Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is he being overly cautious? update
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:47 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I started him on squash because I don’t have anything in the house that I can give him. It’s not like I was planning on starting him on solids soon. I didn’t think of eggs though, I’ll try that today instead. Maybe I’ll get some avocado too. When you say butter, what did you put it in? I’m pretty sure you didn’t give it plain.

I mixed it with baby cereal

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 1:58 pm
Solids is crazy for such a young age especially low weight. I would up his feedings not add solids. Babies need formula or breastmilk not nutrition from food. I also think it’s fine and he’s being overly cautious. He’s almost double his weight. It’s terrible advice to give food for weight gain, and besides studies show it’s best to wait until 6 months to prevent stomach issues.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:30 pm
I was in this situation with more than 1 kid. I finally got smart and bought myself a baby scale so I can monitor weight gain at home.

Also if baby is spitting up a lot, I would say to try to figure out if there's a particular offending food. And I found going to a chiropractor helped a lot. Sometimes it's a structural issue.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I was in this situation with more than 1 kid. I finally got smart and bought myself a baby scale so I can monitor weight gain at home.

Also if baby is spitting up a lot, I would say to try to figure out if there's a particular offending food. And I found going to a chiropractor helped a lot. Sometimes it's a structural issue.

Can you recommend a good, accurate baby scale?
Also if you have the number for a good chiropractor in the 5T area….

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:55 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Who gives squash to a baby that needs to gain weight? I started mine on full fat yogurt, butter, avocado, and runny eggs at 4 months even though bh her weight is above average.

Runny eggs? Like half raw?

I hope I’m not understanding right….

giftedmom

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:57 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
Runny eggs? Like half raw?

I hope I’m not understanding right….

Runny eggs are not raw, they’re soft boiled. Babies have been eating them for generations

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:59 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Can you recommend a good, accurate baby scale?
Also if you have the number for a good chiropractor in the 5T area….

I think mine is from target. It measures to half ounce. I've found it fairly consistent with scale at my pediatrician. If you want to know which it is, I can check for you when I get home.
I don't live in 5T but I've heard the name Dr. Harbater. I have a friend who travels to see him. She says he's amazing. Maybe check him out.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:25 pm
probiotics. probiotics, and again a very good one is 'Pro dermix' which helps with digesting the food and subsequently, the spit-up should subside.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:30 pm
babies can be allergic to eggs. Not a good food to start with.
I started solids young with one of my kids. (not for weight gain, so maybe wouldn't work well for that). First step was mixing formula or breastmilk with baby cereal. After a bit mixed the baby cereal with chicken soup. Slowly started introducing mashed veggies from chicken soup, next apple sauce, baby jars, much later start with dairy such as yogurt. You can ask you pediatrician what food he recommends you start with.

Don't intoduce too many foods at once because if he is not happy you shouldn't be confused what food is causing it. Stay away from eggs, fish, milk because babies can be dangerously allergic to them as far as I know.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:42 pm
If you suspect a sensitivity you can try switching formula. Maybe a non dairy one.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:26 pm
amother Canary wrote:
If you suspect a sensitivity you can try switching formula. Maybe a non dairy one.

Is there a way to check, short of going to an allergist or a GI? Can the ped order bloodwork to find out about dairy allergy/intolerance/sensitivity? I seem to remember him doing that when my 10 year old was about 2, but that was a while ago….

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 8:21 pm
My 1 year old was spitting up constantly as an infant. The dr recommended I go off dairy for a different issue he was having (I was nursing) within a few days he stopped spitting up so much. I've tried some dairy a few times since, every time he spits up again within a day or two.
Maybe it's just a milk sensitivity? Or sensitivity to something else?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 9:10 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
My 1 year old was spitting up constantly as an infant. The dr recommended I go off dairy for a different issue he was having (I was nursing) within a few days he stopped spitting up so much. I've tried some dairy a few times since, every time he spits up again within a day or two.
Maybe it's just a milk sensitivity? Or sensitivity to something else?

That could definitely be a possibility. I can try going off dairy, and see if that changes anything.

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:35 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
That could definitely be a possibility. I can try going off dairy, and see if that changes anything.

You probably know this already but putting it out there anyway, if you do go off dairy, make sure the formula isn't milk based, that would defeat the purpose...

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:33 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
You probably know this already but putting it out there anyway, if you do go off dairy, make sure the formula isn't milk based, that would defeat the purpose...

Yup….good reminder though, thank you! Even though I know, it’s totally something I would overlook.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:38 pm
I spoke to the ped again today, he REALLY wants me to start him on solids. He said I should start woth baby cereal, but I feel like that’s silly a week before pesach. What can I start with that’s solid (as in heavy, like baby cereal) but I can continue over preach? I’m thinking maybe I’ll do like I did with my other kid who started solids early (also around 4-4.5 months)- I put two scoops of formula in everything she ate. I started her on real solids though- not baby cereal or baby food.
I’m just a little frustrated. Isn’t finding out if there is an underlying cause better than just increasing his intake or whatever? Don’t I WANT to find out if there’s an underlying cause?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:48 pm
First thing that comes to mind is formula intolerance, especially if it's dairy based. My friends baby was constantly spitting up and had too many dirty diapers and they discovered it was dairy intolerance. She was put on a different formula (alfamino infant formula with iron) and she's a different kid, Bh!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 7:52 pm
amother Coral wrote:
First thing that comes to mind is formula intolerance, especially if it's dairy based. My friends baby was constantly spitting up and had too many dirty diapers and they discovered it was dairy intolerance. She was put on a different formula (alfamino infant formula with iron) and she's a different kid, Bh!

He doesn’t have too many dirty diapers. In fact, he doesn’t really have that many at all!! For sure not consistently at least one a day….

scintilla

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:01 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
He doesn’t have too many dirty diapers. In fact, he doesn’t really have that many at all!! For sure not consistently at least one a day….

That was my reflux baby's issue also and he was dairy and soy intolerant, put him on neocate and his weight jumped plus he was so much happier. We went to a GI and they did a stool test, quickest way to know for sure what the issue is.

I wouldn't do cereal, it's empty calories and rice cereal is high in arsenic. Try avocado, it's full of healthy fats and easy on the stomach.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:06 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I spoke to the ped again today, he REALLY wants me to start him on solids. He said I should start woth baby cereal, but I feel like that’s silly a week before pesach. What can I start with that’s solid (as in heavy, like baby cereal) but I can continue over preach? I’m thinking maybe I’ll do like I did with my other kid who started solids early (also around 4-4.5 months)- I put two scoops of formula in everything she ate. I started her on real solids though- not baby cereal or baby food.
I’m just a little frustrated. Isn’t finding out if there is an underlying cause better than just increasing his intake or whatever? Don’t I WANT to find out if there’s an underlying cause?
Pediatricians are notorious for giving lousy feeding advice.

Trust your gut.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics