Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Home schooling?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I got an application and will try them now. They are located pretty far from my house though.

Not sure where you’re moving, but I believe they provide transportation to Jackson and Toms River.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:30 pm
keym wrote:
What grade Mesivta boys?
Are you looking for Chassidishe or are you ok with a Litvish place?

There’s newer chassidish mesivtas that might have room- Rosenbaum, Neiman, there’s a new Stolin opening.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:37 pm
amother Black wrote:
There’s newer chassidish mesivtas that might have room- Rosenbaum, Neiman, there’s a new Stolin opening.

Do they all go up to 12th grade?
I was asking OP what grades because I do know some Litvish places that do have a Heimishe presence that might have room in 9th or 10th grade this year (so that's next year's 10th or 11th)

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Hi, can you please tell me more about Dmesek? Parent body, class sizes. What is their chinuch approach? Are they an organized school? I'd like to send my son there.

The classes vary in size as the school had some ups and downs. Like when my sons grade was in kindergarten the school wasn’t functioning so well so they didn’t get a big class, but that year they hired a Menahel (vs just the owner running everything) and things got better. So there are classes with closer to 30, and there’s some with less.

It’s had many ups and downs since but I think we are now on an upward trend bh! The owner was bought out, or something, it’s under new management, they have a Menahel; sgan Menahel, and English principals. They moved into their new location (last year the school was divided into three different locations) and every seems very calm and cohesive.

The parent body crowd is such a nice crowd. A mix of heimish, very yeshivish litvish, and a sprinkling of chasidish.
I would say there’s not many smartphones in the school. (I have one and they gave me a hard time about it when I joined the school but I needed it for work. I know of one other mother in the class that has one. Could be there are others but idk.)

They speak in yiddish and English
Teich into yiddish only
All shabbos tzetlach are yiddish.

They’re getting more organized Smile but it’s more “heimish” in that sense… iykwim.

Sorry to hijack op. I think what someone else said that if u have someone who they know well call for you maybe they’d consider it. Lkwd is the land of protektzia.
If he’s really my sons age (4th grade) there’s totally room! They only have 19. Or maybe it’s 18! 🙈

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:43 pm
keym wrote:
I was asking OP what grades because I do know some Litvish places that do have a Heimishe presence that might have room in 9th or 10th grade this year (so that's next year's 10th or 11th)

I’ll be honest, I don’t know the answer to that. My son is going into 9th and he’s my oldest boy.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:46 pm
keym wrote:

A place like Blum or Ohr Chaim Meir has a heimish/chassidish presence and goes up to 12th grade. Depends on what she’s looking for.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:54 pm
amother Black wrote:
A place like Blum or Ohr Chaim Meir has a heimish/chassidish presence and goes up to 12th grade. Depends on what she’s looking for.

True. Both places are distinctly "Litvish style" but a majority of the boys are sone spectrum of heimishe/Chassidishe though they come from regular Lakewood Litvish schools.

And then there are other mesivtas- even really Litvish that have a few heimishe boys in each class but they may have some openings.
I know Heimishe boys in Krupenias, Pruzansky, Ungarishers, Stern/Klein, Slomowitz, Torah Temima.
I also know some of these yeshivas have 18-24 in some grades and would be open to take another boy or two if they feel he'll be an asset to the shiur.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:57 pm
Adding that I don't usually think a Litvish place is ideal for a Chassidishe/heimishe boy, but OP is talking homeschooling. I'd think a Litvish Mesivta is better for a teenager rather than homeschooling

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:07 pm
You can try oros and aderes too for h.s.
Theyre not too hard to get into either. And there are a nice amount of heimish families there.

And yeh I would suggest bby as a very last resort, for a reg. Heimish family.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:20 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
That will be a real shame, the town needs a hemish girls high school.

and elementary!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:22 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
OP said strong chassidish values. 4 of the 13 girls there have siblings OTD and a couple of others pulled out because their daughters were hearing things they shouldn't know about just yet.

The hanhallah is really nice but I doubt it will be around next year.

As for the poster that suggested Bnos Bais Yaakov, totally off the mark. Assuming OP isn't a "tuna beigel" and she wants her daughter to hold onto those strong chassidish values then BBY and Chedvas are exactly the type of schools OP does not want.

Is this first hand info?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:35 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Is this first hand info?

Yes.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
You can try oros and aderes too for h.s.
Theyre not too hard to get into either. And there are a nice amount of heimish families there.

And yeh I would suggest bby as a very last resort, for a reg. Heimish family.

Oros is easier to get into than Aderes these days. In Aderes (~350 girls) there are only 4 families whose fathers wear shtreimlach.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:43 pm
amother Black wrote:

Again, if OP's family really has strong chassidish values then Ohr Chaim Meir is a joke. OP, please do A LOT of research (off this site) before putting your shtark chassidish son in OCM.

Blum has a nice mix of chassidish/heimish and litvish.

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:15 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Oros is easier to get into than Aderes these days. In Aderes (~350 girls) there are only 4 families whose fathers wear shtreimlach.

Really, are you sure?
there are a few families in my daughter's 9th grade class alone that the father wears a shtreimel..

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:22 pm
amother Indigo wrote:
Try to get someone to push for you. Or more than one person. Most schools won’t look at an older kid unless it’s someone they trust who’s vouching for them.

This this this. I’d be surprised if any school said they had space for an older kid. They’re all full or at least “full” lol. And you are just a random person to them. At least have your rav call on your behalf. They also don’t know if you called 50 schools and will just take whichever says yes, and you aren’t really their type.

I have some friends in Demesek Eliezer and they’re thrilled. Great crowd - my friends are very frum Heimish (neither husband wears a streimel but wear bekeshes, mother doesn’t have a smart phone type … but I think some mothers do but it’s that type).

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Black wrote:

Other mesivta options that are more heimish chassidish are paskesz shemano and berenstein. You have to get ppl to call for you anywhere. Otherwise no one will look at you.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
Really, are you sure?
there are a few families in my daughter's 9th grade class alone that the father wears a shtreimel..

There are for sure more then 4 shtreimel families in aderes and even more in the coming year from what I hear

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:12 am
amother Grape wrote:
My son is in fourth grade in Damesek and they only have 18 kids in the class. Is that the right grade for your ten year old? Or is he in 5th grade?

They told me they are not taking new students for existing grades. I guess they want to keep classes small.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 24 2023, 12:19 am
amother Maroon wrote:
My son is in Tiferes Yechiel, they don't usually give a hard time with acceptance.
Have you tried them?

Yes I tried them. They said they don’t have the class my son is in (kitah hey).
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries