Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
A lesson in the glasses store

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:13 pm
I don't know how inspirational this is but I didn't know what other forum to put it in.

So I walked into the glasses store today with my three little boys. My 8-year old had just gotten his first pair of glasses two weeks ago, and they already broke (no surprises there). Well, one of the earpieces fell off.

So we went back to the store to have it repaired. There was an elderly couple sitting there, and as soon as we walked in, the husband turned and noticed me with the kids. He started talking to me in American -accented Hebrew. Well, I know bageling when I see it, but it always gives me a warm feeling anyway when I am the target of such.

I responded to his friendly greeting and then he asked me if the kids know Hebrew. Not much, I said.

Then this bare-headed gentleman says to me, "When I was his age (pointing to the 3-year old), I had long curly payos and no hair on my head!" He patted his full head of hair to indicate how bald he was.

I smiled and sort of nodded, yes. What else could I say?

He continued. "And I went to cheder. [He pronounced it Chy-der]."

He went on to tell me the name of the town in Hungary he grew up in, and to throw out names like Halbershtam, Ashkenazi and Reb Yoelish. He spoke about the Ruv (pronounced Roov) in his city.
His wife, who looked as secular as her husband, also came from a little town in Hungary, she said.

I listened politely, and nodded and smiled at this old yid recounting his memories. And I said, "Yes, we don't forget our childhood experiences." Because I didn't have anything smarter to say.

The owner of the store returned with my son's glasses, now repaired, and he put them on.

The elderly man says to my son, "Now that you have glasses, you have to make sure to be a good student and learn well."

My son smiled and said ok.

Then the man said, "And you know who doesn't need glasses? Hakadosh Baruch Hu!
He doesn't need glasses. He doesn't need a microscope or a telescope or a horoscope. He can see everything from one end of the world to the other, and He knows exactly what's going to happen in the future!"

He was full of passion as he delivered his little mussar talk. (I don't think my son knows what a horoscope is, but the rest he got.)

Then we said goodbye to the couple and walked out of the store.

Like I said, I know when I'm being bageled, but I always leave the experience a little bit richer for it.

ewwpeas20

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:25 pm
This is beautiful! Thx for sharing.

Java

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:29 pm
Love it!!! Not sure inspirational is the right word either but definitely a sweet story

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:35 pm
Java wrote:
Love it!!! Not sure inspirational is the right word either but definitely a sweet story

They should make a forum called random thoughts, or something like that. (Anon-enabled.)

NechaMom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 11:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
They should make a forum called random thoughts, or something like that. (Anon-enabled.)

I think it’s in the perfect forum!
There’s actually so much inspiration in your story!!
Thanks for sharing!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 12:02 am
Indeed very inspiring!
Seeing your son made his Pintele yid shine. You woke up part of his neshama.

jflower

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:30 am
What does bageling mean?

jflower

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:32 am
I found an explanation:

The term "bageling" refers to when a Jew uses a Jewish word or phrase in a conversation, or in the vicinity of a stranger who is also clearly Jewish, in order to inform them that they are also Jewish.

shirachadasha

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:47 am
Thank you for sharing. I do find it inspiring. Maybe others don't want to use that word because the story is about people who stopped being frum. The way I see it, the status quo was that the couple wasn't frum the day before they met you. On the day they met you, they thought about Hashem and so did you and your son. Mesilas Yeshorim says the purpose of life is להתענג על ה' ולהנות מזיו שכינתו.

I'm also inspired by your thoughtful response which acknowledged his comments and skillfully evaded some obvious inconsistencies.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:12 am
Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

Aside from the pleasure of meeting this lovely couple, this encounter reminded me that the things we learn and experience as children leave an indelible impression on us. This man has obviously lived through much in his 80-odd years, yet the memories of his cheder, his rebbe, and his town Ruv were still vivid in his mind. Talking about them animated him. Seeing my yarmulka-clad sons obviously sparked those memories of long ago.

It was a sobering thought for me as I walked home with my three little boys, and a reminder that their memories are being created in these very moments.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:16 am
Of course many non-frum Jews have deep connections with HaShem.

And any Jew who lived 80 years ago in Hungary either lived through or escaped the Shoah. Don't judge.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:15 am
DrMom wrote:
Of course many non-frum Jews have deep connections with HaShem.

And any Jew who lived 80 years ago in Hungary either lived through or escaped the Shoah. Don't judge.

On the contrary, any Jew who lived through the shoah has my greatest respect. I don't think anyone on this thread was judging, least of all me.

I walked away from that encounter feeling inspired and connected to that man, although we have never met before. That is what I was trying to convey.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:57 pm
Aw, I really enjoyed your sweet story!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational