids would wear them.

Yes, it is cultural. It never dawned on me to serve my kids chicken outside. I would serve my kids inside and then go outside to play. If my kids were eating outside, I'd serve easy finger food the kids can handle themselves.

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:27 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
When people live across the ocean, their sense of reality about USA sometimes gets distorted.

So now it's ok to say nasty things about making aliyah on a totally unrelated thread. I lived in BP for over 20 years. I can't comment?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 5:36 pm
Reality wrote:
So now it's ok to say nasty things about making aliyah on a totally unrelated thread. I lived in BP for over 20 years. I can't comment?

I really think you should leave this thread. You’re making a lot of people believe things that are just not. Really!

For the record my kids do not have Sunday or Monday outfits, they don’t wear bibs, they don’t get fed, they look neat and put together, they match their siblings sometimes, I only go out with make up, normal clothes-no black $100 skirts from S&W, etc. Can you just stop with the stereotypes?
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries