Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I work 33 or 38 hours per week?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:45 pm
I am considered full time. I get salary. Every 2 week, my paycheck is the same.
Most people who work in my office get a 1 hour break every day. So they work total of 38 hours per week but take a 1 hour break midday every day. I skip the break and leave early (office if ok with that.)
when calculating how much I make per hour how do I take into account. . .
how many hours I actually work every week (33 hours vs 38 hours)?
PTO?
getting paid over yom tov?

amother
Geranium

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am considered full time. I get salary. Every 2 week, my paycheck is the same.
Most people who work in my office get a 1 hour break every day. So they work total of 38 hours per week but take a 1 hour break midday every day. I skip the break and leave early (office if ok with that.)
when calculating how much I make per hour how do I take into account. . .
how many hours I actually work every week (33 hours vs 38 hours)?
PTO?
getting paid over yom tov?

I would look at a yearly calendar and see how many days you are actually working- make sure to not include the days off that you are being paid for but aren't actually working....times that by the number of hours you are actually working..(not your break, whenever you take it)
then you have how much you are making per hour...

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:52 pm
I am a recruiter. Full time salaries are calculated at 2080 hours per year. Take your salary and divide it by that number and you get an hourly rate.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:58 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I am a recruiter. Full time salaries are calculated at 2080 hours per year. Take your salary and divide it by that number and you get an hourly rate.

That’s only if you work 40 hours a week, for OP it would be 1,716 since she works 33. Lunch is not included in your paid time.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

mha3484

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 4:59 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
That’s only if you work 40 hours a week, for OP it would be 1,716 since she works 33. Lunch is not included in your paid time.

Right you can adjust the number but its the fastest way to calculate your hourly rate.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Jade wrote:

9-5 is a standard work day for a full time person.. and people get a lunch break. Lunch is included in your paid time if you are on salary.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:12 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
9-5 is a standard work day for a full time person.. and people get a lunch break. Lunch is included in your paid time if you are on salary.

No lunch is not paid. If you’re working 9-5 you’re getting paid for 37.5 hours if you get a half hour break and 35 if it’s an hour break. For a salaried employee it doesn’t really matter, but for hourly it does.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 5:13 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

No it isn’t.
I work for a national corporate healthcare provider and staff is required to punch out for lunch. Exempt employees, who are salaried and do not punch a clock, are expected to work 40 (Or however many hours they are hired for) excluding lunch. Fortunately I have the option of eating in 5 minutes at my desk. Non-exempt employees must take 1/2 hour.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:28 am
It all depends on if you "punch a clock" or are salaried. In other words- if you show up an hour late do you get paid less?
If you are salaried you lunch time doesn't matter as you get paid for the job done not for the hours you spent. If you are per hour, you get paid only for hours you work and that hour they ear lunch they need to clock out.

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 9:41 am
amother Cerise wrote:
No it isn’t.
I work for a national corporate healthcare provider and staff is required to punch out for lunch. Exempt employees, who are salaried and do not punch a clock, are expected to work 40 (Or however many hours they are hired for) excluding lunch. Fortunately I have the option of eating in 5 minutes at my desk. Non-exempt employees must take 1/2 hour.

Same.
I work for a national insurance company.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics