Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Please share your best IKEA buys

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 11:42 am
Moving soon and would so appreciate any links to good quality home items you bought at Ikea. Furniture, lighting, etc
TYIA!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:46 pm
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/t.....3405/

This toy storage system for the playroom. We have afew sets. We're loving it. It makes cleanup a breeze.
They come in several sizes & colors as well as covers.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:51 pm
Kallax bookcase, a few beds , a light fixture but ten years ago

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:24 pm
Billy bookcases are a staple. We have a few different color/ size configurations in different parts of the house.

I was thrilled with my custom pax closets but only if you don't have built in closets.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:27 pm
I bought lighting which went on fire. I'd never purchase anything electric there again
Their furniture is well priced and awful quality. Bi found their linens decent and some housewares. Otherwise I find them a good one college semester shop.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:50 pm
It really really depends which product. Some are solid and some are junk, you have to know what you're dealing with and read reviews online.

I had two bunk beds that held up marvelously even after disassembling, moving, and reassembling. Not junk at all. One was the solid metal one, one is the loft bed with the desk under. Metal one I had for years and used heavily with no issues. The other one I haven't had as long and also don't use as heavily but it looks very very sturdy and we are the second owners.

Kallax is known for being more decorative, they look nice, they usually hold up well enough for what they're meant for but don't bother trying to move them to a new home because they don't move well.

Pax moved decently but I want to reinforce the corners so they don't lean/buckle. The frames are not the strength, the drawers/shelves hold it all together more. My drawers are doing great. The shelves can't handle serious weight but you can turn them over every few years to keep them from buckling too badly.

My billies have held up surprisingly great. They're a cheaper item and made of particleboard or mdf or whatever so I thought they would get stressed out after some time. The backs aren't the best but the shelves are doing GREAT. I kept sefarim on them for years and I don't see bending. However, I have had these a long time and I can't say if they still make them like they used to.

Trofast looks rock solid, haven't had them myself but seen at a bunch of friends. I know they have been moved, resold, etc.

I had a set of kitchen cabinet drawers, not sure what the series is called. I abused them. They held up ok but not spectacularly. Some sagging, gapping between doors/drawers, like I said I abused them but that tends to happen in a kitchen so I'm kind of medium on recommending them. Depends on your circumstances and what other options you have I guess.

I had a basic table+legs that seemed to be holding up fine but it was a temporary arrangement so I don't know how long it would have kept enduring. But I didn't expect any issues.

I know there are cheaper sets of drawers and beds that are known to be flimsy so you just need to check online which ones are which. With a little savvy you can really do well at Ikea.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
I bought lighting which went on fire. I'd never purchase anything electric there again
Their furniture is well priced and awful quality. Bi found their linens decent and some housewares. Otherwise I find them a good one college semester shop.

Was it an professionally installed? I know so many people who get light fixtures from Ikea.
What happened?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:47 pm
seeker wrote:
It really really depends which product. Some are solid and some are junk, you have to know what you're dealing with and read reviews online.

I had two bunk beds that held up marvelously even after disassembling, moving, and reassembling. Not junk at all. One was the solid metal one, one is the loft bed with the desk under. Metal one I had for years and used heavily with no issues. The other one I haven't had as long and also don't use as heavily but it looks very very sturdy and we are the second owners.

Kallax is known for being more decorative, they look nice, they usually hold up well enough for what they're meant for but don't bother trying to move them to a new home because they don't move well.

Pax moved decently but I want to reinforce the corners so they don't lean/buckle. The frames are not the strength, the drawers/shelves hold it all together more. My drawers are doing great. The shelves can't handle serious weight but you can turn them over every few years to keep them from buckling too badly.

My billies have held up surprisingly great. They're a cheaper item and made of particleboard or mdf or whatever so I thought they would get stressed out after some time. The backs aren't the best but the shelves are doing GREAT. I kept sefarim on them for years and I don't see bending. However, I have had these a long time and I can't say if they still make them like they used to.

Trofast looks rock solid, haven't had them myself but seen at a bunch of friends. I know they have been moved, resold, etc.

I had a set of kitchen cabinet drawers, not sure what the series is called. I abused them. They held up ok but not spectacularly. Some sagging, gapping between doors/drawers, like I said I abused them but that tends to happen in a kitchen so I'm kind of medium on recommending them. Depends on your circumstances and what other options you have I guess.

I had a basic table+legs that seemed to be holding up fine but it was a temporary arrangement so I don't know how long it would have kept enduring. But I didn't expect any issues.

I know there are cheaper sets of drawers and beds that are known to be flimsy so you just need to check online which ones are which. With a little savvy you can really do well at Ikea.

Thank you so much for your detailed post!

alef12

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 6:58 pm
Very happy with the billy bookshelves that we've had for a decade. Bought an ikea bed and matching bookshelves that we've had for like 20 years now (discontinued)
Hemnes bed that's about 10 years old and still looks beautiful. Same with Hemnes nightstands. I have an ikea desk in my sewing room that's over 25 years old. And four other newer ikea desks in various places in the house. Had a Lack cofee table that lasted almost a decade and only now needs to be replaced (it was under $30 when I bought it now it's $45)
Various chairs including a swivel desk chair that is great.

I once had bad experience with a chest of drawers that the ball bearings fell out of the slides but otherwise have been overall very happy.

Planning on getting most of the furniture for my daughter (who is getting married in a month ) from Ikea. Our entire furniture budget would pay for a few chairs from a "frum" furniture store.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:06 pm
Also very happy with the Billy bookcases, desk and nightstand
Anyone moved with them?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:

Which light fixture? Was it correctly installed?
We just got fixtures from ikea.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:11 pm
I moved with one of my billys, it was fine. Did not disassemble it.

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 7:53 pm
Good luck with your move!

Our favs are the following, all been assembled and dismantled and reassembled!

Billy's
Besta's
Pax's (the half size are stronger than full size but we have both and u can make them look fitted)
Malm drawers (have in many sizes, some had 20+ years!)
Dining table that extends (not sure name but had for 10 years +)
Shoe cabinet with 4 compartments not sure name
Slakt bed with spare bed underneath (sleepovers) and storage

All still look good after years of use BH!

We're big ikea fans Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics