Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Income just got cut in half :(

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:36 pm
My income just got cut in half. Literally.
I don't want to discuss why and how.
Any ideas? Government programs? (Besides SNAP which we just applied for.) Something else I'm not thinking of?
While we always had everything we needed, we've lived simply, so I'm not quite sure what else we can cut out.
I'll take any advice. I really prefer no bashing. (As opposed to the people who love being put down, I guess?)
In case it matters, we're a family in Lakewood with children.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:38 pm
There are so many jobs available in Lakewood. A lot of those companies are desperate and willing to pay a lot. Is getting a better paying job an option?

I'm not bashing, I realize that depending on the circumstances it might not be an option.

Last edited by Notsobusy on Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:38 pm
I reopened my thread really quickly before I have to shut the computer (I'll be back later), and was so warmed to already see the hugs.
Thank you everyone, the anonymous support really means a lot.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:39 pm
Unfortunately I have no advice, but sending hugs. This sounds so hard.

ETA: If you need help for Pesach, there are some organizations that may be able to help you like tomchei shabbos or ahavas tzedakah.

Last edited by Flip Flops on Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:39 pm
Can you get onto government programs?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:40 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
There are so many jobs available in Lakewood. A lot of those companies are desperate and willing to pay a lot. Is getting a better paying job an option?

I'm not bashing, I realize that depending on the circumstances it might not be an option.

I should've mentioned that moving jobs (which we B"H have) is not an option right now, for various reasons.
But thank you!

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:43 pm
Do you qualify for unemployment? It’s tricky but sometimes you can get unemployment while working. Whatever you earn will be subtracted from the unemployment check.

Jerseycare and Wic?

Are you making Pesach? Tomchei Shabbos gives out boxes of food for Pesach.

Clothes for you and the kids -you can still apply for Ahavas Tzedakah.

Hugs, it’s really hard. I went through something similar and I thought my life was going to end. But it does get better!

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 2:45 pm
If it’s because of hours cut for reasons beyond your control, you may be able to apply for underemployment pay through the department of labor. Same portal with unemployment. You should reach out to LRRC. A social worker can help walk you through everything that’s available to you

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Mar 14 2023, 3:36 pm
SNAP, child care vouchers if you work enough hours, Medicaid, HEAP. Are there any housing programs where you are? Your best bet is to go to your local f community services office and ask them what you are eligible for. They can help you fill out the applications.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:11 am
I recently got rid of my internet access in my home, so I haven't been on here very much lately. While I don't regret that decision at all, I do miss imamother, and I come back for a visit here and there after work.

We just got this news about the change in our financial situation recently. I honestly took some time to get anxious, I was more in shock to begin with.

Yesterday I was sitting at the computer applying for food stamps. It was all sinking in. The list of things my family needs for Pesach, the general day to day that we simply have no idea how we're going to get through. Like I said, we always had everything we needed, but not much extra. We live simply and very happily BH. Now things like paying the rent became so scary. Yes, as I'm typing this I'm realizing what I'm feeling. Fear. I've never had to worry like this before. (I'm incredibly grateful, and I have been, we've always had what we needed and we are so so blessed in so many other ways. But right now, this is scary for us.)

Anyway, I suddenly had an urge to post on imamother. I told myself, why bother? You know your options, you're doing what you have to do (my husband is being incredibly positive and supportive, despite him usually being very prone to anxiety), you're looking into programs and job changes, don't ask for advice from strangers when there is none.

But I have pretty much no one I can talk to about this, (there's one close friend I know will be there for me exactly the way I need her, I'm just working up the courage to tell her...) so I let it out here.

I never imagined how much anonymous support could mean to me. So I thank you all, ladies, for your warmth and encouragement and advice, I appreciate every word and the time each one of you took to try to help, whether or not it was practical for me. It's amazing to see how Jewish sisters are really all connected, no matter where we are, the backgrounds we come from...

I thought I was posting for practical advice, but it was the feelings and empathy that meant so much to me.

Okay, I'm sorry for going on and on. But this, too, was therapeutic for me!

I wish all of you only bracha and simcha and tons of hatzlacha with your Pesach prep!
May you be zoche to always be on the giving side!

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:30 am
Try to see if you can get part of your Pesach order subsidized or through an org like Masbia.
Not sure your location.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Mar 15 2023, 8:43 am
I don’t have concrete advice but wanted to offer support and hugs

The best advice is to try not to stress and maintain the happy environment for your kids and your marriage.

❤️❤️❤️

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 1:49 pm
I've been wanting to get back to this thread for a while.

Before Pesach was very very confusing.
I went from "What???" to terrible fear, to just totally confused.

My husband got some gift cards from some people that helped us tremendously to make Pesach. Bechasdei Hashem, we had everything we needed. We went to my parents for second days, so that was taken care of.

Baruch Hashem, things are improving.
My husband was able to make some changes in his job with a significant salary increase. We're still very tight, but a lot more manageable.

Unfortunately, we're now just above the limit to receive SNAP (food stamps).

I'm still confused, often. What to spend on, what to cut out, how to decide importance...

But I've had many instances of seeing Hashem's Hand in everything we're going through, and that is so comforting and reassuring.

Besides for one close friend, I haven't been able to share this with anyone. Recently, in one week, I got three offers for cleaning help. I had to come up with reasons I didn't "want" a cleaning lady... Then a family simcha where I was asked to contribute a significant amount to a gift, which previously would've been totally normal, but now seems overwhelming. It's hard keeping low about basics that didn't used to be a big deal.

Thanks for the support I get here, it's good to be able to share anonymously.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics