Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Accepted a job, need to name my price
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 8:17 pm
I just accepted a job at a boys yeshiva elementary school in NY. I have over fifteen years of experience and BH am coming in highly recommended. However, all of my experience has been in smaller school, across several out of town communities. I'm discussing salary tomorrow and am looking for a the range of what I can ask for. 4th grade, 20-25 kids, no assistant, mon-thurs. What is the upper limit of the going range?

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 9:21 pm
I don't know but to help future respondents: full day or half day (what times/how many hours?) Do you have credentials other than experience?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 13 2023, 10:04 pm
Don’t tell them how much you want. Let them tell you what they are willing to pay.
You might quote something lower than what they are thinking about.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:22 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Don’t tell them how much you want. Let them tell you what they are willing to pay.
You might quote something lower than what they are thinking about.

This is what I'm scare of. I really don't know the range for an in-town, full size class. I know it's a range, and I know that they are willing to pay on the higher end of the range, I just don't know what that range is exactly. If I'm put on the spot and have to give a number, I don't want to shoot too low or too high.

It's fourth grade, around 3.5 a day, four days a week.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:25 am
Bump?
Would it help if I post with my name so I can get dms?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:25 am
I would never give them an amount. I would say what are you willing to pay and then negotiate. Also I would never say ok on the spot after they give An amount. Always say “Thanks so much, I’d like to discuss it and get back to you” . This leaves you with an opening to ask for more.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:32 am
I really don’t know what’s normal but I would guess 80?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:36 am
amother Fern wrote:

I think you’re living in dream land 😂. She’s lucky if they will offer her 35k for a regular boys English teaching job. That’s my guess.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:40 am
amother Fern wrote:

80k for working 14 hours a week? Highly doubtful.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:42 am
My boys yeshiva starts at 28k for 12 hours a week. With 15 years experience I would want closer to 40.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:56 am
I have a masters degree and experience. At a Modox school for half a day my starting salary is 40-50k and I'd want closer to 50

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:59 am
Also the more yeshivish boys schools tend to have very limited homework and tests so the grading is usually less.

I cant remember then last time my son (now in 6th) came home with english homework and he rarely mentions tests.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:24 am
amother Fern wrote:

Wow...I really don't think so. I want to ask for $40k but will probably err on the side of caution and ask for $38...wish I had the guts to ask for $40.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:24 am
mha3484 wrote:
Also the more yeshivish boys schools tend to have very limited homework and tests so the grading is usually less.

I cant remember then last time my son (now in 6th) came home with english homework and he rarely mentions tests.

It's fourth grade, and I know I'll be giving tests and regular homework.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow...I really don't think so. I want to ask for $40k but will probably err on the side of caution and ask for $38...wish I had the guts to ask for $40.

Even 40 sounds like a lot for the hours you will be working. How much does that come out hourly?? A modern school is different because their half day is more hours than a yeshivish boys half day.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:

I would err on the side of a higher ask. That's how they will negotiate and how you should too. You won't get $40k if you ask for less that's for sure, and the $2k diff isn't worth it imho to give up on up front.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:27 am
Also, you haven't accepted a job unless you have a complete offer to accept, including compensation.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:28 am
You’re coming from out of town so it’s not embarrassing if you overshoot what they’re used to paying. They know you don’t have experience with in town schools.

Aim for the stars. Women get paid less because they accept less. Be strong! Please don’t give up on potential money out of fear of judgement. Your family needs that money.

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:

If this is a new school talk to the admin because our parent handbook clearly state the school has a minimal homework policy. I have boys in pre1a, 2nd and 6th and the home work is very light. 4th grade boys are a real challenge. My sons class was wacko that year. It was also the year just after covid lock downs so was even worse. But I think its one of the hardest ages for a woman to teach so you should get paid well.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:34 am
amother OP wrote:

Make sure that's the schools policy. Fourth grade boys come home around 5 maybe later. The last thing they want is homework. I know my son never has homework but bh is learning a ton.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics