Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Home schooling?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 7:50 pm
I'm wondering if anyone home schools in the Lakewood area?

I plan on moving this summer.

I have been trying for months to get my children into Lakewood schools for next year. It is such an exercise in frustration. Should I plan for what happens if no one accepts my children? Because how dare I move from a too small Brooklyn apartment and pull them out of great schools that actually want them in order to own an actual house with a yard and a driveway? Can't Believe It

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 7:53 pm
Can I ask why Lakewood and Brooklyn are your only options? There's a big huge world out there

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:09 pm
How old are your kids? The grades might be pretty full, they did push in a lot of new families recently. Are you looking for a specific type of school? Maybe we can help you brainstorm more schools.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:27 pm
I really feel bad for you!!! Hatzlacha! I moved here two years ago and can't get my little son into yeshivah now either. Very frustrating 😕

Can you tell us what age your son is as well as what type of school you're looking for. I'll try to help with suggestions etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:31 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
Can I ask why Lakewood and Brooklyn are your only options? There's a big huge world out there

We have a lot of family that already moved to Lakewood. (Almost no one left in Brooklyn.) My husband’s work is in NJ. We wanted to buy a home and the Brooklyn prices were out of our budget. We were B”H able to buy a house near Lakewood.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
How old are your kids? The grades might be pretty full, they did push in a lot of new families recently. Are you looking for a specific type of school? Maybe we can help you brainstorm more schools.

My youngest is 10. Looking for a heimishe Cheder for him. We’re on a bunch of wait lists.

Then I have teens. 1 entering girls high school IY”H. The rest are boys.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:37 pm
Consider Linen-Union- Elizabeth
Consider Edison - highland park
Home school sounds like torture

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:40 pm
Don’t do it. Stay in Brooklyn.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:40 pm
amother Wine wrote:
I really feel bad for you!!! Hatzlacha! I moved here two years ago and can't get my little son into yeshivah now either. Very frustrating 😕

Can you tell us what age your son is as well as what type of school you're looking for. I'll try to help with suggestions etc.

Thank you and Hatzlachah Rabbah to you!

My son is 10. Looking for a heimishe Cheder.

Let’s manifest next year with everyone settled in schools. It will be amazing to be in that situation.

amother
Yolk

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:41 pm
Please don’t look at it as schools not wanting you. It’s literally about the space for a desk. Hatzlacha ! Iyh it will work out .

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:41 pm
amother Wine wrote:

Not even Ohr Hachinuch or Kol Torah??

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
My youngest is 10. Looking for a heimishe Cheder for him. We’re on a bunch of wait lists.

Wow those are hard ages, good luck!! Did you get any of those children into school?

Heimish is a range so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that..

For the 10 year old boy have you tried Ohr Avrohom Chaim, Toras Emes, Dmesek Eliezer? Also Yesodei Hatorah- more chasidish.

Girls high schools are extremely difficult here. Klausenberg is opening a high school here so it may be easier to get into-although it may be too chasidish for you..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:01 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Wow those are hard ages, good luck!! Did you get any of those children into school?

Heimish is a range so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that..

For the 10 year old boy have you tried Ohr Avrohom Chaim, Toras Emes, Dmesek Eliezer? Also Yesodei Hatorah- more chasidish.

Girls high schools are extremely difficult here. Klausenberg is opening a high school here so it may be easier to get into-although it may be too chasidish for you..

Thanks for the ideas.
I did not yet get anyone into school. I tried Dmesek Eliezer and Darchei Avos. I will have to try the others.

My daughter is currently in a litvishe school so that is what we were trying to apply to so far.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.
I did not yet get anyone into school. I tried Dmesek Eliezer and Darchei Avos. I will have to try the others.

My daughter is currently in a litvishe school so that is what we were trying to apply to so far.

You may as well quit trying Darchei Avoseinu. They give off major elitist attitude and don't want to accept anyone.

These other schools I listed are way better than homeschooling in my opinion. Good luck!

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:55 pm
Op, I wish you hatzlacha. But if I was in your place, I would stay in my too small apartment with no yard and keep my kids in great schools. Your other options are to seriously look into homeschooling or open a school yourself.
Sorry but that is the sad reality here.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:59 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
Not even Ohr Hachinuch or Kol Torah??

Thank you for the suggestions but these schools are way too modern. We are heimish/ chasidish with strong values and we don't want to confuse our son.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

For the girl apply to Bnos Bais Yaakov. There’s a bunch of girls there who would otherwise apply to BYBP if they were still in Brooklyn. You can forget about the chassidish or any other schools really.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:03 pm
OP, DO NOT move without having schools for all kids first! Put that on repeat. Don't do it to your kids. It's traumatic as well as irresponsible. Stick it out till you've got schools settled or look elsewhere. But don't move before your kids are placed in schools. Especially as you have older kids/teens.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:09 pm
There is a homeschool coop in lakewood called bnos Sarah. I don't know anything about it.

Chaya123

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:17 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions but these schools are way too modern. We are heimish/ chasidish with strong values and we don't want to confuse our son.

For your son, you can try Vorka and Tiferes Yechiel.
For your high school daughter, you can try Maayan.
hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries