Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries
Does anyone know how to make playdough?

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:21 pm
I need the recipe for play dough and goop I think it has glue and flour but I'm not sure, thanks!

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:49 pm
Sorry, I don't have a recipe. But, you have to make it without cream of tartar, or get a kosher substitute. I think cream of tartar is made up with wine.

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 9:53 pm
LOL! I just found this on google. It looks like fun!

Edible Peanut Butter Playdough
A fun way to entertain the children on a rainy day.
1 (18 ounce) jar creamy peanut butter
6 tablespoons honey
3/4 cup non-fat powdered milk
4 servings Change size or US/metric
Change to: servings US Metric
10 minutes 10 mins prep
Very Happy

zigi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 10:09 pm
thanks! I'll try it.it sounds healthier than the peanut butter balls in the purple cook book! sugar margarine and peanut butter.

tzivi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2005, 10:11 pm
I also think I might try it... I am always worried that my little kids will eat the playdough. I might even encourage them to eat this one! lol LOL

chavs

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 7:29 pm
1 cup flour
1 TBSP oil
1 cup water
1/2 salt
2 tsp cream of tarter

Mix dry ingredients in a pan
Add wet ingredients and mix together
Cook over a low to medium heat
Stir constantly until mixture forms a ball no more than five minutes. Make sure
you don't dry it out too much.

I add the food color while I am cooking it. You can add paste color, fluid colo
r, or koolaid.

(How are you?)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 7:32 pm
they sell kosher cream of tartar, no? I didn't even know it had kashrus problems -- not that I even know what it is or have ever used it! I've just heard of it.

tzivi

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 11:01 pm
btw, I just realised something important... don't use the peanut butter playdough recipe if your child is chas vesholom allergic to peanuts!

Sorry, I should have said that in the beginning.

zigi

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 10:00 pm
its ok I realized that thanks LOL

Chanie

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 10:44 am
tzivi wrote:
Sorry, I don't have a recipe. But, you have to make it without cream of tartar, or get a kosher substitute. I think cream of tartar is made up with wine.

Don't know about Aus., but we have kosher cream of tarter in the stores in the US and Canada.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 9:09 pm
We also have kosher cream of tartar.. actually I only needed it once when I wanted to make snow kisses and it called for cream of tartar. then of course they didn't sell it yet, when they did I bought it w/out a reason, just to have it in case I need it.
Goop is very easy to make.. it's corn starch and water... I can check with s/one how much water and corn starch but I think you can judge yourself, just start with a bit of each until you get the right consistency... I love goop, it's sooo interesting.

chen

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 8:55 am
brachad wrote:
they sell kosher cream of tartar, no? I didn't even know it had kashrus problems -- not that I even know what it is or have ever used it! I've just heard of it.

Cream of tartar is is the common name for potassium hydrogen tartrate, which is used, among other things, for stabilizing and fluffing up beaten egg whites and baked goods. You can use white vinegar instead for egg whites; vinegar can be used but is somewhat less successful in many baked goods. You can also skip the cream of tartar altogether; the product will have a less professional look and texture but taste should not be affected.

The kashrut issue lies in the fact that one source of cream of tartar is wine sediment. Kosher cream of tartar is made either from kosher wine under kosher supervision, or, more likely, from synthetic sources.

lucky

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 12:21 pm
NotYetAMommy wrote:
We also have kosher cream of tartar..

NYAM, Where did you find cream of tartar??? I haven't seen it yet...

miriam

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 5:46 pm
lucky wrote:
NotYetAMommy wrote:
We also have kosher cream of tartar..

NYAM, Where did you find cream of tartar??? I haven't seen it yet...

I found it at the kosher store here in Pittsburgh. I think the brand was Tones, not a Jewish company. It was probably over priced but I was excited that I found it kosher. I actually want to use it in baking. I have seen it in commercial pie crusts that I wanted to try to make/imitate.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Tue, Nov 29 2005, 8:14 pm
Lucky, in Friendly's Supermarket.. or it couldve been Grand Food.. I dont remember...
Once I almost put it in another cake instead of Vanilla sugar... as the container looks the same..
I'm not home tonight, but I'll check the brand.

zigi

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 11:04 pm
thanks for the goop recipe it worked and it was really fun LOL

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Dec 16 2005, 3:01 am
I'm glad to hear that zigi.

zigi

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 9:18 pm
I found kosher cream of tarter in kol tuv in ch, the brand is mccormick I think that it can be found in supermarkets out of town its a national brand it is an o u
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Child-related inquiries