Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Boro Park - how do people do it?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:49 am
Kids don't really match on school days, the girls have uniform and the boys have to wear certain things. How hard is it to own one set of matching for all the kids? Everyone acts like it's 30 outfits. It's 1 or 2 for chol hamoed and sundays.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:51 am
Lots of good responses.

Another point as someone who lived there most of my life: most people don't have huge wardrobes especially for kids. These are large families in small apartments, they usually buy 2 shabbos outfits & maybe 5 for weekday, sometimes less for winter- per child. I'm oftentimes surprised at how much people buy for their kids on this site. Also, some boro park stores like tottini & kiddichic for kids & junees for women are not more expensive than say zara especially considering shells & alterations for high tznius standards.

With shoes also, most kids wear one pair of shoes the entire winter. One of my kids Insists on sneakers from DSW, he's the only one that needs multiple pairs a season.

Generally brand names are not a thing.

Many people don't even own a car. Tuition is way lower. It's really a totally different system.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:58 am
How was OP able to see fancy outfits with winter coats on?

hodeez

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:02 am
I never felt the pressure when I lived in Bp, but that could be because I'm not chassidish.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:03 am
hodeez wrote:
I never felt the pressure when I lived in Bp, but that could be because I'm not chassidish.

I agree. It depends on your individual clic.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:37 am
amother Melon wrote:
How was OP able to see fancy outfits with winter coats on?

The coats themselves are fashionable and most ppl are wearing short so the skirts are usually midi and it’s obvious

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:05 pm
I dont understand.
do you want to see shlumps?

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 12:50 pm
amother Latte wrote:
The coats themselves are fashionable and most ppl are wearing short so the skirts are usually midi and it’s obvious

I havent seen anything but black skirts in a long time.

75% are from S & W, and th average price of a skirt there is $100.

How different and expensive can a black skirt be?

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:05 pm
I think it might be more of a household management thing. Women seem to be careful with what they buy, how items match, how they wash and care for their cloths, some get vetted links on Ali which were shared by friends.
They'll go for sharp and won't necessarily have a lot of pieces, and wash often and carefully.
I know women who are using pristine condition bugaboos from 10 years ago that they keep very well.

YounginBP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:26 pm
There are many children's shoes stores now with shoes for half price
Hopscotch 39
Cheeta 55
Parraquet and raybelle 65

And yes, many have 1-2 Sunday clothes cuz they are in uniforms all week.

I just replaced my coat, I think it was 8 years old. I probably look put together even if I'm my sweatshirt and snood running for milk.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:29 pm
There are alot of amazing balabustas who know how to put themselves and their kids together to always look sharp and classy, they are pros at keeping clothes well-would love some laundry tips from them!

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Here's what we don't do which might help explain things.

We don't support our learning couples…
Our groceries are cheaper

What do your couples do?
How are your groceries cheaper?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:00 pm
We value looking neat and put together. Kids hair are made and no shlumpy dresses. It doesn’t mean we spend our life saving on clothes. Kiddichic and Tottini are the busiest stores in BP.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
What do your couples do?
How are your groceries cheaper?

The men go out to work. Kollel is not a priority

PeanutMama

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:24 pm
My husband and I work and I save to buy clothing for my kids in the cheaper stores when a new season hits. I usually buy 3 pants/bottoms for each and 4 tops/shirts. I never spend more than a hundred bucks. Only 2 kids here.
Who knows what will be in the future.
I haven’t brought anything for myself for a while and don’t need to bh and I don’t think I look outdated.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Latte wrote:

Op obviously didn’t bump into me. LOL

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:13 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I havent seen anything but black skirts in a long time.

75% are from S & W, and th average price of a skirt there is $100.

How different and expensive can a black skirt be?

Interesting. Did you go around doing a survey?

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Having lived in both the pressure in BP is to look put together but you can do that while shopping on aliexpress too. The pressure in five towns is to wear designer clothing and have fancy purses and cars and don't get me started on the mansions. Your average boro park family is living in an apartment. I'm not chassidish btw.

I know it’s not the topic but I just moved to 5 towns and I have to say yes mansions do stand out but there are way more simple houses than fancy ones. And plenty of shabby ones too. Very neighborhood dependent. As far as being an affluent city, at this point it’s exactly the same as all “ in town” places- Lakewood, Brooklyn etc

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:33 pm
So interesting to read this thread because I live in BP for 25 years, and this is how I do it.
I buy end of season sales for the following year in the more expensive stores, and shop in the lesser expensive stores in general (kidichic, junee, clover, etc. )
I guess its all about perspective because when I go to Lakewood I ask the same question as OP, where the standard of living and pressure to conform is WAY WAY WAY higher than Boro Park. (Im a regular in Lakewood and I have siblings there).

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 3:52 pm
hodeez wrote:

No pressure here either.

I’m chassidish
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries